HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Deleted member 6494

Wrong. I’ve heard Batt just finished a HC candidate list and will be keeping that close to his chest. No decision has been made or even close to being made. Also, BOB or any candidate isn’t interviewing right now during a crucial part of the season.
That may be true, but I can only guess.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
"Tech" or the donors you know aren't a fan of Chadwell's staff? You said the same thing about Chadwell and his staff BEFORE Batt was even hired. I think Batt has his own ideas about the coach he wants to hire. Also, Cabrera is been pretty vocal about hiring people and letting them make their own hiring decisions.

Also, Chadwell won't be bringing his entire staff. It's well known that Willy Korn will be taking over Coastal if Chadwell leaves. That would mean several other guys on staff would get promotions at Coastal and probably would not come to GT. That means Chadwell will have holes to fill, and that's where P5 experienced assistants would come into play.
Tech and the donors. Chadwell brining his whole staff has been a concern at other schools as well. My thought is the same as what you said, that Korn would take over at CCU. Korn is the only guy on Chadwell’s staff that I would have interest in coming to tech.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I can see this being true. Though, I do not have the same negative views of this hire as you do. I agree that Chadwell is a home run hire, but I think BOB has a higher floor and just as high of a ceiling than Chadwell. I think he would assemble a better staff and recruit better than Chadwell, but not be as innovative on offense. Either way, I am good with either selection. But that is just one idiot's opinion.
I am hoping it's BOB. JBatt and BOB's connection at BAMA make me think it might happen.

dumb and dumber GIF

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
I think they have already chosen O'Brien, and he will be available if LSU defeats Alabama on Saturday. Alabama would no longer be in contention for any of the four playoff spots and would be glad to get rid of O'Brien. If O'Brien is chosen, then Brent Key will remain as coach of the offense; he has done a poor job of the offense up to date. He was also playing for Tech when O'Brien was one of O'Leary's coaches.
lol BOB is not going to be the HC. Not sure why his name is even being mentioned

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
If I was ADJB I would be reading this thread every day for the pure comedy gold. Don't get me wrong everyone. I love discussions like these and genuinely enjoy both the insights people have as they review what they like and dislike about certain coaches AND the humor in many other posts (some of which I think are unintentionally funny).

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
If I was ADJB I would be reading this thread every day for the pure comedy gold. Don't get me wrong everyone. I love discussions like these and genuinely enjoy both the insights people have as they review what they like and dislike about certain coaches AND the humor in many other posts (some of which I think are unintentionally funny).
I sincerely hope no one on this thread takes it too seriously. But I enjoy checking it once in a while. I can be hilarious :wacky::ROFLMAO:

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
GOL himself said Tech was going after O'Brien. But that was before Batt was hired. There is really only one person who knows what he's thinking now and that is Batt. As it should be.
Why is the thinking limited to these 3/4 coaches!?!?!not advocating throwing crap at the wall, butane hoping for someone with southern region ties. BOB getting fired from Alabama is not an endorsement to hire.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Tech and the donors. Chadwell brining his whole staff has been a concern at other schools as well. My thought is the same as what you said, that Korn would take over at CCU. Korn is the only guy on Chadwell’s staff that I would have interest in coming to tech.

This is all probably moot anyhow. Chadwell is my #1 choice, but my opinion is that Batt probably wants a more "mainstream" coach that runs a system that doesn't eliminate recruits. For as good of a coach as Chadwell is, there a lot of recruits that probably don't want to play in his system...especially QBs.

We'll see. I do have confidence that GT will get a very good coach even if it isn't Chadwell.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
not sure that this comparison is remotely relevant
Do you think the ACC in football today is more competitive than the ACC in basketball when Cremins arrived? Your logic with this post is similar to your punctuation. Flawed.

Remember, when Bobby came to Atlanta Dean Smith was at UNC, K at Duke, Terry Holland at UVA (who had Ralph Sampson), Jim Valvano at NC State, and Lefty Driesell at Maryland. There is nothing approaching that kind of coaching competition in the ACC for football in 2022. And the ACC was the best conference in basketball.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We will never be able to recruit enough superior athletes, such that our scheme is not a deciding factor. If we hire based on that, we will continue to lose.
If Tech wants to recruit in this area (GA, AL, LA, FL), it has to be present in the area. It hasn’t been relevant as an alternative for decades. Shooting oneself in the foot is not recommended.

