HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I disagree with you about UVA. I think if the team had mental toughness and discipline instilled in them for the entire season, spring practice, etc., they would not have had a let-down at home against Virginia.

These kids hadn't won two games in a row in their entire collegiate careers. Learning how to win takes winning. Key has started to make believers out of them.
Fair point. Personally, I think there were two ways we win that game with how we were playing - Sims stays healthy and wills us to a win, or Pyron isn't buried on the bench and has his coming out party a bit earlier. I suppose the latter would have happened without Geoff F Collins, too.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
So context only matters for Key and not other coaches? Because that's what the other poster was basically saying for Fritz. That the record speaks for itself and context doesn't matter.
Context is EVERYTHING.

If you come home from work to find your living room furniture destroyed, you will respond differently if the culprit is:

A. Your dog
B. Your three-year old child
C. Your 18-year-old son and his dope-smoking buddies
D. Your ex-wife who still has a key.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
We lost to UVA and Miami with Key. I don't think him being the coach from week 1 instead of week 4 changes that - we lost because our QBs got injured.

UCF is probably the only game I could see flipping if Key were driving from the beginning.
and not being prepared after 10 days against uva. with a hurt qb going into the game and not having the backup prepared.

DiffusedAcorn

Jolly Good Fellow
If you are comparing fritz vs chadwell, what would make you choose fritz if your jbatt? I mean maybe chadwell has turned us down, but if those are your two guys, who you going with?
I'm partial to Chadwell but the Fritz argument would be that he has experience at an Academic school like Tulane while Chadwell has been at not that in Coastal.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
No ****. I'm not the one arguing that context isn't important. Go back to the beginning of the conversation.
Well. That's very different.

1669691575213.png

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Knowing what we know now, I think we could have had six, possibly 7, this year. I might even say eight.

Losses being Clemson, Ole Miss, UGA and one from the field. But weren't all the others winnable if we had been coached well beginning last December?
Add FSU as a def loss

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
As time passes, I grow more convinced Fritz was hired and got GT to agree to not make a formal announcement until after Tulane’s game on Saturday. I’m expecting an announcement he’s the coach Saturday evening or Sunday.

The alternative is a small and (imo) steadily declining possibility that we are somehow cleverly playing multiple interested candidates. Hey I’m wrong at least once a day, so we’ll see.

Certainly understand Fritz wanting the job - his record at Tulane was just ok before this year, and he’s 62 years old. If he’s gonna jump to P5 this is his chance.

I agree with a post made earlier - bypassing Key to hire Fritz will put some real heat on Fritz from fans wanting quick results. Hard to imagine everyone being ok with 3-4 wins again next year, under the banner of “rebuilding”.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Context is EVERYTHING.

If you come home from work to find your living room furniture destroyed, you will respond differently if the culprit is:

A. Your dog
B. Your three-year old child
C. Your 18-year-old son and his dope-smoking buddies
D. Your ex-wife who still has a key.
FWIW, I'm willing to bet that three of the four wouldn't survive the weekend.

Pick'em.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Not sure you have this quite right. I recently was with a major donor and they became very close to PJ and his family. Just can't stereotype our donors. What they all have in common is the desire for Tech to be successful. It's up to our new AD to convince them to open up their wallets to support his decision.
Maybe not, but I was told and have read in this forum that major donors seethed at Coach Johnson's antiquated high school offense. If that is true, they got their wish and 4 years of less than mediocre football has been concluded.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
As much as I loved CPJ at Tech, I would NEVER want to play against one of his teams
When I was in high school, various options were all the rage. It was difficult at best to be either an outside linebacker or a corner back in those days. You were often assigned to the pitch man who was running full steam and just as you are lining up to make the tackle, some SOB nails you on a crack back block and before you know it the football game becomes a track meet.