HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yep! Way to piss off the whole entire fan base J Batt. Good job buddy. All I can say is this better pan out or you might be fired along with the HC.
What exactly had Batt done to piss you off? or anybody? He might when you actually know of something that he has done, but to this point we don't know anything. Internet forums and misguided reporters are not factual.

slugboy

Staff member
How is this outside of his control? He knew he had one job when he was hired, how many programs have already hired their coach, thus minimized instability. He needed to be prepared to make this call when the season ended, now he is looking like the first time AD that he is. We can't afford for him to @#$% this up, but he needs to make a call.

This is a frustrating situation, but
1. the grapevine is really unreliable and we’re not getting a clear picture of what’s going on. The signal-to-noise ratio here is a ton of noise and very little to no signal at all.
2. This isn’t a “making a call” situation. First, the candidates have to accept. Second, we brought him here because we don’t have a war chest, and he’s here to fix that. Making a glamor hire requires a war chest, and he got hired into a tight financial situation AND he’s got to make a head coaching hire with very few resources at his disposal. He’s having to financially and politically McGyver this thing. It’s like the professor trying to get the castaways off of Gilligan’s Island with what he could make out of coconuts and things he found on the beach.

If you get brought into Notre Dame as AD and you need to make a hire, you at least have the tools you need to do the job. We had a financial and football coaching dumpster fire when Batt was brought in, and he is missing most of the tools to do his job. Aside from baseball, volleyball, tennis, and golf, Batt got brought into a warehouse of multiple dumpster fires and got handed a squirt gun. It’s possible that boosters are trying to cut off what water supply he has. Keep that in mind.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly, it's just ridiculous at this point. I can't believe JBatt is doing all the things that anonymous internet message board fonts are saying he's doing! Also, what's with the crap he's pulling that the reporters are tweeting and writing about and then retracting??? After all that, he's not even coming out publicly to reassure me that he's not screwing up this private search the way my imagination tells me he is! Shame! He should be fired. Tech will never recover from his incompetence.
Not a public word from our AD or president, yet people are jumping on every rumor and treating it as fact, as something to hold against them, and at times are actually getting angry over it. Stop trying to control the outcome, just let it happen and accept the results. If you don't like the result, then feel free to constructively criticize.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
How is this outside of his control? He knew he had one job when he was hired, how many programs have already hired their coach, thus minimized instability. He needed to be prepared to make this call when the season ended, now he is looking like the first time AD that he is. We can't afford for him to @#$% this up, but he needs to make a call.
Let's see.....

First, You have no idea what J Batt is doing, who he is hiring, or why he has not announced the new head coach. His job is to find the best coach for the job. If that person is making us wait a week to make the hire and J Batt believes the benefits of the new coach outweighs the cons of delaying the hire, then let him make that case. Until then, he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Regardless, his job is not to cater to the whims of every player on the roster.

Second, You have no idea why Nate is leaving or whether any coaching announcement would have any impact on his decision. Anyone who thought the roster would remain intact if we just announced Key or another coach is kidding themselves.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's see.....

First, You have no idea what J Batt is doing, who he is hiring, or why he has not announced the new head coach. His job is to find the best coach for the job. If that person is making us wait a week to make the hire and J Batt believes the benefits of the new coach outweighs the cons of delaying the hire, then let him make that case. Until then, he deserves the benefit of the doubt. Regardless, his job is not to cater to the whims of every player on the roster.

Second, You have no idea why Nate is leaving or whether any coaching announcement would have any impact on his decision. Anyone who thought the roster would remain intact if we just announced Key or another coach is kidding themselves.
You are correct, I have no idea what Blatt is doing. Just hope he has an idea. And yes I admit frustration in thinking this should be done, but if we are waiting a week to hire Willie Fritz, that to me is a let down.

SunBum

Georgia Tech Fan
This is a frustrating situation, but
1. the grapevine is really unreliable and we’re not getting a clear picture of what’s going on. The signal-to-noise ratio here is a ton of noise and very little to no signal at all.
2. This isn’t a “making a call” situation. First, the candidates have to accept. Second, we brought him here because we don’t have a war chest, and he’s here to fix that. Making a glamor hire requires a war chest, and he got hired into a tight financial situation AND he’s got to make a head coaching hire with very few resources at his disposal. He’s having to financially and politically McGyver this thing. It’s like the professor trying to get the castaways off of Gilligan’s Island with what he could make out of coconuts and things he found on the beach.

If you get brought into Notre Dame as AD and you need to make a hire, you at least have the tools you need to do the job. We had a financial and football coaching dumpster fire when Batt was brought in, and he is missing most of the tools to do his job. Aside from baseball, volleyball, tennis, and golf, Batt got brought into a warehouse of multiple dumpster fires and got handed a squirt gun. It’s possible that boosters are trying to cut off what water supply he has. Keep that in mind.
This is all well and good, and I believe the scenario you describe is probably pretty accurate. So I'm just wondering why, rather than try to make a longer-term hire at this point - one that probably involves a significant buyout cost, $4MM per year for 6 years and a hefty buyout owed if it doesn't workout, we don't give Key a shot, no buyout owed, maybe $3MM a year for 4 years and much smaller buyout. Maybe throw a bit more in the mix for a hotshot O.C. Let Key see what he can do for a couple of years while ADJB rights the financial ship. If it's a bust, then wouldn't we theoretically be in a better position then to make the 'glamour' hire?

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
I think people frequently get caught up in the idea that there is a best candidate, and everyone else is thus not the best candidate. But that's not really true for any job ever: there's usually a pretty large set of people who can do the job, some better than others in one way, and some better than others in another way. There are good and bad hires, but never one true best hire: just different degrees of good.

And sometimes a theoretically good hire can fail for reasons that nobody could have predicted.

slugboy

Staff member
This is all well and good, and I believe the scenario you describe is probably pretty accurate. So I'm just wondering why, rather than try to make a longer-term hire at this point - one that probably involves a significant buyout cost, $4MM per year for 6 years and a hefty buyout owed if it doesn't workout, we don't give Key a shot, no buyout owed, maybe $3MM a year for 4 years and much smaller buyout. Maybe throw a bit more in the mix for a hotshot O.C. Let Key see what he can do for a couple of years while ADJB rights the financial ship. If it's a bust, then wouldn't we theoretically be in a better position then to make the 'glamour' hire?

If you look around this board, maybe half of the people here want to cut any and all ties to the last coaching regime. While we’re hearing a lot from the boosters and players that want to keep Key, there are probably quite a few boosters that want him gone. Cabrera may want a clean start (I don’t know that he does want a clean start, but if Cabrera does it would be nearly impossible for Batt to hire Key).

Last time, we trusted the AD with the choice. This time, I think Batt is getting less leeway and more oversight than Stansbury did. Especially on the contract.

While you and I might be happy with Key, especially if he got a few solid offensive coaches including a shrewd coordinator, Batt is probably dealing with people on the search committee that wouldn’t be happy with Key at all. Batt has one of the loudest voices in this discussion, but he’s not a soloist.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think people frequently get caught up in the idea that there is a best candidate, and everyone else is thus not the best candidate. But that's not really true for any job ever: there's usually a pretty large set of people who can do the job, some better than others in one way, and some better than others in another way. There are good and bad hires, but never one true best hire: just different degrees of good.

And sometimes a theoretically good hire can fail for reasons that nobody could have predicted.
Most people complaining loudly the last day have likely never interviewed anyone let alone hired someone.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Again, give Key a small base contract and large incentive payments for bowls, win bowls, win Coastal etc. Win-win.