HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
By way when Fritz was at Sam Houston his offense was very innovative. Son coached hs about 100 miles north . On saturday he and coaching buddies would go watch sam houston on . I asked why didnt he go watch baylor. Said- Fritz is making his offense work w o. any great players.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
A person who only has a following because he has bad opinions. I can't tell if he is the best sports troll of all time, or if he is truly clueless, but anything that comes out of his mouth is almost guaranteed to be worthless and intentionally inflammatory.
He's a professional troll. Prior to his ESPN gig, he had a syndicated radio sports talk show in Alabama. He would aggravate Auburn fans for a while, then change course and irritate Alabama fans. He would have them up in arms against each other. Great theater for a neutral. He pretty much filled one Alabama fan with such hate for Auburn that he poisoned their trees, then called in and took credit for doing it on air. When the soil was then tested around the trees, sure enough......

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
Because Tech doesn't have an elite staff, recruiting and personnel department, competitive NIL opportunities, and above all, a track record of developing players for a possible career in the NFL. Realistically, we are a breakeven athletic department. You're talking another $50M in football spend. I don't see it.

NIL opportunities are malleable. GT is in Atlanta with many companies headquartered here. A coach with name recognition like Deion would immediate draw NIL interest. IF he can recruit some 5 and 4 star players (and I think he would just being Deion), the NIL offers would start arriving and with somewhat significant dollars.

NIL won't come around unless we have a marquee coach OR we start signing marquee recruits. On top of that, we need to have competitive team, winning record and some top 25 time each season.

Claiming to be broke and not trying means, yeah, NIL will be non-existent. I'd call it the equivalent of pouting and taking the ball and going home.

Do we have enough $$$ and fundraising to hire a stud HC, no, but we can still hire a competent one with, and this is most important, UPSIDE. Deion has that when it comes to $$$ and recruiting. Would he have good OC/DC and coaches? I don't know. Several on the lists so far wouldn't move the NIL needle, unless they found a stud recruiting coach to add to the team.

We either need Deion for the raw upside of getting 4/5 star recruits and NIL attraction, OR we need a brilliant X/O coach with a knack for hiring good OC and DC (not just one, but above average on both sides).

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
BOB has not done anything to prove that he is a good college coach. going 8-4 and 7-5 at Penn state feels like another Collins move. Chadwell, Deion, and Hugh Freeze are the best 3 options that I could think of. No idea if any would be interested or if GT could afford them, but those would be the 3 that I feel have the highest ceiling.
Sure, let's hire Freeze and get crooked immediately. Let's face it. Georgia Tech is not a good job, and if Deion is any good, he ain't stepping sideways or even down. We have a mess and I am not sure we can unmess it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
S tier -
Jamey Chadwell - Really checks about all the boxes you can ask aside from P5 experience.

Jeff Monken - This just doesn't make sense for either him or us and it has little to do with his coaching ability. He'd be walking into a divided fanbase on day 1 and a situation that isn't conducive to early wins which will just add fuel to the flame. From our side we'd be firing a coach just to hire one who big money donors likely won't support and a good chunk of the fanbase will have negative impressions of from the get go. Just a bad fit for both parties.
1. Yes. If Tech can get him Chadwell would be easily the best hire. He'll cost some money, however.

2. You would think that gaging what we should do about a coaching choice by consulting the Big Donors™ would be completely and comprehensively refuted for the rest of Tech football history by their preferences for B*** L**** and C******. I don't think that Moncken would take the job now. He just became the second winningest coach in Army history, right behind Colonel Blake. He could surpass Blake before he's through. But he should get a call for all that; you never know. When he turns us down, we can still try for either Chadwell or Brian Bohannon and get winning football at Tech.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Really? Wow!! Just a random youtuber with 38 followers
He is a SEC butt kisser. He thinks the SEC is NFL caliber and all other conferences are chopped liver. Has a show on the SEC network of I'm not mistaken. I don't watch it. He may have played peewee football but nothing any higher.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Hilarious. I have heard this for 40+ years. "If only we did this ... the money could come rolling in."