The best way to be relevant again is through scheduling. Get Auburn and even Tulane back on the schedule and reopen a lot of historical recruiting areas we have largely pissed away.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Why is the thinking limited to these 3/4 coaches!?!?!not advocating throwing crap at the wall, butane hoping for someone with southern region ties. BOB getting fired from Alabama is not an endorsement to hire.
I’m just sharing what GOL said. “Tech is going after Bill.” Take it for what it’s worth.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If Tech wants to recruit in this area (GA, AL, LA, FL), it has to be present in the area. It hasn’t been relevant as an alternative for decades. Shooting oneself in the foot is not recommended.

The best way to be relevant again is through scheduling. Get Auburn and even Tulane back on the schedule and reopen a lot of historical recruiting areas we have largely pissed away.
It is interesting that we cannot seem to recruit GA when there are only two relevant D1 programs in the state while UNC, Duke, Wake, NC State, ECU, and App all recruit in NC. I do not think anyone believes NC has more quality high school players than GA.

Edit: there is also Georgia Southern.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
This is all probably moot anyhow. Chadwell is my #1 choice, but my opinion is that Batt probably wants a more "mainstream" coach that runs a system that doesn't eliminate recruits. For as good of a coach as Chadwell is, there a lot of recruits that probably don't want to play in his system...especially QBs.

We'll see. I do have confidence that GT will get a very good coach even if it isn't Chadwell.
That’s a good understanding. I agree with you on what Batt wants in a new coach.

JacketFan137

Banned
Do you think the ACC in football today is more competitive than the ACC in basketball when Cremins arrived? Your logic with this post is similar to your punctuation. Flawed.

Remember, when Bobby came to Atlanta Dean Smith was at UNC, K at Duke, Terry Holland at UVA (who had Ralph Sampson), Jim Valvano at NC State, and Lefty Driesell at Maryland. There is nothing approaching that kind of coaching competition in the ACC for football in 2022. And the ACC was the best conference in basketball.
you’re comparing things that have nothing to do with each other. football and basketball are two different sports with different sized staffs with different makeups. bobby cremins is completely irrelevant to this

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I think the decision was made prior to hiring Batt; They are only waiting for the coach to become available. He may be available after this weekend but will not be near my favorite. If it is who I think they have selected, I don't think he will be successful at Tech.
I am really hoping you’re wrong. The one thing I hope above all else in this search is that we’ve laid aside any preconceived notions and really thoroughly evaluated all candidates available to us. Don’t really care as much who that leads us to so long as the process was thorough and open minded.
If we tapped someone behind the scenes before the AD even arrived, well... lather, rinse, repeat.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

I do not disagree with you. All I was saying is that it would be a mistake to make recruiting the one criteria for the football hire.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It is interesting that we cannot seem to recruit GA when there are only two relevant D1 programs in the state while UNC, Duke, Wake, NC State, ECU, and App all recruit in NC. I do not think anyone believes NC has more quality high school players than GA.

Edit: there is also Georgia Southern.
I ask all my players "When making your decision, did you ever seriously consider GT?" No, no and ... no. Why?

The number one answer, by far, is "I want to play against my friends." A lot of these kids (not the superstars who have million dollar careers ahead of them), played football against their buddies in county, region, and state ... LONG ... before getting to college. Ask them about Player X at Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, etc .... and they will recount all the games they played against each other for the last ten years.

There used to a huge Wreck Tech Parade at Auburn for years. Tech was relevant as a recruiter and as an alternative to Auburn for years until ... Tech decided not to schedule them. OK, fine. Please close the door on ALL of West Georgia and East Alabama as a recruiting base. Today? Nobody gives a thought to Tech.

Yes, Tech is in the ACC but playing Syracuse or Boston College means zero to these kids. The easiest way to improve recruiting is to improve scheduling. As long as we have Gardner, Alcorn State and any other filler, it's a missed opportunity. IMO.