HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
My vote is for #teammonkenbrothers Why settle for one Monken when you can have two? Lets go for the Monken brothers team-up.

slugboy

Staff member
About Jamey Chadwell, can someone who is knowledgeable on X’s and O’s describe his offensive scheme? I feel like it’s a spread option similar to CPJ’s but run out of the pistol and shotgun and with more throwing, would that go over with our fanbase? Would it kill recruiting? Would most of our offensive players transfer if he was the choice?

Here's one play:

I’ll start with the Coastal Carolina gem with TWO unblocked defenders:

If you see something great, add it so we can see something fun.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Most of our fanbase knows almost nothing about football. So long as the offense doesn't look like we are running a draw play every other play, most people will be fine. ;)

It's only the system nerds (like me), who used to watch the blocking in order to see how a play that looked identical was completely different, who really appreciated the beauty of an under-center option offense.

JacketFan137

Banned
About Jamey Chadwell, can someone who is knowledgeable on X’s and O’s describe his offensive scheme? I feel like it’s a spread option similar to CPJ’s but run out of the pistol and shotgun and with more throwing, would that go over with our fanbase? Would it kill recruiting? Would most of our offensive players transfer if he was the choice?
on offense the only players that don’t fit from a scheme stand point are gibson and pyron. i don’t think they are capable of using their legs enough for the offense. for the rest of them it would be their personal preference, but they should be able to at least play in the offense

chadwell’s system is a lot more suited to the modern game with more passing and rpo kinda stuff. as far as recruits this is a huge unknown for chadwell and something that’s frankly getting glossed over WAYYYY too much by the guys saying he’s a must hire. he’s at a relatively unknown/upcoming g5 school with no history to recruit off of. he’s never signed above a 3* recruit, and all his classes are just kinda mid even since they’ve been so good. probably a little system and a little bit of school holding him back, but p5 is a different game and his recruiting prowess deserves as much scrutiny as anything about other candidates.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
on offense the only players that don’t fit from a scheme stand point are gibson and pyron. i don’t think they are capable of using their legs enough for the offense. for the rest of them it would be their personal preference, but they should be able to at least play in the offense

chadwell’s system is a lot more suited to the modern game with more passing and rpo kinda stuff. as far as recruits this is a huge unknown for chadwell and something that’s frankly getting glossed over WAYYYY too much by the guys saying he’s a must hire. he’s at a relatively unknown/upcoming g5 school with no history to recruit off of. he’s never signed above a 3* recruit, and all his classes are just kinda mid even since they’ve been so good. probably a little system and a little bit of school holding him back, but p5 is a different game and his recruiting prowess deserves as much scrutiny as anything about other candidates.
Pyron was an option quarterback his first couple of years in high school. He might be the best choice to run Chadwell's offense.

Techastrophe

Jolly Good Fellow
Since we are tossing out names with impunity, I am going to go with Brady Hoke. If only we can get good Brady Hoke and not bad Brady Hoke. Although I have some questions.
1) What really happened with Lucas Johnson?
2) What really happened with Michigan?
3) What's with being really hot some years and really cold other years?

Last edited:

JacketFan137

Banned
Pyron was an option quarterback his first couple of years in high school. He might be the best choice to run Chadwell's offense.
so was jameis. i’m just not sure that he’s gonna have the legs at this level to run but it’s been so long since we’ve seen him play maybe he’s gotten faster

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
so was jameis. i’m just not sure that he’s gonna have the legs at this level to run but it’s been so long since we’ve seen him play maybe he’s gotten faster
That is MILES away from claiming that he doesn't fit the scheme. For all you know, he may be the best fit for the scheme because he already knows how to play off the read keys. It's not like you have to have Michael Vick level speed to be a good option quarterback. Being able to make the correct reads 99% of the time is far more important.

JacketFan137

Banned
That is MILES away from claiming that he doesn't fit the scheme. For all you know, he may be the best fit for the scheme because he already knows how to play off the read keys. It's not like you have to have Michael Vick level speed to be a good option quarterback. Being able to make the correct reads 99% of the time is far more important.
physical tools win games and give you something to scheme around. reads only take you so far

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
It would be awesome to get back to reading all the experts analyzing our Off plays again, thats what made GTswarm great during the CPJ years
How many times can I like this comment!!! I used to record the games so that I could go back and break down the blocking and the option keys to see why a play worked or didn't work. I miss that and would love to have an offense where that would be possible - even a little bit.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Just got a text from a buddy that Joe Ham said on 680 that former players are being asked how they would feel about dropping football down to G5 or fcs. From within the program is where its being asked but not admin. Anyone else hear this?
I have wondered if the “share your memories” fundraising book was part of a big internal reflection on the importance of athletics at GT. Who knows.

I don’t see Brent Key on anyone’s HC list, understandably given our OL. What if things noticeably turn around in next few games? My understanding is he was lined up to replace GOL at UCF. Or maybe you guys know something about his qualifications that I don’t.

I know football is different and everyone imagines some kind of magic, but if I fired someone at my company and the next in line highly qualified person stepped up and kicked ***, I would seriously consider going with them.

Yeah, I know it’s a stretch. I’m partly nervous about our track record picking the next great coach (we can afford).

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Brian Harsin is in the process of getting fired at Auburn. I think he's a much better coach than what the AU boosters are painting him as and worth a look. Still, he is not the guy if the goal is NFL-Lite.

Techastrophe

Jolly Good Fellow
I have wondered if the “share your memories” fundraising book was part of a big internal reflection on the importance of athletics at GT. Who knows.

I don’t see Brent Key on anyone’s HC list, understandably given our OL. What if things noticeably turn around in next few games? My understanding is he was lined up to replace GOL at UCF. Or maybe you guys know something about his qualifications that I don’t.

I know football is different and everyone imagines some kind of magic, but if I fired someone at my company and the next in line highly qualified person stepped up and kicked ***, I would seriously consider going with them.

Yeah, I know it’s a stretch. I’m partly nervous about our track record picking the next great coach (we can afford).
Personally I have two must-haves. Don't embarrass us on the field, and don't embarrass us off the field. I think ICBK would have to show quite a lot of juice to have a chance at the permanent job but if he turn out to be elite, don't let him go.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Brian Harsin is in the process of getting fired at Auburn. I think he's a much better coach than what the AU boosters are painting him as and worth a look. Still, he is not the guy if the goal is NFL-Lite.
I would think he would be high on ASUs list. Some guys are just west coasters, I think that may have been his problem at AU, besides unrealistic expectation vs roster.

JacketFan137

Banned
Tevin Washington says "Hi" :) If he had half a defense, he would have been one of the all time winningest QBs at GT.
underselling him a little bit. he was a solid runner just not quite as good as thomas or physical as nesbitt

people can say stuff like this but there is a minimum athletic threshold needed to be productive at this level. we can pretend it doesn’t exist but at some point you have to have the tools to play with clemson, uga, and even other top end acc teams.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Personally I have two must-haves. Don't embarrass us on the field, and don't embarrass us off the field. I think ICBK would have to show quite a lot of juice to have a chance at the permanent job but if he turn out to be elite, don't let him go.
We had such a nice run of competent leaders back to O’Leary that we had forgotten there are bad game day coaches. They didn’t make the decisions you would make some times, but we played sound football and managed games for the most part.