HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don't see how it would benefit Dabbo to leave Clemson unless there are some personal family needs in Alabama; he is definitely on top in salary at Clemson and loved by the fans there. Maybe, it is a wedge to get Saban to step down this year; he might possibly be swayed to return Alabama as head coach. Maybe, a lot of his family still lives in Alabama.
$$$$

JacketFan137

Banned
I'm going to get an early start.

I want to fire our new head coach after we hire him. That way we can talk about the next pick but let's keep it simple this time and only fire the new head coach and keep this AD a little while longer.
i’m posting the “Fire _____” thread within 30 minutes of the hiring announcement. that way i get the most coveted prize in sports fandom, the “i told you so” post

very cool and the mark of a great fan to hate on the coach from day 1

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
He is making 11.5 million a year. What would Auburn have to offer him? 15 million a year? At some point it probably isnt worth it.
Maybe he wants a new challenge? Maybe he hates AU and wants to destroy them from the inside out? Maybe Clemson is tired of him?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Maybe he wants a new challenge? Maybe he hates AU and wants to destroy them from the inside out? Maybe Clemson is tired of him?
Maybe he just wants Clemson to tell him again how much he is loved... and say it with a few more $$$, please.
Not sure how many more he would like, but I am also not familiar with the trials and tribulations of multi millionaires

Techster

Helluva Engineer
New name entering the Auburn picture: Penn State's James Franklin.

Could be a domino effect on GT's search: Bill O'Brien who has history with PSU. Though there's rumor that if Franklin does leave, Matt Rhule would be the #1 candidate at PSU. Rhule has history in the state as Temple's HFC.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Where do you get that deions ceiling is national titles? He is the least proven candidate
If you can get 5*'s (and thus 4*'s) you have a chance to win national titles. If you don't, you have no chance at winning national titles. It's that simple. Of course you gotta have a good scheme, develop players, culture, etc./all that bs, but you don't have to be the best at that if you have top notch players. Deion is pulling in 5*'s in one of the worst areas of the country. I assume wherever he goes at the P5 level, he'll bring in even more 4 and 5*'s.

Last edited:

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If you can get 5*'s (and thus 4*'s) you have a chance to win national titles. If you don't, you have no chance at winning national titles. It's that simple. Of course you gotta have a good scheme, develop players, cultre, etc./all that bs, but you don't have to be the best at that if you have top notch players. Deion is pulling in 5*'s in one of the worst areas of the country. I assume wherever he goes at the P5 level, he'll bring in even more 4 and 5*'s.
Dude, unless I am sadly mistaken, he has recruited a GRAND TOTAL of 1 5* guy there. In fact, he has FAR more transfers that HS recruits (15 vs 8 in 2022 class, 19 vs 13 in the 2021 class). Overall recruiting ranking of #62 in the country in 2021 and #75 in the country in 2022 class. For 2023 he has nothing above a 3* guy thus far and is ranked 105 in the country. He is recruiting better than they used to recruit and better than other HBCU schools, but let's not go overboard about his recruiting please.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Dude, unless I am sadly mistaken, he has recruited a GRAND TOTAL of 1 5* guy there. In fact, he has FAR more transfers that HS recruits (15 vs 8 in 2022 class, 19 vs 13 in the 2021 class). Overall recruiting ranking of #62 in the country in 2021 and #75 in the country in 2022 class. For 2023 he has nothing above a 3* guy thus far and is ranked 105 in the country. He is recruiting better than they used to recruit and better than other HBCU schools, but let's not go overboard about his recruiting please.

Without a LOT of NIL money set up for him (reportedly around $250K) 5 star Travis Hunter doesn't even go there. They were able to organize that NIL money because Sanders wanted to make a splash and get JSU's name all over the media as well as Deion. As someone more plugged in than I am said to me: Deion and his agent are VERY good at working the media.

Listen, Sanders is a GREAT story, and he may prove he'll be a good coach at the P5 level one day. Right now P5 decision makers are not going to take the chance on Deion until he's proven himself on a higher level despite all the hype and media surrounding him. A school like TAMU, with almost unlimited resources, probably has 100+ candidates they would hire before they even got to Deion.

I'll stand by what I've said repeatedly: Deion will not be coaching at the P5 level next season.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
man for someone who hates and puts down anything Tech accomplished over the last 14 years, why even be a fan?
I just report the facts. Sorry the facts don't fit with a lot of the opinions on this board--and most posts are just opinions. I simply report the inconsistencies between fact and opinion. My posts are always backed up with facts. It's amazing how the facts offend people.

