HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Why are people so sure Key would accept a lesser salary, low/no buyout, or an incentive laden contract? I'm sure Key values himself as any of the other candidates do and would want to be paid fair market value for an ACC HC. I think it's quite a presumption to just say we could get him cheap for less years and no/low buyout.
Hey! That's what I was saying.

slugboy

Staff member
I keep seeing it thrown out like it's a given. If fonts here think Key is so obviously the choice and going to be great, then surely he thinks that himself and wouldn't sell himself for cheap.
There is a difference between a cheap contract and a heavily incentivized one. If you’re sure you’re not going 3-9 and confident you can make a bowl, maybe incentives aren’t so bad.

Also, I think Tech can convincingly say “we’ve lost our taste for 7 year guaranteed contracts with massive buyouts”.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I keep seeing it thrown out like it's a given. If fonts here think Key is so obviously the choice and going to be great, then surely he thinks that himself and wouldn't sell himself for cheap.
He wouldn't be selling himself cheap. Total comp is the same. It's only the variable vs fixed component that is debatable.

Better to be a P5 head coach talking extension than a coordinator on salary.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Freeze to AU seems about perfect, sleazy dude to a sleazy cheating program- they deserve each other.
Why would Chadwell go take another G5 job?
Good point. I was thinking that the Liberty job might pay more, and I don't know if JChadwell might like being on the campus of a Christian university.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Context guys, it matters. The context here is that Tulane does not see 7 or 6 win seasons EVER, like ever ever. So he brought them from worst program in the nation territory to middle to upper pack G5, that's pretty dang good.
Context, come on man…the record speaks for itself. Fritz will be a big mistake. Let’s talk in a couple of years.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Most people complaining loudly the last day have likely never interviewed anyone let alone hired someone.
I was the hiring manager responsible for selecting all new engineering hires for my company in the early 2000s. I had a pretty good track record of finding quality engineers using an informal interview process that relied more on scenario questions that I would make up on the spot and seeing how quickly and acutely the candidate answered. One time I interviewed a GT IE Senior who had a 3.7 GPA. My initial reaction was he would not be a good hire. But he had an extremely slow speech cadence with a heavy Southern drawl. So, for some reason, I doubted my gut. I asked three coworkers to interview him to see if I was just being prejudiced to his speaking style. They all loved and highly recommended him. So, I hired him. It was a mistake. He failed miserably and was the only person I have hired that i have had to fire for poor performance. The lesson i learned is that when you are responsible for the hire, your own counsel you should seek as to whether you should hire someone. You shouldn't defer to others, especially fans on an internet board.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
The impetus for any exodus (mass or otherwise) is not on the AD that was hired about a month ago. Not even close.

Players picking their coach is crazy-talk.
Why is it crazy talk? Sometimes it’s best to listen to the braves and not the chiefs. They know what’s going on in the program. Batt has been here one month.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Why are people so sure Key would accept a lesser salary, low/no buyout, or an incentive laden contract? I'm sure Key values himself as any of the other candidates do and would want to be paid fair market value for an ACC HC. I think it's quite a presumption to just say we could get him cheap for less years and no/low buyout.
Key might realize that he has less experience than some of the other candidates. Therefore, he might propose to take a lower salary in year 1 in order to free up some compensation money for upgraded coordinators and coaches he feels Tech needs to upgrade.

budweisersong404

Georgia Tech Fan
You all can disagree. But it seems to me that hiring a “rebuild coach” like Fritz could wind up turning into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

In my opinion, by hiring a coach that isn’t well known and specializes in rebuilds, our program will be destined for a rebuild. Part of the reason for this, as we’re beginning to see now, is our best players leaving.

If we hired Chadwell, Key, or even BOB, I feel that a bowl next year would be extremely feasible. Now that it appears we’re set on Fritz and our best players are leaving, a bowl next season is a complete question mark. Will we pull in transfers? Probably. Will they be wild cards? Also yes.

I’m afraid we’re just making this way harder than it needs to be and putting ourselves in “rebuild mode” when our current roster finished the season around .500 with multiple top 25 wins on the road. But as always, time will tell. I hope I eat my words. I’m just unsure we need a complete rebuild.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Knowing what we know now, I think we could have had six, possibly 7, this year. I might even say eight.

Losses being Clemson, Ole Miss, UGA and one from the field. But weren't all the others winnable if we had been coached well beginning last December?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Why is it crazy talk? Sometimes it’s best to listen to the braves and not the chiefs. They know what’s going on in the program. Batt has been here one month.
It's crazy because the players have insight to ONE guy... well 2 if you count Collins. I'd bet quite a few wanted Collins to stay.

the players have close relationships with their coaches. That's good... the way it should be. But they are NOT objective. And if your hiring a coach for the long term, you need to be objective.