HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Unless it's from Fritz himself, it's all gossip.

I'm going to go back to the AD search: People were named, none were hired. Multiple people named weren't even candidates.

Bottom line, sit tight. GTAA is being led by new leadership and it doesn't operate like it did before.
Fritz has confirmed the conversation.

But I agree. Things are moving.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Are we now not allowed to link "Send in the Clowns" for a musical interlude?

1669600091459.png

SunBum

Georgia Tech Fan
So, just thinking out loud here, and I totally get that this shouldn't be the thinking going into this decision but if the GT money guys want Key but J.Batt wants something different, if J. 'gives in' and goes with Key, doesn't that kinda give him a mulligan to put away for later and say 'I told you so, now let me do it my way'? Kind of like getting a two for one deal for Batt? Again, I get that he shouldn't be thinking that way but it's not like Key hasn't done enough to at least be in the mix anyway...

Alternatively, if he totally bucks the money guys then isn't he putting all his chips on the table right at the get go?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So, just thinking out loud here, and I totally get that this shouldn't be the thinking going into this decision but if the GT money guys want Key but J.Batt wants something different, if J. 'gives in' and goes with Key, doesn't that kinda give him a mulligan to put away for later and say 'I told you so, now let me do it my way'? Kind of like getting a two for one deal for Batt? Again, I get that he shouldn't be thinking that way but it's not like Key hasn't done enough to at least be in the mix anyway...

If he gives in, that should definitely be his 'get outta jail free' card.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That’s not what I heard. I heard that they want both candidates (Fritz, Key, others) … actually interviewed. Less about demanding Key be hired and more about fairness.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
For reasonable, self-aware people, it would give J a mulligan, but these are likely the same people who pushed for Collins and then pretended otherwise when Collins turned out to be a train wreck. Batt needs to go with whoever he thinks will do the best job. If that happens to be the donors’ preferred candidate, great! If not, he needs to tell them “I was hired to do this job, and it’ll be my head on the floor if the wrong coach is hired. I appreciate your passion for the Institute and need your full trust and support in order to do my job to the highest degree of excellence. Anything less will result in the hiring process being compromised and likely nobody being satisfied with the result.”

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
For reasonable, self-aware people, it would give J a mulligan, but these are likely the same people who pushed for Collins and then pretended otherwise when Collins turned out to be a train wreck. Batt needs to go with whoever he thinks will do the best job. If that happens to be the donors’ preferred candidate, great! If not, he needs to tell them “I was hired to do this job, and it’ll be my head on the floor if the wrong coach is hired. I appreciate your passion for the Institute and need your full trust and support in order to do my job to the highest degree of excellence. Anything less will result in the hiring process being compromised and likely nobody being satisfied with the result.”
Sounds way to logical and prudent. That's not the GT way. Come on MAN!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just for entertainment (and to waste time until an announcement is made) I looked up Fritz's last 4 recruiting classes. From 247:

2019: #93
2020: #69
2021: #79
2022: #74

So he's going to be one of those "coach 'em up" type coaches, huh?