I don't believe Paul Johnson's .500 FBS record over the last 9 years of his tenure was acceptable (and only 3 of those 9 were winning records vs FBS). When I see posts holding him out as the standard for a new coach, I object. With facts to support my view.

I want to do better. Does that make me a bad fan?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I don't believe Paul Johnson's .500 FBS record over the last 9 years of his tenure was acceptable (and only 3 of those 9 were winning records vs FBS). When I see posts holding him out as the standard for a new coach, I object. With facts to support my view.

There are facts, and then there are cherry picking stats. Why stop at 9 years? Why not 8. Why not 10? Who picks 9 years and drives a narrative from that.

“Does that make me a bad fan?” No, but I doubt you’re fun a parties.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I just report the facts. Sorry the facts don't fit with a lot of the opinions on this board--and most posts are just opinions. I simply report the inconsistencies between fact and opinion. My posts are always backed up with facts. It's amazing how the facts offend people.

You tell us were you happy when we hired CGC ?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just had barb q in Jackson Miss. Owner operator is big Alcorn booster ( they think there rb and defense will give jackson state a battle - will be massive Tailgate outside the game. ).
He said gt had so much more talent than them in 15 they were glad to score. Said we had no chance to defend the TO.

2 easy lessor teams + crossover atlantic conference team were 3 sure wins due to lack of time to prepare. We counted them and in future will count wins any way we can.

With our self imposed and state imposed limitations as alumni we need to give extra to be even w other teams. How much more dovwe need to give to be better?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
There are facts, and then there are cherry picking stats. Why stop at 9 years? Why not 8. Why not 10? Who picks 9 years and drives a narrative from that.

“Does that make me a bad fan?” No, but I doubt you’re fun a parties.
Because recruiting is a big part of coaching. The team that Johnson inherited from Gailey was probably the most talented team ever to play at GT. Johnson didn't recruit them and went 20-7. He then went .500 FBS for the remainder of his tenure with his recruits. The team Johnson left behind--considering that it was recruited for the run option and lost 8 D starters--was one of the least talented for a "normal" P5 offense ever.

Don't you think that 9 consecutive years is a pretty good statistical view? That's not cherry picking. It's comparing oranges to oranges. 9 years of primarily Johnson recruits.

Once again, I give facts. Did you? No, you just throw out a criticism. Sorry that the facts don't fit your opinion. I can't help that.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
You tell us were you happy when we hired CGC ?
Actually I was. Collins was the main force behind the 2007 recruiting class, and we needed someone who could recruit given what Johnson (didn't) leave behind, and the change in offense. He also went to bowl games his prior 2 years as HC and was nominated for the Broyles award at both MissStateU and UF. The task of trying to rebuild the program turned out to be more than he could handle--although I'm not sure who could have handled it. The experts all said that the transition from the option would be a huge one--and that's ignoring the 8 starters lost on D from a D that wasn't that good. When that assertion turned out to be true, Tech fans acted as if they were shocked and blamed Collins.

It's also true that he wasn't given the budget to hire the assistants he wanted. In that case, he should not have taken the job.

And contrary to wmathis allegation against me, I supported and was positive about Collins until this year. 4 blocked punts in 4 games, and losing recruiting momentum said it was time for a change. Collins was successful until he came to Tech, and he will be again. Somewhat like Johnson, who was successful at a high level until he came to Tech.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Because recruiting is a big part of coaching. The team that Johnson inherited from Gailey was probably the most talented team ever to play at GT. Johnson didn't recruit them and went 20-7. He then went .500 FBS for the remainder of his tenure with his recruits. The team Johnson left behind--considering that it was recruited for the run option and lost 8 D starters--was one of the least talented for a "normal" P5 offense ever.

Don't you think that 9 consecutive years is a pretty good statistical view? That's not cherry picking. It's comparing oranges to oranges. 9 years of primarily Johnson recruits.

Once again, I give facts. Did you? No, you just throw out a criticism. Sorry that the facts don't fit your opinion. I can't help that.

If you're going to use stats, you should take out the outliers on the high and low end and see what you get. CPJ went 11-3 with a team he didn't recruit in 2009. He went 3-9 in an injury plagued 2015. Subtract those two years and you'll probably have a good idea of how good a coach he was or wasn't.

Doubt the results will fit the narrative though...

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

While I agree CPJ left a team that was devoid of talent, I also acknowledge that it is my opinion and not "a fact."