HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If we hire Primetime or Chadwell, I'll give up on GT football and start rooting for someone else.

Sheeesh ... almost afraid to ask why you so out on those two. Honestly, no one we could potentially hire is worth that much vitriol.

I'm just out on Chadwell because of the strange fanbase he's apparently garnered here.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Probably two.

Sign Me Up Jennifer Lopez GIF by NBC

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Sheeesh ... almost afraid to ask why you so out on those two. Honestly, no one we could potentially hire is worth that much vitriol.

I'm just out on Chadwell because of the strange fanbase he's apparently garnered here.
Think for yourself man, thats Just a ridiculous reason to be against a coach. There are going to be people who hate the new coach from day 1 no matter who we hire. No true lover of GT would ever take that stance.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Think for yourself man, thats Just a ridiculous reason to be against a coach. There are going to be people who hate the new coach from day 1 no matter who we hire. No true lover of GT would ever take that stance.

Don't read too much into that. I'm just yanking some specific chains.

I dont have strong feelings one way or the other.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Don't read too much into that. I'm just yanking some specific chains.

I dont have strong feelings one way or the other.
Just be careful you don't yank the wrong chain, buster. The World Wide Web ain't big enough for both of us...

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, by that logic, he would hate every potential hire except those that are universally hated. Maybe he wants Collins back.

Deleted member 6494

The reality is a lot of the coaches who have been talked about are good candidates for different reasons, which makes sense because right now we're pretty much in pure speculation territory and people aren't likely to put forth a candidate that doesn't have at least a strength to make the hire look appealing to those who prioritize certain things. There also is not a perfect hire and we aren't likely to go after, or afford, the absolute best hires so those names aren't being put forth. So everyone comes with a downside that will likewise cause some people to not want them.

Obrien, Chadwell, Sanders would all almost certainly be seen as good hires by most of the football world.

Obrien fills in a lot of the boxes for those that like P5 experience, ties to very successful programs, and personal ties to GT. But he lacks the innovativeness some want, and his head coaching experience, at the college level, is limited. Basically he's a typical power team coordinator that has been getting looked at recently by a lot of places. We wouldn't be hiring him for his xs and os, but rather his ability to run a program.

Chadwell is the classical supper successful at a lower level coach and also appeals to those who like innovative offense that doesn't come with the stigma that was true with Johnson's offense. He also has questions regarding whether he could recruit well enough and whether the staff he'd put together would be as good as we need here.

Sanders is unique. There really isn't a good football equivalent to compare him to. He's a legend both in the black community but also in Atlanta which is an intersection that makes him have the highest recruiting potential we could hire, but has little in the way of coaching experience to lean on. I'd say the closest comparison I'd make is Juwan Howard at Michigan. Basketball has had a couple of closer comparisons, Manning at Wake, and Stackhouse at Vandy, but its relatively new territory for football unless I'm missing someone.

Same for the others that have been talked about but those three seem the most three discussed.

None of the three would be a bad hire in the moment. Any of the 3 could end up being a bad hire in retrospect. Personally, I'd rank it O'Brien, Chadwell, Sanders because I think having experience at the P5 level is important, and O'Brien is also the most likely to put together a higher quality staff. To me, with Chadwell I ask the question of other than offense what are you bringing to the table with him, and if it's primarily his system, why wouldn't we go after one of his OC's instead to be our OC instead. Otherwise I think he is more likely to just bring his staff mostly intact which I'm not sold on being great. Sanders is interesting, and I wouldn't hate the hire, but it's such an experiment that I'd rather pass on at the moment.
Personally, I think the decision was made prior to hiring Batt; They are only waiting for the coach to become available. He may be available after this weekend but will not be near my favorite. If it is who I think they have selected, I don't think he will be successful at Tech.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I think the decision was made prior to hiring Batt; They are only waiting for the coach to become available. He may be available after this weekend but will not be near my favorite. If it is who I think they have selected, I don't think he will be successful at Tech.

