HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
the whole thing was ironic. We're not much different from other fanbases, all of whom have their know-it-all contingent that you described.
Um, I said that all fan bases have the know it all contingent. The difference is that we tend be more independent and egotistical in our opinions because of our academic and career success. Unless you think all fan bases have similar intellectual hubris.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
So here is a question I just thought of... Since pretty much all head coaches have buyouts on their contracts, and we seem pretty cash strapped, does that push us towards hiring an assistant coach as our new HC rather than paying their buyout?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Again, unless the GTAA changes the direction of the football program, Gus is not the guy. In addition to a 5 year 11.5M contract he would have to be bought out of, Gus is just not known as a great recruiter or developer of talent. The football program was viewed largely as going through the motions and his reputation at the pro level is not very good. I don't see it.
That's another thing few are taking into consideration - the buyouts. Makes getting Deion a plus because we'd be getting him with little buyout and potentially a big one if FSU lures him away. FSU pays big buyout bucks - $20million last go-around.

JacketFan137

Banned
So here is a question I just thought of... Since pretty much all head coaches have buyouts on their contracts, and we seem pretty cash strapped, does that push us towards hiring an assistant coach as our new HC rather than paying their buyout?
unfortunately that will probably go into the decision. still too early to tell and no one has any idea what our budget looks like yet

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I know I wouldn't if I were him. And, he's already making $3.6 million/year.

The one thing about the Wake Forest situation is Clawson is coaching a generational QB (for Wake). Sam Hartman is an NFL QB. He's going to have to find a replacement for him at a school that is probably maxing out some recruiting classes to be this good. How long can this continue for him at Wake? The past two seasons are as good as Clawson will ever have it at Wake.

If he comes to GT, he has an easier path to the ACCCG given the Coastal is full of mediocre teams and doesn't have Clemson and FSU in it. Recruiting to GT in Atlanta is lot easier than Wake. Sustaining 8-10+ wins at GT is lot easier here than at Wake. GT may be down for now, but our long term ceiling is much higher than Wake's.

I think it's not a clear cut "No" decision for Clawson as we may believe.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If he comes to GT, he has an easier path to the ACCCG given the Coastal is full of mediocre teams and doesn't have Clemson and FSU in it. Recruiting to GT in Atlanta is lot easier than Wake. Sustaining 8-10+ wins at GT is lot easier here than at Wake. GT may be down for now, but our long term ceiling is much higher than Wake's.

Divisions are going away, though, and GT gets Clemson every year along with his (maybe) former team Wake...

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
The one thing about the Wake Forest situation is Clawson is coaching a generational QB (for Wake). Sam Hartman is an NFL QB. He's going to have to find a replacement for him at a school that is probably maxing out some recruiting classes to be this good. How long can this continue for him at Wake? The past two seasons are as good as Clawson will ever have it at Wake.

Divisions don't exist moving forward. His QB before Hartman was Wolford, who is on an NFL roster (LA Rams) and was pretty good too

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck

There will be no Coastal division next year, the teams with the best 2 records play in the championship game. We have 3 teams we play every year, Clemson, Wake, and Louisville. The other teams are rotated every year. The "pod" system is coming.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
The Athletic has an article out suggesting the following names:

Deion Sanders
Jeff Monken
Jamey Chadwell
Charles Huff
Sean Lewis
BOB
Todd Monken
Alex Atkins
Dell McGee
Eric Henderson
Bill Clark

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The Athletic has an article out suggesting the following names:

Deion Sanders
Jeff Monken
Jamey Chadwell
Charles Huff
Sean Lewis
BOB
Todd Monken
Alex Atkins
Dell McGee
Eric Henderson
Bill Clark
Why doesn't the Athletic print the entire phone book? It would save time. I think it is pointless to even talk names until you have agreement on the approach. Are we changing from NFL-Lite to something else? Once we know that .. then we talk names.

JacketFan137

Banned
Why doesn't the Athletic print the entire phone book? It would save time. I think it is pointless to even talk names until you have agreement on the approach. Are we changing from NFL-Lite to something else? Once we know that .. then we talk names.
that wouldn’t really impact our ability to pivot to any one of the coaches mentioned