HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I'm trying to remember how long it took to process the paperwork for Collins, but it wasn't quick. While it's hard to keep secrets, there's no way for us to tell if we hired someone the day after Batt was hired vs. we haven't had any interviews yet.

Based on the timelines that Neville gave back in October, we've almost certainly had number of interviews, ranked our favorites, and probably made an offer. We could still be interviewing if we didn't like the answers we got, or we could still be negotiating, or we could be done and simply haven't announced it.

However, let's say we announced that we're taking Jimbo Fisher from Texas A&M (I'm very much NOT saying that), what does it accomplish to announce it NOW unless he's going to start here next Monday?
In most situations, the "new coach" would be better off starting their new job shortly after the announcement. Maybe they aren't ready to announce.
They can sign a letter of intent with contract details to be consummated through the lawyers later.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If Chadwell doesn’t work out, Fritz has been impressive at Tulane other than 2021 season. I would be interested in him. Anyone know what happened there in 2021 (other than Chip Long as OC)?
Fritz has his team rolling this year. I don't think his age should rule him out. Easily could coach another 8 years if he wanted. That's an eternity in college football.

georgiatech22

Georgia Tech Fan
Auburn is now talking to Dabo's agent....
The only connection I see is being close to home for him. That being said, there's no way he leaves Clemson now. He's achieved legend status there now and he's only a few wins away from passing Frank Howard to be the winningest coach in Clemson history.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The only connection I see is being close to home for him. That being said, there's no way he leaves Clemson now. He's achieved legend status there now and he's only a few wins away from passing Frank Howard to be the winningest coach in Clemson history.
His path to a national championship game is much easier in the ACC. He would be nuts to leave his current situation.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Auburn is now talking to Dabo's agent....
Auburn's new AD, John Cohen, recently spoke and said the 3 most important things they are looking for are culture fit, X's and O's, and recruiting. Apparently, they are using a search firm to handle logistics, but Cohen said they will use internal resources to determine who they want.

Kiffin is far and way the front runner .... Mississippi law limits his contract to 4 years; he'll have no such restriction at Auburn. Recruiting will be a heck of a lot easier and the stadium holds 30% more people that Vaught. Not to mention Auburn is way in front on NIL.

Auburn is probably looking at everyone, but that's the buzz. I see no reason for Dabo to leave Clemson.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Three successful first year coaches. Notice the trajectory to these schools:

"Kalen DeBoer – Washington: He spent 5 seasons as the coach at the University of Sioux Falls – – an NAIA school. In those 5 seasons he won 3 NAIA National Championships and lost in the Championship Game one other time. After time as an assistant coach in various places, he took over Fresno State in 2020 and was hired by Washington last year after the Huskies went 4-8 in 2021. As of this morning DeBoer’s Huskies have an 8-2 record and last week they upset Oregon which had been ranked #6 in the country at the time.

Sonny Dykes – TCU: He came to TCU from nearby rival SMU, and he has the so far undefeated Horned Frogs ranked in the Top 4 in the CFP rankings as of this morning. Hard to find a lot of fault there…

Jim Mora – UConn: The Huskies had been a doormat. When Mora took the job, it seemed like such a huge step down for him that I wondered if he was serious. A coaching career arc that goes from the Atlanta Falcons to the Seattle Seahawks to UCLA to UConn is more than a bit unusual. He took over a program that went 10-50 in the last 5 years and now has the Huskies bowl-eligible before Thanksgiving."

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Everyone is a risk at this point. BOB is probably the safest bet at this point to bring us out of this 3 win purgatory back to the 7 win purgatory, but even he managed to screw up the Texans somehow. It would be a lot easier to screw up gt than the Texans.

We can afford the risk. We have nothing to lose at this point. Go big or go home imo. Deion's ceiling is national titles. Chadwell's ceiling is probably acc titles. I'd be happy with either one at this point.
Where do you get that deions ceiling is national titles? He is the least proven candidate

Deleted member 6494

I think Deion does make sense for TA&M. They have the NIL machine cranking. They’d fund an all-star coaching and recruiting staff around him. They’d pay for a $2.5MM OC and a $2.5MM DC. Texas loves Deion. I could see a class loaded with 5*’s there.
They already have a class loaded with five stars from last year's recruiting.

slugboy

Staff member
They already have a class loaded with five stars from last year's recruiting.
Some people didn’t get my point

I am fully aware of that. They had last year's #1 class, heavily influenced by NIL. Most places would not make sense for Deion, but TA&M would, because he could make their recruiting ceiling even higher--yes, for a #1 class.

That would be my point.

Last edited:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I am fully aware of that. They had last year's #1 class, heavily influenced by NIL. Most places would not make sense for Deion, but TA&M would, because he could make their recruiting ceiling even higher--yes, for a #1 class.

That would be the point.

I would think diminishing returns would make Sanders not a great fit for anywhere that can already get a #1 class realistically. Sure, he could make them better in that regard, but how much better?

Of course HC isn't the only way to improve but if you have a massive NIL structure that can do that then I would think you'd try to bring in a coach to address the other issues himself.

Deleted member 6494

Three successful first year coaches. Notice the trajectory to these schools:

"Kalen DeBoer – Washington: He spent 5 seasons as the coach at the University of Sioux Falls – – an NAIA school. In those 5 seasons he won 3 NAIA National Championships and lost in the Championship Game one other time. After time as an assistant coach in various places, he took over Fresno State in 2020 and was hired by Washington last year after the Huskies went 4-8 in 2021. As of this morning DeBoer’s Huskies have an 8-2 record and last week they upset Oregon which had been ranked #6 in the country at the time.

Sonny Dykes – TCU: He came to TCU from nearby rival SMU, and he has the so far undefeated Horned Frogs ranked in the Top 4 in the CFP rankings as of this morning. Hard to find a lot of fault there…

Jim Mora – UConn: The Huskies had been a doormat. When Mora took the job, it seemed like such a huge step down for him that I wondered if he was serious. A coaching career arc that goes from the Atlanta Falcons to the Seattle Seahawks to UCLA to UConn is more than a bit unusual. He took over a program that went 10-50 in the last 5 years and now has the Huskies bowl-eligible before Thanksgivi

I don't see how it would benefit Dabbo to leave Clemson unless there are some personal family needs in Alabama; he is definitely on top in salary at Clemson and loved by the fans there. Maybe, it is a wedge to get Saban to step down this year; he might possibly be swayed to return Alabama as head coach. Maybe, a lot of his family still lives in Alabama.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I like it but I wont believe anything until its announced. The search has been too tightlipped for a mutt to "have the inside info".
Bryce definitely doesn’t have any “inside info.” I don’t even think he’s connected to the program in any way other than he does a podcast. He also acted like Dell McGee was a homerun, easy choice hire and he’s not even been mentioned as being a serious candidate. His “inside info” is probably just from reading these boards and looking at what other people claim as their own “inside info.”

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to get an early start.

I want to fire our new head coach after we hire him. That way we can talk about the next pick but let's keep it simple this time and only fire the new head coach and keep this AD a little while longer.