HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Tech and the donors. Chadwell brining his whole staff has been a concern at other schools as well. My thought is the same as what you said, that Korn would take over at CCU. Korn is the only guy on Chadwell’s staff that I would have interest in coming to tech.
Can't say im a huge fan of hiring a coach and telling him who his assistants will be. I don't know why any coach would even consider that to be honest. If you have that much of a lack of faith in his ability to build a staff then don't hire him. Otherwise, give him the keys and let him make his own decisions.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Here’s another possibility that no one has mentioned: what if Kliff Kingsbury gets fired by the Arizona Cardinals? Would he be someone Tech would be interested in?
No

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffs
Texas Tech Red Raiders (Big 12 Conference) (2013–2018)
2013Texas Tech8–54–56thW Holiday
2014Texas Tech4–82–78th
2015Texas Tech7–64–5T–5thL Texas
2016Texas Tech5–73–6T–6th
2017Texas Tech6–73–68thL Birmingham
2018Texas Tech5–73–6T–7th
Texas Tech:35–4019–35
Total:35–40

JacketFan137

Banned
I ask all my players "When making your decision, did you ever seriously consider GT?" No, no and ... no. Why?

The number one answer, by far, is "I want to play against my friends." A lot of these kids (not the superstars who have million dollar careers ahead of them), played football against their buddies in county, region, and state ... LONG ... before getting to college. Ask them about Player X at Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, etc .... and they will recount all the games they played against each other for the last ten years.

There used to a huge Wreck Tech Parade at Auburn for years. Tech was relevant as a recruiter and as an alternative to Auburn for years until ... Tech decided not to schedule them. OK, fine. Please close the door on ALL of West Georgia and East Alabama as a recruiting base. Today? Nobody gives a thought to Tech.

Yes, Tech is in the ACC but playing Syracuse or Boston College means zero to these kids. The easiest way to improve recruiting is to improve scheduling. As long as we have Gardner, Alcorn State and any other filler, it's a missed opportunity. IMO.
i don’t think tech fans are ready to admit the borderline irreparable damage that has been done to our relations with high schools in the area the last 15 years of tech football.

high school coaches did not like our last two staffs and we’ve just been completely unable to capitalize on the talent in our backyard. we can’t take all the 5* guys that bama, ohio state, uga and clemson snag but it’s embarrassing we are often not even a factor in the top 50 players decisions in our home state.

that is step 1 for the next head coach, whoever it may be

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Can't say im a huge fan of hiring a coach and telling him who his assistants will be. I don't know why any coach would even consider that to be honest. If you have that much of a lack of faith in his ability to build a staff then don't hire him. Otherwise, give him the keys and let him make his own decisions.
not sure anyone is telling him who to hire but would like to know who he would.

JacketFan137

Banned
No

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffs
Texas Tech Red Raiders (Big 12 Conference) (2013–2018)
2013Texas Tech8–54–56thW Holiday
2014Texas Tech4–82–78th
2015Texas Tech7–64–5T–5thL Texas
2016Texas Tech5–73–6T–6th
2017Texas Tech6–73–68thL Birmingham
2018Texas Tech5–73–6T–7th
Texas Tech:35–4019–35
Total:35–40
if people hated our 2021 defense with collins i think they’d really have a good time watching us give up 65 points a game with kliff

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
not sure anyone is telling him who to hire but would like to know who he would.
When you say:
Tech is wanting to help out a guy that doesn’t have P5 experience by surrounding them with coaches who have the needed P5 experience.
You are basically saying that if we hire a G5 coach then we will choose who his assistants are. Why would a new coach need "help"?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
i don’t think tech fans are ready to admit the borderline irreparable damage that has been done to our relations with high schools in the area the last 15 years of tech football.

high school coaches did not like our last two staffs and we’ve just been completely unable to capitalize on the talent in our backyard. we can’t take all the 5* guys that bama, ohio state, uga and clemson snag but it’s embarrassing we are often not even a factor in the top 50 players decisions in our home state.

that is step 1 for the next head coach, whoever it may be

I've written this in various recruiting threads over the last few years. GT has done MUCH better recruiting GA top 50 players under CGC than we have previously. So give CGC that.

