HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I have wondered if the “share your memories” fundraising book was part of a big internal reflection on the importance of athletics at GT. Who knows.

I don’t see Brent Key on anyone’s HC list, understandably given our OL. What if things noticeably turn around in next few games? My understanding is he was lined up to replace GOL at UCF. Or maybe you guys know something about his qualifications that I don’t.

I know football is different and everyone imagines some kind of magic, but if I fired someone at my company and the next in line highly qualified person stepped up and kicked ***, I would seriously consider going with them.

Yeah, I know it’s a stretch. I’m partly nervous about our track record picking the next great coach (we can afford).

I don't foresee anyone connected to this staff being retained past this season.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
underselling him a little bit. he was a solid runner just not quite as good as thomas or physical as nesbitt

people can say stuff like this but there is a minimum athletic threshold needed to be productive at this level. we can pretend it doesn’t exist but at some point you have to have the tools to play with clemson, uga, and even other top end acc teams.
1664219890175.png

I'll take that everyday. It's definitely true that with a better defense he'd be looked at a lot differently. Even his 2011 season was middle of the road QBR. His worst year was better than two of Nesbitts, one of JT's, and all of the qbs 2019 on.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Brian Harsin is in the process of getting fired at Auburn. I think he's a much better coach than what the AU boosters are painting him as and worth a look. Still, he is not the guy if the goal is NFL-Lite.
He wanted to get out of the south even without the scandal last off season. He absolutely can not recruit in the south and has no ties. He wants to Arizona state job badly. I’m a auburn fan due to my wife going there.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Question - What is the possibility that a permanent hire would take over as HC before the end of the season?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Question - What is the possibility that a permanent hire would take over as HC before the end of the season?

While not COMPLETELY out of the realm of possibility, there is almost zero chance it happens.

Edit to add: Most of the guys we are interested in wouldn't leave their teams in the middle of a regular season.

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
Brian Harsin is in the process of getting fired at Auburn. I think he's a much better coach than what the AU boosters are painting him as and worth a look. Still, he is not the guy if the goal is NFL-Lite.
He's probably looking for a "Rocky Mountain High", but I would take him.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Asked my sisters (one's a student, the other a grad) that with Harsin looking to be fired and Geoff Collins available whether they wanted Waffle House Wednesdays brought to Auburn. They had some choice words for me :ROFLMAO:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Interim, then named permanent.

Edit: He was also already on staff. Not sure we have the guy on staff to fix this mess.
What if Key is actually worse then Collins will we fire him too? I’m definitely not impressed with Chip Long so-far but he has the most O’Leary-esque personality on the coaching staff to toughen up and gut out some wins this season imo.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Paul Finebaum reports today that Tech is a program of the past and will never be relevant again. It simply doesn't have the fanbase or the booster base to attract anyone worthwhile and even if it did, it has no resources. Deion coming to Tech has no chance.

Techastrophe

Jolly Good Fellow
Paul Finebaum reports today that Tech is a program of the past and will never be relevant again. It simply doesn't have the fanbase or the booster base to attract anyone worthwhile and even if it did, it has no resources. Deion coming to Tech has no chance.
Who in the ELF is Paul Finebaum?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Well, he doesn't know either of those things and Deion coming here would invigorate the fanbase.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Well, he doesn't know either of those things and Deion coming here would invigorate the fanbase.
Is this even realistic?

"As much as there is a natural fit for Coach Prime and the city of Atlanta, and an urge to reunite the two, there are significant details that would have to be worked through. Georgia Tech’s power brokers have to decide what its identity as a college football program looks like, because just being located in Atlanta isn’t enough to compete at the highest levels. You need an elite staff, recruiting and personnel department, you need NIL commitment and opportunities, and you of course need an academic support staff for football to make sure that the players have every resource to navigate the course load you demand as a university. Clemson and Miami for example are all in. Is Georgia Tech really ready to try to compete with them? "