HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
It's crazy because the players have insight to ONE guy... well 2 if you count Collins. I'd bet quite a few wanted Collins to stay.

the players have close relationships with their coaches. That's good... the way it should be. But they are NOT objective. And if your hiring a coach for the long term, you need to be objective.
Ok, let’s see how things work out in a couple of years. This is Gailey 2.0 at best.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
So is that a yes or a no? I mean surely a .500 record as head coach speaks for itself right?
NOT in BK's case.

He had no off-season, no spring practice, limited time to adjust the practice schedule, no way to prevent player defections due to issues with TFG.

A new HC is going to have nine months to get ready for kickoff next September. BK had a few days to prepare for his first HC game.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Knowing what we know now, I think we could have had six, possibly 7, this year. I might even say eight.

Losses being Clemson, Ole Miss, UGA and one from the field. But weren't all the others winnable if we had been coached well beginning last December?
We lost to UVA and Miami with Key. I don't think him being the coach from week 1 instead of week 4 changes that - we lost because our QBs got injured.

UCF is probably the only game I could see flipping if Key were driving from the beginning.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
NOT in BK's case.

He had no off-season, no spring practice, limited time to adjust the practice schedule, no way to prevent player defections due to issues with TFG.

A new HC is going to have nine months to get ready for kickoff next September. BK had a few days to prepare for his first HC game.

So context only matters for Key and not other coaches? Because that's what the other poster was basically saying for Fritz. That the record speaks for itself and context doesn't matter.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
If you want >.500 and are proposing Key you're putting a LOT of faith in big recruiting and player development issues just improving overnight without Collins. I wouldn't blame an AD for not being willing to bet on that. I haven't seen this year's final stats, but it seems like the offense has gotten worse basically every year up to now...

If certain donors truly wanted Key so badly that they sabotaged talks with Chadwell... that's just extremely poor judgement, and sucks for all of us. It certainly doesn't make me confident in their judgement about Key! That might not be fair to Key, but if you were in the situation that a done deal was ruined by people trying to force something on you, and you already doubted the wisdom of that option... are you just going to concede?

Key's been floated as "a stable option for a few years and then try again" which is... maybe fine... but also a low bar for an external hire to try to beat. If you're gonna hold Fritz's start at Tulane against him given the context, but *not* hold 3-and-9-times-3 against Key... 🤷‍♂️ eh...

But I would love to know more about Tulane's 2021. It can't ALL be Chip Long, right?

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Maybe.

But yes or no: Can Fritz win six games next season as HC of Georgia Tech?
I think 6 is his ceiling next year with a number of 500 seasons moving forward. We already lost our best player in Nate…you don’t replace that in the portal. If Pyron leaves we won’t win 6.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
We lost to UVA and Miami with Key. I don't think him being the coach from week 1 instead of week 4 changes that - we lost because our QBs got injured.

UCF is probably the only game I could see flipping if Key were driving from the beginning.
I disagree with you about UVA. I think if the team had mental toughness and discipline instilled in them for the entire season, spring practice, etc., they would not have had a let-down at home against Virginia.

These kids hadn't won two games in a row in their entire collegiate careers. Learning how to win takes winning. Key has started to make believers out of them.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
If you are comparing fritz vs chadwell, what would make you choose fritz if your jbatt? I mean maybe chadwell has turned us down, but if those are your two guys, who you going with?

Sorry to butt in but to me that's a tough call. If Chadwell comes here and succeeds, he'd likely bolt to the Next Big Gig whereas I think we'd be the last stop on Fritz's career so could have him longer if he succeeds. Not sure there's a marked difference in Ability To Build A Program between the 2 though.
(flips coin)
I'll take Chadwell - younger and that might translate to better recruiting.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Miami maybe. For the UVA game, we had one backup who didn't get enough previous practice time.(even though our practices supposedly gave every player equal snaps) And the best backup was on the scout team instead of practicing with the 1s.(even though we supposedly didn't have a scout team and everybody practiced with the 1s) I think that if we had a real HC at the beginning of the summer, there would have been competition at the QB position instead of what I perceive to be anointment and protection. (Not a knock at Sims. I think he is a heck of an athlete and would have been able to develop even more if he had been coached well and put into difficult situations at practice.)