HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Just for entertainment (and to waste time until an announcement is made) I looked up Fritz's last 4 recruiting classes. From 247:

2019: #93
2020: #69
2021: #79
2022: #74

So he's going to be one of those "coach 'em up" type coaches, huh?
Honestly 20-22 seem higher than I would have expected at Tulane but maybe I’m undervaluing them?

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
According to the beat writer in Nola there has been a series of discussions with Fritz and an offer made to him. Fritz has not accepted the offer yet.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So, just thinking out loud here, and I totally get that this shouldn't be the thinking going into this decision but if the GT money guys want Key but J.Batt wants something different, if J. 'gives in' and goes with Key, doesn't that kinda give him a mulligan to put away for later and say 'I told you so, now let me do it my way'? Kind of like getting a two for one deal for Batt?

You would think that would be the case, but it isn't.

Batt was hired to make this hire. This will be his hire. It doesn't matter how much the $ guys, the players, their parents, or posters here pull for Key. If we hire Key and he flops, then that is falling right at the feet of Batt. And at that point he is responsible for being the AD that decided to basically just keep the staff that got his predecessor fired. That's a look that is hard to wear well.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You would think that would be the case, but it isn't.

Batt was hired to make this hire. This will be his hire. It doesn't matter how much the $ guys, the players, their parents, or posters here pull for Key anyone. If we hire Key a coach and he flops, then that is falling right at the feet of Batt. And at that point he is responsible for being the AD that decided to basically just keep the staff that got his predecessor fired. That's a look that is hard to wear well.
FIFY

stech81

Helluva Engineer
After thinking about it a bit, I’m all for hiring Fritz as HC and McGee as OC, especially if we can have a good defensive staff too (or even just keep the guys we have). Fritz would coach up our guys, McGee would address recruiting concerns, and we could find ourselves being a terror for the teams on our schedule.
and if a frog had wings he wouldn't bump his butt when he jumped

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Okay, I have now heard from two separate sources not a part of this board that have both mentioned the “no interviewing” thing. He can’t possibly be trying to hire people without an interview? This has to be a bogus rumor that has spread like wildfire
Knowing that his career as an AD may hang on this hire, there is NO WAY J Batt hires someone w/o and interview process. That rumor has to be negative propaganda

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Not sure why you bothered to fix it. The post I was quoting was supposing that the exception being talked about would only apply if we went with Key, who the $ guys are pushing for. Also, the correction doesn't really make sense with the last part of the post.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Just for entertainment (and to waste time until an announcement is made) I looked up Fritz's last 4 recruiting classes. From 247:

How does Tulane recruit historically?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

... Well Tulane is currently ranked in the Top 20... Does that answer your question?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Tulane people are pretty adamant Fritz never left New Orleans, therefore he couldn’t have been interviewed. That may be true, and it’s a fair assessment of the situation. But do they not realize that entire companies are ran off Zoom and Skype calls now? There’s no need to get on a jet and fly from NO to ATL just to do an interview. Hop on a web call and knock it out like that. It’s not like there’s any real difference between an interview over a Zoom call and one that takes place in person.

Fritz may not have ever left NO, but if the process is far enough along we’ve offered him a contract, we’ve 1000% conducted an interview. Even if the interview didn’t take place in person.