No, it won't. It has never rolled in. We are a small school in a second class conference with limited options. We need to be smart about this simply to stay competing in D1.
Agree we suck as alumni, but once you are pretty good for a while its possible to catch lightning in bottle.
Will our sucky alumni donate? I doubt it but we cant fire them!! I hope they will at least stop w the belittling jokes about how everyone works for ga tech grad.

I hope we build with very solid asst coaches in ol , dl as those positions are not as portal happy. We should recruit an excess number in this group so we have good rotation. ( i the first few fames so far the ol has let everyone have playing time - unlike last yesr when we had the portal senior.

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
Because Tech doesn't have an elite staff, recruiting and personnel department, competitive NIL opportunities, and above all, a track record of developing players for a possible career in the NFL. Realistically, we are a breakeven athletic department. You're talking another $50M in football spend. I don't see it.
50m plus what we are already spending? That would put us top 5 in football expenditures. We don't need to spend that much to have a top 25 program year in and year out.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I just hope we make the right hire.

Just about everyone was sold on CGC back in 2018. I went back to page 140-141 to look at some of the comments and polls we did during that time. There was so much excitement about CGC. 81.2 % of the forum voters were pleased with the hire. I know hindsight is 20-20.

I just hope we make the right AD and HC hires.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
@Vespidae I know your a business man and I want to use a current business model that we could implement here at Tech and become successful. Now im sure you find flaws but just hear it out...
Domino's. They were highly successful, as we were. Went bland, as we have. Came out and said their products were terrible and vowed to make the changes needed. They did that and look at them now, back on top. Pizza Hut used to be the innovative chain, Bigfoot, stuffed crust, big new Yorker etc but they are resting on their laurels. Could the fact the the president cleaned house, put in a strategy guy to see what needs to be done to become successful been seen as a step in the right direction? Isn't that a glimmer of hope that vast change is on the way?
Our small town mayor said in his first city council meeting "If it has the city's name on it, we aught to do we can to make it great. If not, it reflects badly on us as a community." Ruffled some good ol boy feathers with that, but his vision is starting to be reality and he's winning more and more people over. PAC could be making the same statement now. If Georgia Tech is attached to it, let's make it the best we can.
I'm cautiously optimistic, but optimistic nonetheless. And hungry for pizza.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Deion has actually been here to Auburn. Last week. Has Tech even met with him?

This reminds me exactly of John Gruden and Tennessee. Everyone getting worked up over something that isn't going to happen. There is no reason for Deion to come to Tech. Zero.

IMO, I think Deion is using some schools for leverage. To what end? He's really savvy...I don't think he wants to take the monumental challenge of GT, nor does he want to step into the sh!tshow that's Auburn. Deion is going to set himself up for his next job (FSU?), and if he leaves Jackson State, it'll be for a school he knows he can win big at. That's not GT...and it's not Auburn.

No coach personally visits a school during the middle of a season, especially when the other school still has a coach unless they have another motive. Deion going to Auburn (which has been verified via flight plans) is purely optics, IMO. He wants to appear that schools want him to create demand. I've said it in other threads, I believe the demand for Deion is more social media and getting fans riled up than actual interest from P5 schools. It's 100% working...because Deion is a PR genius.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I just hope we make the right hire.

Just about everyone was sold on CGC back in 2018. I went back to page 140-141 to look at some of the comments and polls we did during that time. There was so much excitement about CGC. 81.2 % of the forum voters were pleased with the hire. I know hindsight is 20-20.

I just hope we make the right AD and HC hires.
I have been thinking about this point a lot the last week or so. What I have come to is this. I believe a scheme based coach is the way for GT to find consistent success. Relying on "out-athleting" major programs feels untenable as an approach.

The thing about CGC was that he was the full swing of the pendulum back away from what we had under CPJ.

I believe we have run this experiment to it's fullest now and so we can move forward without wondering what we could do with a "hip, recruiting forward" kind of coach.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
By way when Fritz was at Sam Houston his offense was very innovative. Son coached hs about 100 miles north . On saturday he and coaching buddies would go watch sam houston on . I asked why didnt he go watch baylor. Said- Fritz is making his offense work w o. any great players.