JacketFan137

Banned
I've written this in various recruiting threads over the last few years. GT has done MUCH better recruiting GA top 50 players under CGC than we have previously. So give CGC that.
still need a little more. gotta start keeping some of these boys at home. we didn’t recruit our own backyard for 11 years and now high schools don’t care about us anymore

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I'm a corporate guy (sad, I know) and I recall when Coca-Cola turned the largest Pepsi distributor who for 50 years, was very, very loyal. It was because there was a long-term strategy to do so. Decades.

I am NOT a fan of hiring a coach, who might last 5 years, and giving him the keys to the future. The AD, along with the Board, need to have a long-term strategy for how best to compete.

The GTAA, sadly, has only had a strategic plan in the last few years. We have gone DECADES of just winging it. That's the main reason we are screwed.

Deleted member 6494

I can see this being true. Though, I do not have the same negative views of this hire as you do. I agree that Chadwell is a home run hire, but I think BOB has a higher floor and just as high of a ceiling than Chadwell. I think he would assemble a better staff and recruit better than Chadwell, but not be as innovative on offense. Either way, I am good with either selection. But that is just one idiot's opinion.
I would not be happy with one of those choices but would be with the other. This is nothing more than another idiot's opinion.

Deleted member 6494

I can see this being true. Though, I do not have the same negative views of this hire as you do. I agree that Chadwell is a home run hire, but I think BOB has a higher floor and just as high of a ceiling than Chadwell. I think he would assemble a better staff and recruit better than Chadwell, but not be as innovative on offense. Either way, I am good with either selection. But that is just one idiot's opinion.
I did not see my reply, so I will repost the reply. I would not be happy with one of the choices but would be happy with the other. This is also just another idiot's opinion.

Deleted member 6494

I am really hoping you’re wrong. The one thing I hope above all else in this search is that we’ve laid aside any preconceived notions and really thoroughly evaluated all candidates available to us. Don’t really care as much who that leads us to so long as the process was thorough and open minded.
If we tapped someone behind the scenes before the AD even arrived, well... lather, rinse, repeat.
My perception is that Batt was hired more for his ability to enhance the funds than selecting a coach. I still think the coach was already chosen prior to his coming. However, he may have the option of overriding the choice if he strongly disagrees.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
i agree chadwell is one of the better candidates we could hire but he isn’t close to the homerun people says he is and his vocal supporters seem to refuse anything but chadwell.

it’s kinda gross we had a game thread for a guy who hasn’t publicly said the word “georgia tech”. the deifying of option coaches is so weird
He may be a homerun, nobody knows. This whole coaching thing is such a crapshoot there are definitely no certainties, hell Saban himself might fail at GT. And i thatI think you’ll find that 99% of the fans will support whoever gets hired no matter if Chadwell is the preference or not

Deleted member 6494

Tech and the donors. Chadwell brining his whole staff has been a concern at other schools as well. My thought is the same as what you said, that Korn would take over at CCU. Korn is the only guy on Chadwell’s staff that I would have interest in coming to tech.
Do we know that Chadwell has stated that he would not accept the offer unless he could bring his whole staff. He just might want some backing from the new school to get rid of the defensive coach; sometimes it is hard to dismiss someone who is a personal friend.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

AD's routinely help with putting staffs together, especially for coaches who may not have as many connections. I think it's pretty clear to see that with MBob and Pastner's original staff and I'd be very surprised if Stansbury didn't play a part in putting together some of Collin's first staff (although some were obviously brought on).

And it probably wouldn't be telling him who the assistant would be but rather talking about the plan for staff building during the interview process. If the conversation went "I'm going to bring everyone from coastal" and the AD brought up concerns that were just brushed away then I'm fairly confident Chadwell wouldn't get the job. But more likely it would be discussed that certain coaches would be brought, or offered a spot, and then other spots would be used to hire coaches who fit criteria that was worked out between the AD and coach.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
i agree chadwell is one of the better candidates we could hire but he isn’t close to the homerun people says he is and his vocal supporters seem to refuse anything but chadwell.

it’s kinda gross we had a game thread for a guy who hasn’t publicly said the word “georgia tech”. the deifying of option coaches is so weird

Agree. The diefication is where I'm confused.

But I don't think it's an option coach thing necessarily. I think folks are just in love with the dude.

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
Do we know that Chadwell has stated that he would not accept the offer unless he could bring his whole staff. He just might want some backing from the new school to get rid of the defensive coach; sometimes it is hard to dismiss someone who is a personal friend.
Do we KNOW that this was stated somewhere? I have seen it written and quoted, but have never seen, heard or read the actual quote. I would be interested to view it in context. Thanks in advance if this can be provided.