• Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech.
  • Bobby Hauck, UNLV.
  • Charlie Weis, Kansas.
  • Dennis Franchione, Texas State.
  • Bill Clark, UAB.
  • Mike Lieach, Washington State.
  • Hugh Freeze, Ole Miss.
  • David Cutcliffe, Duke.
You can Google NFL coaches who never played in pro (or college).

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Batt is from there… I can see it as true. BOB is the safe choice, Key is the cheap choice, Chadwell is the risk reward choice.
Pretty good summary, I guess. I don't know that much about him. He coached at Tech a while ago, he has coached in the NFL, and he is coaching at Alabama. He did a pretty good job wrecking Auburn. That is about it so I will let others more knowledgeable offer their opinions and insights. IIWII.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
They are still angry about LSU and Tennessee.
I just came from my in laws annual civil war in Alabama. The Alabama fans were complaining about losing to Tennessee and LSU (but they seemed to blame the defense, FWIW) while the Auburn fans were muttering: "We should have such problems" Does Auburn have a similar scenario going on with Carnell "Cadillac" Williams as interim head coach? He is entertaining if nothing else. A poor man's Prime Time as it were.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
You’re an idiot, real tough behind a computer screen.
Son you need to stop
Mike-Tyson-12-6-e1630999171815.jpg

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Seems like this whole back and forth could've been pre-empted if McWhorter's HC successes had just been linked to back up the claim he would've been better than Gailey, how strange!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
College Football Head Coaches Who Never Played
  • Mike Leach, Washington State.
  • George O'Leary, UCF.
  • Sonny Dykes, Cal.
  • Paul Johnson, Georgia Tech.
  • Bobby Hauck, UNLV.
  • Charlie Weis, Kansas.
  • Dennis Franchione, Texas State.
  • Bill Clark, UAB.
  • Mike Lieach, Washington State.
  • Hugh Freeze, Ole Miss.
  • David Cutcliffe, Duke.
You can Google NFL coaches who never played in pro (or college).
Its a good thing Charlie never played football, he would have had a heart attack sooner or later. When he was offensive coordinator one year at Florida he had a habit of sitting at the end of the bench and the quarterback would sit next to him. When he sat down, its a wonder the other side of the bench didn't go up in the air. He had one of those operations to lose weight but he just kept eating, didn't lose weight and sued the doctor after some complications set in.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Did the OL coach have full control over who was given a scholarship? How practices were run? When the 1's worked against the 1's?

Yeah, I can see how the OL could be badly hamstrung by the HC.

Yeah, like I said. Nothing ever lands on Key. Not even the position he is in charge of.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
That's one of those things I think we just have to assume Batt is going to be investigating and asking about himself...

OR... we could try to math it! Anyone got a prob/stats textbook handy to figure out the probability of Batt asking Key and others about how much he was or wasn't hampered by Collins, and P(Batt Passing on Key | Key Having Good Answers ∩ Batt Is Not Idiot) based on various assumed priors for P(Batt Is Not Idiot) ... or possibly we should go down to the P(Cabrera Is Not Idiot)?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, like I said. Nothing ever lands on Key. Not even the position he is in charge of.
That's an oversimplification.

Any conscientious position coach will do the best he can with what he has to work with. Any employee does. Any parent does.

But you must believe that Key is simply incompetent and unqualified to be OL coach. Why would you say that when both GOL and Saban felt otherwise?

I mean, I know you know this, but it's not like the dude's got no bona fides:

2001–2002Georgia Tech (GA)
2004Western Carolina (TE/RB)
2005UCF (GA/OL)
2006–2007UCF (TE/RC)
2008UCF (ST/TE/RC)
2009–2011UCF (OL/RC)
2012–2013UCF (AHC/OL/RC)
2014–2015UCF (AHC/OC/OL/RC)
2016–2018Alabama (OL)
2019–2022Georgia Tech (AHC/OL/RGC)
2022–presentGeorgia Tech (interim HC)