If Fritz was 10-15 years younger, I'd 100% be on board with his hire. Dude can flat out coach...he's definitely a "schematic advantage" coach.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree, but Wake is a good place to stay and get the lifetime achievement award though. Maybe even a statue one day.
I agree. Schools like Wake, Iowa State, etc are great spots for coaches. Win 7 games a year, coach there for 10-20 year, set your family up financially for a couple of generations, and have a statue built of you

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
NIL opportunities are malleable. GT is in Atlanta with many companies headquartered here. A coach with name recognition like Deion would immediate draw NIL interest. IF he can recruit some 5 and 4 star players (and I think he would just being Deion), the NIL offers would start arriving and with somewhat significant dollars.

NIL won't come around unless we have a marquee coach OR we start signing marquee recruits. On top of that, we need to have competitive team, winning record and some top 25 time each season.

Claiming to be broke and not trying means, yeah, NIL will be non-existent. I'd call it the equivalent of pouting and taking the ball and going home.

Do we have enough $$$ and fundraising to hire a stud HC, no, but we can still hire a competent one with, and this is most important, UPSIDE. Deion has that when it comes to $$$ and recruiting. Would he have good OC/DC and coaches? I don't know. Several on the lists so far wouldn't move the NIL needle, unless they found a stud recruiting coach to add to the team.

We either need Deion for the raw upside of getting 4/5 star recruits and NIL attraction, OR we need a brilliant X/O coach with a knack for hiring good OC and DC (not just one, but above average on both sides).
Exactly how many 4/5 stars are we going to get? How much is this going to cost? Can Tech raise the money?

Unanswered. This is wishful thinking. I'm done with it. I'm staying in Realville.
@Vespidae I know your a business man and I want to use a current business model that we could implement here at Tech and become successful. Now im sure you find flaws but just hear it out...
Domino's. They were highly successful, as we were. Went bland, as we have. Came out and said their products were terrible and vowed to make the changes needed. They did that and look at them now, back on top. Pizza Hut used to be the innovative chain, Bigfoot, stuffed crust, big new Yorker etc but they are resting on their laurels. Could the fact the the president cleaned house, put in a strategy guy to see what needs to be done to become successful been seen as a step in the right direction? Isn't that a glimmer of hope that vast change is on the way?
Our small town mayor said in his first city council meeting "If it has the city's name on it, we aught to do we can to make it great. If not, it reflects badly on us as a community." Ruffled some good ol boy feathers with that, but his vision is starting to be reality and he's winning more and more people over. PAC could be making the same statement now. If Georgia Tech is attached to it, let's make it the best we can.
I'm cautiously optimistic, but optimistic nonetheless. And hungry for pizza.
until there is a stated goal, it's all just wishful thinking.

Am I glad the GTAA took action? Yes. What's the vision? Specifically?

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Is this even realistic?

"As much as there is a natural fit for Coach Prime and the city of Atlanta, and an urge to reunite the two, there are significant details that would have to be worked through. Georgia Tech’s power brokers have to decide what its identity as a college football program looks like, because just being located in Atlanta isn’t enough to compete at the highest levels. You need an elite staff, recruiting and personnel department, you need NIL commitment and opportunities, and you of course need an academic support staff for football to make sure that the players have every resource to navigate the course load you demand as a university. Clemson and Miami for example are all in. Is Georgia Tech really ready to try to compete with them? "
Who are you quoting? He lost me at “elite.”

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Exactly how many 4/5 stars are we going to get? How much is this going to cost? Can Tech raise the money?

Unanswered. This is wishful thinking. I'm done with it. I'm staying in Realville.

until there is a stated goal, it's all just wishful thinking.

Am I glad the GTAA took action? Yes. What's the vision? Specifically?
I believe with the interim AD and his background, a vision will come from him through PAC and the new hire will reflect that. I know you've seen so much and are disappointed more often than not, but reach down and find that happy place and believe. Do it for Ma Tech.