HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Is this even realistic?

"As much as there is a natural fit for Coach Prime and the city of Atlanta, and an urge to reunite the two, there are significant details that would have to be worked through. Georgia Tech’s power brokers have to decide what its identity as a college football program looks like, because just being located in Atlanta isn’t enough to compete at the highest levels. You need an elite staff, recruiting and personnel department, you need NIL commitment and opportunities, and you of course need an academic support staff for football to make sure that the players have every resource to navigate the course load you demand as a university. Clemson and Miami for example are all in. Is Georgia Tech really ready to try to compete with them? "
With the right leadership and vision, why not?

slugboy

Staff member
underselling him a little bit. he was a solid runner just not quite as good as thomas or physical as nesbitt

people can say stuff like this but there is a minimum athletic threshold needed to be productive at this level. we can pretend it doesn’t exist but at some point you have to have the tools to play with clemson, uga, and even other top end acc teams.
Maybe my memory is shot, but Jaybo Shaw and a lot of the other QBs that made the system look silky-smooth didn't seem like they'd win a track meet. They were definitely faster than me, but they weren't Lamar Jackson

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
This is our chance to go big with football or be irrelevant. If we choose to be irrelevant than we should drop the Division II. I’d be all in on Deion to turn this thing around. We always talk about money, then hire sorry coaches and end up being on the hook for millions when we have to fire them. Let’s do it right this time.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
With the right leadership and vision, why not?
Because Tech doesn't have an elite staff, recruiting and personnel department, competitive NIL opportunities, and above all, a track record of developing players for a possible career in the NFL. Realistically, we are a breakeven athletic department. You're talking another $50M in football spend. I don't see it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Eh, it may not happen, but it's not just message boards dopes like us talking about Coach Prime coming to the Flats
Deion has actually been here to Auburn. Last week. Has Tech even met with him?

This reminds me exactly of John Gruden and Tennessee. Everyone getting worked up over something that isn't going to happen. There is no reason for Deion to come to Tech. Zero.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This is our chance to go big with football or be irrelevant. If we choose to be irrelevant than we should drop the Division II. I’d be all in on Deion to turn this thing around. We always talk about money, then hire sorry coaches and end up being on the hook for millions when we have to fire them. Let’s do it right this time

First, this is not a we get this right or the whole world fails moment. A decent hire that moves the program forward is the low bar we have to clear. A homerun would be nice, but just getting us back to mediocre within two years buys time.

Second, Division II? Not even FCS? This seems pretty hyperbolic...

Third, how many bad hires have we really had in the GT Football and Men's Basketball over the last 30 years? Two in football. BL and CGC with only one bad contract for CGC. We had one bad hire in MBB with CBG and one bad contract with CPH. Hard to call CPH a bad hire since he did take us to the NC game. We have made mistakes as a program, but to insinuate we have made horrendous coaching/contract mistakes continuously is a stretch.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Because Tech doesn't have an elite staff, recruiting and personnel department, competitive NIL opportunities, and above all, a track record of developing players for a possible career in the NFL. Realistically, we are a breakeven athletic department. You're talking another $50M in football spend. I don't see it.
It wouldn't cost that much to get the ball rolling, and after it did much more money could come rolling in. Leadership + smarts + vision = success. Or we can just give up. :(

You only go 'round once, y'know. May as well try. We're not as moribund as some believe.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Your point of view might be right but we aren’t hiring Lincoln Riley or Lane Kiffin (i.e., proven offensive gurus) so what coaches could we hire on the offensive side of the ball who fit your description?

Personally, I don’t think we could afford any of the proven P5 level offensive gurus so our best bet is to focus on recruiting and development.
Agree to disagree. We need yo focus on finding an offensive guru at lower level. U r right that we can’t afford those guys, but there are young innovators out there. We can develop, I agree, & recruiting is important, but we will never upset UGAG b/c of recruiting. Not in today’s NIL world.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is our chance to go big with football or be irrelevant. If we choose to be irrelevant than we should drop the Division II. I’d be all in on Deion to turn this thing around. We always talk about money, then hire sorry coaches and end up being on the hook for millions when we have to fire them. Let’s do it right this time.
You can't GO BIG. Tech does not have the pockets to do that and has taken NO STEPS EVER to build a donor program. Can we drop down? No. We have too much debt and no ability to pay it off.

We are in limbo re football. We need a plan to get to a respectable 7-5 or 8-4 record and keep the ACC money rolling in and invest in other sports. Doable but competing against the top factories? No chance.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It wouldn't cost that much to get the ball rolling, and after it did much more money could come rolling in. Leadership + smarts + vision = success. Or we can just give up. :(

You only go 'round once, y'know. May as well try. We're not as moribund as some believe.
Hilarious. I have heard this for 40+ years. "If only we did this ... the money could come rolling in."

No, it won't. It has never rolled in. We are a small school in a second class conference with limited options. We need to be smart about this simply to stay competing in D1.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Who in the ELF is Paul Finebaum?
A person who only has a following because he has bad opinions. I can't tell if he is the best sports troll of all time, or if he is truly clueless, but anything that comes out of his mouth is almost guaranteed to be worthless and intentionally inflammatory.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Mullen - No - Not awful, but only if we get a no from about 9 other people ahead of him.
You watch. This is a best value for the money game. Moncken would be the best choice, but he won't leave Army. Both of these guys are there for the taking and would do a good job at Tech. We'll burn the phone lines (well … the satellites) up trying to get others then we'll come down to them or maybe them + Chadwell. (I hope, I hope.)

Last edited:

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
Is this even realistic?

"As much as there is a natural fit for Coach Prime and the city of Atlanta, and an urge to reunite the two, there are significant details that would have to be worked through. Georgia Tech’s power brokers have to decide what its identity as a college football program looks like, because just being located in Atlanta isn’t enough to compete at the highest levels. You need an elite staff, recruiting and personnel department, you need NIL commitment and opportunities, and you of course need an academic support staff for football to make sure that the players have every resource to navigate the course load you demand as a university. Clemson and Miami for example are all in. Is Georgia Tech really ready to try to compete with them? "
There is an elite academic support staff for them. it's called the student non-athletes

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
A person who only has a following because he has bad opinions. I can't tell if he is the best sports troll of all time, or if he is truly clueless, but anything that comes out of his mouth is almost guaranteed to be worthless and intentionally inflammatory.
Worthless. Classic example of attacking the messengers. Attack his message.

Does Tech have a small fanbase? Yes! Does Tech have a limited booster base? Yes!

Until we deal with reality, it's wishful thinking.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Worthless. Classic example of attacking the messengers. Attack his message.

Does Tech have a small fanbase? Yes! Does Tech have a limited booster base? Yes!

Until we deal with reality, it's wishful thinking.
Sure, but what I said was also true.