HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Deleted member 6494

My guess is the announcement will be either on Monday the 28th (in which case it will be Bill O'Brien) or on Monday the following week (or it is Jamey Chadwell).
My guess is it will be as you said but if it is Chadwell it will be after conference playoffs.

JacketFan137

Banned
i’ve been coming around on o brien. i do find it funny that bama fans complain about bill o brien when they are scoring plenty of points. in their 2 losses they gave up 32 and 52 points.

situationally i do think he has made some flubs with playcalling but he definitely is doing something right. it is not his fault this is probably the worst and most undisciplined defense saban has ever had

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Based on the radio silence, I’ve come to the conclusion that either we haven’t started reaching out to candidates or we’ve only interviewed candidates who are currently coaching at potential playoff contenders. Anyone who is currently coaching at a G5 or FCS program would have no problem leaking our interest to the press. Same for anyone not currently coaching. My guess is that we’ve come to an agreement with Bill O’Brien. He would want to keep things quiet so as not to distract the players at Bama, and he would likely want to stay in good standing with the rest of the staff in case needing connections in the future. It could also potentially be a coordinator at one of the other highly ranked programs, but I think BOB is the most likely due to Batt’s Alabama connection and BOB’s familiarity with Tech and proximity to Atlanta. It wouldn’t be difficult for Batt and O’Brien to meet up somewhere in Alabama or western Georgia to conduct the interview without drawing attention from the media and with minimal disruption to the normal schedule of either person.
One has nothing to do with the other. Everything flows through Jimmy Sexton.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’d prefer Bob Neyland. He’s dead. And Gus isn’t coming to Tech either.
You want the single wing and a chalk board full of "axioms" as Dodd called them as he played for the General. Reading Dodd's autobiography, I got the sense (and that's all it was) that Dodd did not really care that much for Neyland. May be my imagination but some of his stories from his playing days sort of give the impression that he tolerated Neyland and that was about it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You want the single wing and a chalk board full of "axioms" as Dodd called them as he played for the General. Reading Dodd's autobiography, I got the sense (and that's all it was) that Dodd did not really care that much for Neyland. May be my imagination but some of his stories from his playing days sort of give the impression that he tolerated Neyland and that was about it.
Go to the Price library at Tech. Dodd had plenty of maxims himself. You can read them yourself.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Players learn a lot of things about life from their coaches other than X's and O's. Preparation, hard work, teamwork, dedication, etc.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Based on the radio silence, I’ve come to the conclusion that either we haven’t started reaching out to candidates or we’ve only interviewed candidates who are currently coaching at potential playoff contenders. Anyone who is currently coaching at a G5 or FCS program would have no problem leaking our interest to the press. Same for anyone not currently coaching. My guess is that we’ve come to an agreement with Bill O’Brien. He would want to keep things quiet so as not to distract the players at Bama, and he would likely want to stay in good standing with the rest of the staff in case needing connections in the future. It could also potentially be a coordinator at one of the other highly ranked programs, but I think BOB is the most likely due to Batt’s Alabama connection and BOB’s familiarity with Tech and proximity to Atlanta. It wouldn’t be difficult for Batt and O’Brien to meet up somewhere in Alabama or western Georgia to conduct the interview without drawing attention from the media and with minimal disruption to the normal schedule of either person.
More likely on zoom and telephone. People already spotted a private jet flying into Charlotte for one day that is associated with Nebraska. Rhule now is rumored to be their top choice.
It's hard to keep these meetings private even if off-site which is how the big corporations tend to do it.

slugboy

Staff member
I'm trying to remember how long it took to process the paperwork for Collins, but it wasn't quick. While it's hard to keep secrets, there's no way for us to tell if we hired someone the day after Batt was hired vs. we haven't had any interviews yet.

Based on the timelines that Neville gave back in October, we've almost certainly had number of interviews, ranked our favorites, and probably made an offer. We could still be interviewing if we didn't like the answers we got, or we could still be negotiating, or we could be done and simply haven't announced it.

However, let's say we announced that we're taking Jimbo Fisher from Texas A&M (I'm very much NOT saying that), what does it accomplish to announce it NOW unless he's going to start here next Monday?
In most situations, the "new coach" would be better off starting their new job shortly after the announcement. Maybe they aren't ready to announce.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm trying to remember how long it took to process the paperwork for Collins, but it wasn't quick. While it's hard to keep secrets, there's no way for us to tell if we hired someone the day after Batt was hired vs. we haven't had any interviews yet.

Based on the timelines that Neville gave back in October, we've almost certainly had number of interviews, ranked our favorites, and probably made an offer. We could still be interviewing if we didn't like the answers we got, or we could still be negotiating, or we could be done and simply haven't announced it.

However, let's say we announced that we're taking Jimbo Fisher from Texas A&M (I'm very much NOT saying that), what does it accomplish to announce it NOW unless he's going to start here next Monday?
In most situations, the "new coach" would be better off starting their new job shortly after the announcement. Maybe they aren't ready to announce.
There is also the concern over undermining the current staff, interim though they might be.