HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The one thing about the Wake Forest situation is Clawson is coaching a generational QB (for Wake). Sam Hartman is an NFL QB. He's going to have to find a replacement for him at a school that is probably maxing out some recruiting classes to be this good. How long can this continue for him at Wake? The past two seasons are as good as Clawson will ever have it at Wake.

If he comes to GT, he has an easier path to the ACCCG given the Coastal is full of mediocre teams and doesn't have Clemson and FSU in it. Recruiting to GT in Atlanta is lot easier than Wake. Sustaining 8-10+ wins at GT is lot easier here than at Wake. GT may be down for now, but our long term ceiling is much higher than Wake's.

I think it's not a clear cut "No" decision for Clawson as we may believe.
I don't disagree and I want our first call to be to Winston-Salem. I think we have a chance, albeit no more then a 40-60 shot.

The guy will take awhile to be successful if he comes; his teams are all built around 5th year players. And he is a bear on player development. Hartman is a good example. He was a 247 three star (I just checked) and a middle of the pack one at that. Another good example would be the Carney brothers. They are sorta like Laskey was for Tech; great high school players that, for one reason or the other were ignored by most P5 schools. But … I'd have taken them in a New York minute, just like Clawson did. They're wrecking balls, both of them.

But he'll probably be too costly for us to lure away.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'll also reiterate that there are two head coaches with winning records, ability to develop programs, and who will take the job for what Tech is willing to pay.

Dan Mullen

Brian Bohannon

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT's ceiling may be higher, but is it higher enough to make a change from what is now a well-built and stable program? I doubt it. Our ceiling may be one more win a year at most.
After you take that time to build a winning program would you leave to try to do it again, or would you continue to work on the program you have already put your time and effort into.

I think we need a Clawson type coach - but not Clawson himself. We have to find our own version of him.

Deion is much lower on my list than some as i'm not sure his success isn't due alot to simply being able to significantly out recruit his conference brethren. That is something that will simply not happen at GT.
GT is likely to always be at a deficit in talent to 3-4 other ACC Schools. Three may be 2-3 that it could out recruit by a significant factor that it matters and then the rest are going to be teams with similar enough talent that it will take development and coaching to win games.

I largely believe trying to win by 'out talenting' our opponents is a poor strategy for GT. GT as an institution does not lend itself to that and never will.

Vanillalite

Georgia Tech Fan
3D1861C1-9AA6-448B-B296-F56430A2B80C.jpeg

14236F9D-6111-4BB2-AE0D-D8E712B2A58C.jpeg

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The Athletic has an article out suggesting the following names:

Deion Sanders
Jeff Monken
Jamey Chadwell
Charles Huff
Sean Lewis
BOB
Todd Monken
Alex Atkins
Dell McGee
Eric Henderson
Bill Clark

Of Those I'd tier them as follows.

S tier -
Jamey Chadwell - Really checks about all the boxes you can ask aside from P5 experience.

A tier -
BOB - Lot of upside with him and I think his time at PSU, given the circumstances, put him ahead of Dion. I wouldn't be super excited, but I think it would be about as good a get as we can realistically hope for from a known commodity type.

Bill Clark - Assuming health is fine I would actually really like this hire. Dealt an absolute terrible hand at UAB and still was widely successful.

B Tier -
Deion Sanders - I'm not as high as some are on him. I think hiring him would be a good risk but I have a hard time buying in to someone with no experience in college beyond the HBCU level. Not that he is bad mind you. Just that he is a risky type hire. A good type of risk though.

C Tier -
Charles Huff - To me this would be very much a "go cheap and hope we are just ahead of the curve" type of hire. I don't think it'd be terrible but I don't see much there that makes me excited.

Todd Monken - Meh. Wouldn't be terrible, but seems just like a worse version of BOB.

F - Tier -
Jeff Monken - This just doesn't make sense for either him or us and it has little to do with his coaching ability. He'd be walking into a divided fanbase on day 1 and a situation that isn't conducive to early wins which will just add fuel to the flame. From our side we'd be firing a coach just to hire one who big money donors likely won't support and a good chunk of the fanbase will have negative impressions of from the get go. Just a bad fit for both parties.

Sean Lewis - I see no real selling point to this hire. He's done well in fairly limited time at Kent State (3 real seasons), but doesn't seem to have much connection to the area and feels more like he's primed for a jump to a bigger mid major before going to P5.

The rest just have me thinking why?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Let's find someone who can recruit the State of Georgia. Someone who has great relationships with the High School coaches in the State of Georgia. Someone who is a serious, professional person with strong integrity. It might even be a current or former top-level High School Coach in the State of Georgia.

JacketFan137

Banned
Let's find someone who can recruit the State of Georgia. Someone who has great relationships with the High School coaches in the State of Georgia. Someone who is a serious, professional person with strong integrity. It might even be a current or former top-level High School Coach in the State of Georgia.
while it is possible to see a high school coach do well, i think that wouldn’t go over well at all with the fanbase

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
The Athletic has an article out suggesting the following names:

Deion Sanders
Jeff Monken
Jamey Chadwell
Charles Huff
Sean Lewis
BOB
Todd Monken
Alex Atkins
Dell McGee
Eric Henderson
Bill Clark

There were actually two Athletic articles on the Tech job today (feels like more articles in one day than we have had in 2 years!), as well as one pay ESPN+ article. All had about 10 candidates. Here is their combined list:

Deion Sanders
Jeff Monken
Jamey Chadwell
Charles Huff
Sean Lewis
BOB
Todd Monken
Alex Atkins
Dell McGee
Eric Henderson
Bill Clark
Dan Mullen
Bronco Mendenhall
Tom Herman
Jeff Lebby
Josh Gattis
Thomas Brown
Troy Calhoun

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
About Jamey Chadwell, can someone who is knowledgeable on X’s and O’s describe his offensive scheme? I feel like it’s a spread option similar to CPJ’s but run out of the pistol and shotgun and with more throwing, would that go over with our fanbase? Would it kill recruiting? Would most of our offensive players transfer if he was the choice?