HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

slugboy

Staff member
I think Deion does make sense for TA&M. They have the NIL machine cranking. They’d fund an all-star coaching and recruiting staff around him. They’d pay for a $2.5MM OC and a $2.5MM DC. Texas loves Deion. I could see a class loaded with 5*’s there.

DuckGT

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Deion does make sense for TA&M. They have the NIL machine cranking. They’d fund an all-star coaching and recruiting staff around him. They’d pay for a $2.5MM OC and a $2.5MM DC. Texas loves Deion. I could see a class loaded with 5*’s there.
Like the class Jimbo just signed?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If they can use NIL to sign that class without Deion, what do you think they’d sign WITH him?
Not a good enough class to cover $86M of Jimbo’s buyout, plus Deion’s contract, plus the staff, plus the money needed to buy all of their recruits, plus the money needed to keep their existing players away from the portal. Looking at $125M+ for no guarantee of success. There’s a lot of oil money in Texas, but not that much.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Why is Deion not being considered? With uga doing what they’re doing, the program has literally never been this irrelevant. That would make a huge splash.
Tech can’t afford a risk like Deion. Money wise they can’t afford a boom or bust guy that could fail easily and the program as a whole can’t take a risk of a guy who by far has more talent than his opponents.

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
If Chadwell doesn’t work out, Fritz has been impressive at Tulane other than 2021 season. I would be interested in him. Anyone know what happened there in 2021 (other than Chip Long as OC)?

slugboy

Staff member
“I know for a fact that they’re probably…” is a hell of a way to say “maybe” 🤣
There are a lot of reasons it’s probably not going to happen. But, insane buyout or not, there’s already talk of firing Fisher. Texas A&M already got the “#1” recruiting class last year with NIL, so they’re already bought in to the idea and financially set up to out-talent their opponents.
Deion has some question marks—can he win with a less talented team? Can he run a P5 program? Can he set up the physical training that you see in the upper-end P5 schools?
Texas A&M could answer all those for him.
The easiest way to find a championship coach is to hire one who has won a championship—been there, done that. That’s Dabo, Smart, Saban, Meyer, Orgeron, or Fisher. Fisher isn’t working out so far.
The next easiest way is the way Dabo started—get a good coach and surround them with a murderer’s row of the best coaches. Dabo had possibly the best OC and best DC in the country when he won. Texas A&M could do that with Deion, and I think they would—the coordinators and the position coaches would be getting top dollar.

I think Jimbo Fisher’s buyout might still be around $90 million. It’s crazy to think they would pay it and then fund the rest of what they’d need to do. But I can see them being that crazy.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There are a lot of reasons it’s probably not going to happen. But, insane buyout or not, there’s already talk of firing Fisher. Texas A&M already got the “#1” recruiting class last year with NIL, so they’re already bought in to the idea and financially set up to out-talent their opponents.
Deion has some question marks—can he win with a less talented team? Can he run a P5 program? Can he set up the physical training that you see in the upper-end P5 schools?
Texas A&M could answer all those for him.
The easiest way to find a championship coach is to hire one who has won a championship—been there, done that. That’s Dabo, Smart, Saban, Meyer, Orgeron, or Fisher. Fisher isn’t working out so far.
The next easiest way is the way Dabo started—get a good coach and surround them with a murderer’s row of the best coaches. Dabo had possibly the best OC and best DC in the country when he won. Texas A&M could do that with Deion, and I think they would—the coordinators and the position coaches would be getting top dollar.

I think Jimbo Fisher’s buyout might still be around $90 million. It’s crazy to think they would pay it and then fund the rest of what they’d need to do. But I can see them being that crazy.
Jimbo's big problem, other than his ego, is his offense and the lack of a coordinator. He was a top dog 15 years ago but like many coaches, the game has evolved and they have not.

I think the easier path for the Aggies is to tell him to upgrade his staff and hire an OC and get out of the way. If he DOESN'T do this, yes ... he's gone.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Jimbo's big problem, other than his ego, is his offense and the lack of a coordinator. He was a top dog 15 years ago but like many coaches, the game has evolved and they have not.

I think the easier path for the Aggies is to tell him to upgrade his staff and hire an OC and get out of the way. If he DOESN'T do this, yes ... he's gone.
Threatening to give someone $90 million doesn't sound scary.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Is JBatt close to anyone from his previous stops?
Personally, I think the choice has been made and will be announced the week after the mutts game. Unless said coach is in the playoffs or CG.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It's a cake of their own making. And that's the problem. They thought they were buying a national championship when they hired him and he's turned out to be complete dud.
Oh yeah, I agree. And the Texas A&M fans/boosters with tons of money may transfer some a lot of it to Jimbo as a thank you for him going away and making room for Deion? Who has been a HC for not quite two years?

If Jimbo is fired the A&M boosters will want someone with a ton more to offer than what Deion brings.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech can’t afford a risk like Deion. Money wise they can’t afford a boom or bust guy that could fail easily and the program as a whole can’t take a risk of a guy who by far has more talent than his opponents.
Everyone is a risk at this point. BOB is probably the safest bet at this point to bring us out of this 3 win purgatory back to the 7 win purgatory, but even he managed to screw up the Texans somehow. It would be a lot easier to screw up gt than the Texans.

We can afford the risk. We have nothing to lose at this point. Go big or go home imo. Deion's ceiling is national titles. Chadwell's ceiling is probably acc titles. I'd be happy with either one at this point.

georgiatech22

Georgia Tech Fan
Is JBatt close to anyone from his previous stops?
Personally, I think the choice has been made and will be announced the week after the mutts game. Unless said coach is in the playoffs or CG.
FWIW, Coastal Carolina is playing in the Sun Belt Championship game so if it's Chadwell, we might be waiting an extra week.