HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Deleted member 6494

Who do you think it is
I think they have already chosen O'Brien, and he will be available if LSU defeats Alabama on Saturday. Alabama would no longer be in contention for any of the four playoff spots and would be glad to get rid of O'Brien. If O'Brien is chosen, then Brent Key will remain as coach of the offense; he has done a poor job of the offense up to date. He was also playing for Tech when O'Brien was one of O'Leary's coaches.

JacketFan137

Banned
I do not the think head coach decision is going to turn on whether the candidate employs option plays in his offense. Some of you have sold your soul at the crossroad of option football or no option. The argument was silly about 100 pages ago and has not improved.
idk it’s kind of a big deal for the projection of your football team moving forward if you choose to run the option. perception in college football matters regardless of whether it’s true or fair

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I think they have already chosen O'Brien, and he will be available if LSU defeats Alabama on Saturday. Alabama would no longer be in contention for any of the four playoff spots and would be glad to get rid of O'Brien. If O'Brien is chosen, then Brent Key will remain as coach of the offense; he has done a poor job of the offense up to date. He was also playing for Tech when O'Brien was one of O'Leary's coaches.
I can see this being true. Though, I do not have the same negative views of this hire as you do. I agree that Chadwell is a home run hire, but I think BOB has a higher floor and just as high of a ceiling than Chadwell. I think he would assemble a better staff and recruit better than Chadwell, but not be as innovative on offense. Either way, I am good with either selection. But that is just one idiot's opinion.

JacketFan137

Banned
Sheeesh ... almost afraid to ask why you so out on those two. Honestly, no one we could potentially hire is worth that much vitriol.

I'm just out on Chadwell because of the strange fanbase he's apparently garnered here.
i agree chadwell is one of the better candidates we could hire but he isn’t close to the homerun people says he is and his vocal supporters seem to refuse anything but chadwell.

it’s kinda gross we had a game thread for a guy who hasn’t publicly said the word “georgia tech”. the deifying of option coaches is so weird

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I think the decision was made prior to hiring Batt; They are only waiting for the coach to become available. He may be available after this weekend but will not be near my favorite. If it is who I think they have selected, I don't think he will be successful at Tech.
Wrong. I’ve heard Batt just finished a HC candidate list and will be keeping that close to his chest. No decision has been made or even close to being made. Also, BOB or any candidate isn’t interviewing right now during a crucial part of the season.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Chadwell wants to bring his entire staff here, tech isn’t a fan of that. Tech is fine with a few coaches but his entire staff is a no. Tech is wanting to help out a guy that doesn’t have P5 experience by surrounding them with coaches who have the needed P5 experience.

JacketFan137

Banned
Chadwell wants to bring his entire staff here, tech isn’t a fan of that. Tech is fine with a few coaches but his entire staff is a no. Tech is wanting to help out a guy that doesn’t have P5 experience by surrounding them with coaches who have the needed P5 experience.
if he wants to bring his whole staff then everyone should be out on him. i respect him for standing his ground and supporting his guys but that sounds like something another school should take on.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
idk it’s kind of a big deal for the projection of your football team moving forward if you choose to run the option. perception in college football matters regardless of whether it’s true or fair
I am not an advocate for us returning to the CPJ version of the option, but the TO had some built in advantages and it took superior athletes on the defense to stop it. The problem came about when Johnson started having trouble getting even average athletes in sufficient numbers. When I watch Coastal Carolina I see a team that employees some of the same ideas that made Johnson successful. He tries to make defenders decide who they will cover before the QB has to throw or pitch the ball. Deion has superior athletes at Jackson State relative the competition he is facing. His name and fame is the advantage he has.

O'Brien is in a similar situation at Bama that Deion has at JSU. Bama has superior athletes except in rare situations.

The question Batt has to ask and answer is whether GT can recruit enough superior athletes so that the offense we run is not the deciding factor.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
i agree chadwell is one of the better candidates we could hire but he isn’t close to the homerun people says he is and his vocal supporters seem to refuse anything but chadwell.

it’s kinda gross we had a game thread for a guy who hasn’t publicly said the word “georgia tech”. the deifying of option coaches is so weird
Not sure how many are deifying Chadwell or the option. Rather, many are recognizing his skill at innovating and winning, as well as how effective his option offense is. Yes, I think he is a home run hire. Could he fail? Of course, but so could everyone on our potential list. I like his approach on offense and the way he has developed tge players on his team and built his program. I hope he is open to elevating the quality of his assistants on defense and hiring coaches who can recruit and develop at a P5 level.

Last edited:

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
if he wants to bring his whole staff then everyone should be out on him. i respect him for standing his ground and supporting his guys but that sounds like something another school should take on.
I doubt he will find any P5 program who would be willing to accept his whole staff. Also, this version of loyalty stinks of Gailey who held onto bad assistant coaches (Wlison, Nix) for too long. I agree that if he is insistent on bringing the whole staff we move to someone else.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
GOL himself said Tech was going after O'Brien. But that was before Batt was hired. There is really only one person who knows what he's thinking now and that is Batt. As it should be.

Deleted member 6494

I can see this being true. Though, I do not have the same negative views of this hire as you do. I agree that Chadwell is a home run hire, but I think BOB has a higher floor and just as high of a ceiling than Chadwell. I think he would assemble a better staff and recruit better than Chadwell, but not be as innovative on offense. Either way, I am good with either selection. But that is just one idiot's opinion.
I can accept an honest opinion; I don't think you and I are alone on this perspective.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Only 2 of Chadwell’s assistants have P5 experience and even then it’s limited experience. Pretty sure the 2 guys who have the P5 experience, it was being a graduate assistant. You just can’t let a guy bring a coaching staff full of guys who have 0 P5 experience and limited coaching experience. You need veteran coaches and P5 guys around you at all times, especially if this is your first P5 gig.

bikeseat

GT Athlete

Ding ding. This is the problem. His staff is not impressive. At all. I get loyalty, but not at the expense of GT's success

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Only 2 of Chadwell’s assistants have P5 experience and even then it’s limited experience. Pretty sure the 2 guys who have the P5 experience, it was being a graduate assistant. You just can’t let a guy bring a coaching staff full of guys who have 0 P5 experience and limited coaching experience. You need veteran coaches and P5 guys around you at all times, especially if this is your first P5 gig.
How much P5 experience did Bobby Cremins have when we hired him?

Techster

Helluva Engineer

"Tech" or the donors you know aren't a fan of Chadwell's staff? You said the same thing about Chadwell and his staff BEFORE Batt was even hired. I think Batt has his own ideas about the coach he wants to hire. Also, Cabrera is been pretty vocal about hiring people and letting them make their own hiring decisions.

Also, Chadwell won't be bringing his entire staff. It's well known that Willy Korn will be taking over Coastal if Chadwell leaves. That would mean several other guys on staff would get promotions at Coastal and probably would not come to GT. That means Chadwell will have holes to fill, and that's where P5 experienced assistants would come into play.