That would be antithetical to what Cabrera and Neville said when they fired Stansbury and Collins. I highly doubt Batt would have taken the GT job knowing the signature hire for any AD was taken from him. IMO, the GT AD job was probably coveted BECAUSE the HFC position is vacant and the new AD will get make the biggest hire in the athletic program.

Deleted member 6494

The reality is a lot of the coaches who have been talked about are good candidates for different reasons, which makes sense because right now we're pretty much in pure speculation territory and people aren't likely to put forth a candidate that doesn't have at least a strength to make the hire look appealing to those who prioritize certain things. There also is not a perfect hire and we aren't likely to go after, or afford, the absolute best hires so those names aren't being put forth. So everyone comes with a downside that will likewise cause some people to not want them.

Obrien, Chadwell, Sanders would all almost certainly be seen as good hires by most of the football world.

Obrien fills in a lot of the boxes for those that like P5 experience, ties to very successful programs, and personal ties to GT. But he lacks the innovativeness some want, and his head coaching experience, at the college level, is limited. Basically he's a typical power team coordinator that has been getting looked at recently by a lot of places. We wouldn't be hiring him for his xs and os, but rather his ability to run a program.

Chadwell is the classical supper successful at a lower level coach and also appeals to those who like innovative offense that doesn't come with the stigma that was true with Johnson's offense. He also has questions regarding whether he could recruit well enough and whether the staff he'd put together would be as good as we need here.

Sanders is unique. There really isn't a good football equivalent to compare him to. He's a legend both in the black community but also in Atlanta which is an intersection that makes him have the highest recruiting potential we could hire, but has little in the way of coaching experience to lean on. I'd say the closest comparison I'd make is Juwan Howard at Michigan. Basketball has had a couple of closer comparisons, Manning at Wake, and Stackhouse at Vandy, but its relatively new territory for football unless I'm missing someone.

Same for the others that have been talked about but those three seem the most three discussed.

None of the three would be a bad hire in the moment. Any of the 3 could end up being a bad hire in retrospect. Personally, I'd rank it O'Brien, Chadwell, Sanders because I think having experience at the P5 level is important, and O'Brien is also the most likely to put together a higher quality staff. To me, with Chadwell I ask the question of other than offense what are you bringing to the table with him, and if it's primarily his system, why wouldn't we go after one of his OC's instead to be our OC instead. Otherwise I think he is more likely to just bring his staff mostly intact which I'm not sold on being great. Sanders is interesting, and I wouldn't hate the hire, but it's such an experiment that I'd rather pass on at the moment.
Since I have stated Jamey Chadwell is my favorite candidate, I will offer more of my reasons. It is obvious that Chadwell and Freeze are the most prolific winners at present at schools that do not have superior athletes. Both take unproven recruits and win big, so they must be training their athletes to be better players.

It is set in cement that Chadwell would have better athletes at Tech than his present players; he would also attract better recruits at Tech and the ACC than in his present conference. He is winning big with his present athletes and should win as big with better athletes and his apparent ability to coach them up.

Bobby Dodd was an assistant at Tech before he became the head coach. Many of the P5 coaches came from lower classifications because they had analytical minds. Somebody will get Chadwell and win big while we will be struggling with fantasies.

It is also apparent that he is winning with his own developed style of offense which means he is an innovator. He may get to his new school and change his system to his talent, and change again if his talent base increases. Why would anyone try to state a person would use the same system at another school; they don't know the mind of that person.

Did you know that while Bobby Dodd was an assistant coach at Tech ($35,000/year), he was offered the head coach at Florida and turned it down. He was also offered the job at Texas a year later and offered a million dollars and turned it down before being made head coach at GT. Bobby Dodd remained as head coach at Tech for his entire career. I have a gut feeling Chadwell would have the same dedication.

By the way, Dodd told Texas they should interview Darrel Royal for their head coach and the rest is history.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
That would be antithetical to what Cabrera and Neville said when they fired Stansbury and Collins. I highly doubt Batt would have taken the GT job knowing the signature hire for any AD was taken from him. IMO, the GT AD job was probably coveted BECAUSE the HFC position is vacant and the new AD will get make the biggest hire in the athletic program.
I would have to agree the AD will pick his coach.