HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

slugboy

Staff member
Just read that J Batt is interested in bronco mendenhall.

WWHHHYYYYYYYY OH MY GODDDDDDD CAN WE DO NOTHING RIGHT
If you’re reading Suguira, then he wrote
  1. GT fired a coach in mid season
  2. Ga Southern did that recently and hired a coach who was not working at the time
  3. Here is a list of coaches who aren’t working now
I wouldn’t read too much into the article

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
If you’re reading Suguira, then he wrote
  1. GT fired a coach in mid season
  2. Ga Southern did that recently and hired a coach who was not working at the time
  3. Here is a list of coaches who aren’t working now
I wouldn’t read too much into the article
The same article mentions Bill Clark and states that he has interest in the job. So while it might be Bronco, I doubt he's the leader in the clubhouse.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Haven’t heard Bronco from my guy. From reading the article, Ken was just throwing out guys who aren’t employed currently, it fits the theme of his article with mentioning the GSU Athletic director and then hiring an unemployed coach. Bronco doesn’t fit what tech wants to do

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Only 2 of Chadwell’s assistants have P5 experience and even then it’s limited experience. Pretty sure the 2 guys who have the P5 experience, it was being a graduate assistant. You just can’t let a guy bring a coaching staff full of guys who have 0 P5 experience and limited coaching experience. You need veteran coaches and P5 guys around you at all times, especially if this is your first P5 gig.
I feel like this concern stems directly from Collins’s failure, and it’s likely unfair when considering Chadwell.

I think it’s fair to make him leave his defensive staff, since it’s not why we are considering him anyways. But coaches also need to be free to bring their assistants or it’s unfair to hold them to some level of expectations.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Haven’t heard Bronco from my guy. From reading the article, Ken was just throwing out guys who aren’t employed currently, it fits the theme of his article with mentioning the GSU Athletic director and then hiring an unemployed coach. Bronco doesn’t fit what tech wants to do
Can you share what names you’re hearing?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I feel like this concern stems directly from Collins’s failure, and it’s likely unfair when considering Chadwell.

I think it’s fair to make him leave his defensive staff, since it’s not why we are considering him anyways. But coaches also need to be free to bring their assistants or it’s unfair to hold them to some level of expectations.

I would think Chadwell and GT fans would want to keep as many of his offensive staff as possible. After all, the offense is why everyone wants Chadwell. It's also less of a transition if you have guys that understand the system coaching new players.

Look how many of CPJs offensive staff went on to head up their own programs.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Chadwell should have the right to bring whoever he wants from his staff. You can’t have a micromanaging AD or it’s not going to work well. With that said, Batt will need to take it into consideration when deciding whether to hire Chadwell if he plans to bring his whole staff. If Batt doesn’t agree with the decision then he should just not hire him.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I sincerely hope no one on this thread takes it too seriously. But I enjoy checking it once in a while. I can be hilarious :wacky::ROFLMAO:
I honestly love threads like this both for the serious posts that have a ton of great analysis and information (even if I disagree with some of the analysis I still think it's really interesting and appreciate people who spend time thinking about it and posting their thoughts) and for the not-so-serious posts that lighten up the mood at times. This is what the sports message boards are for. And how fun is it to try and see how many pages we can get this thread to be before a new HC is named... :smuggrin:

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The same article mentions Bill Clark and states that he has interest in the job. So while it might be Bronco, I doubt he's the leader in the clubhouse.
If Bill Clark wants the job, he should be a finalist at least. We’d need to get him a good OC, but I can’t think of a better fit for our situation than a coach who resurrected an FBS football program and never had a losing record as a head coach.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I heard Bud Kilmer is available.
1667610946503.gif

Deleted member 6494

Do we KNOW that this was stated somewhere? I have seen it written and quoted, but have never seen, heard or read the actual quote. I would be interested to view it in context. Thanks in advance if this can be provided.
I may have written my reply to vaguely. I was trying to ask if anyone has heard that Chadwell would not come unless he could bring his entire staff. I doubt Chadwell has made that kind of statement.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I may have written my reply to vaguely. I was trying to ask if anyone has heard that Chadwell would not come unless he could bring his entire staff. I doubt Chadwell has made that kind of statement.

In all likelyhood someoone woudl remain at coastal if Chadwell got the Tech job to head coach there for continuity providing a soft point for people he wasn't brign to just keep on truckign with promotions. Just like johnson did when he came from navy and Ken got the gig.

Deleted member 6494

Since many seem to like O'Brien as new Head Coach, I will state some facts and rumors regarding his connections with GT. He was an offensive graduate assistant coach at Tech in 1995-1997; the Tech records for those three years were 6-5, 5-6, and 7-5. He was the Running Back Coach under Ralph Friegden for years 1998-2000; The record for Tech under Friegden for those years were 10-2, 8-4, and 9-3.

He was the Offensive Coordinator and QB Coach for years 2001-2002; the Tech record for those two years were 8-5 and 7-6. He was also the assistant HC for 2002. He was the Running Back Coach at Maryland for 2003-2004; The record at Maryland were 10-3 and 5-6 under OC Ralph Friegden. He was the Offensive Coordinator for Duke in 2005-2006; Dukes record for those two years were 5-6 and 9-4.

He is presently the OC at Alabama and knows Batt very well. He was also a coach at GT when Brent Key played for Tech. There was a rumor that the prominent candidate has ties to GT. There is also the rumor that O'Leary has made comments of O'Brien's popularity as the new Tech Head Coach.

It is very likely O'Brien knows most of the officers and money backers from his stints at GT. Now, I still think he will be named the new Head Coach even though I dislike the choice. Saban probably does not want a change at present since he has an outside chance of being in the playoffs. However, if he loses to LSU Saturday, Alabama is definitely out of that picture; there are also rumors that Alabama fans are not happy with O'Briens performance. We may know on Monday the new Head Coach.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
In all likelyhood someoone woudl remain at coastal if Chadwell got the Tech job to head coach there for continuity providing a soft point for people he wasn't brign to just keep on truckign with promotions. Just like johnson did when he came from navy and Ken got the gig.
If Chadwell is our next HC i hope like hell that he brings his Offensive staff, and that we give him the option $$$ of upgrading his defensive staff.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If Chadwell is our next HC i hope like hell that he brings his Offensive staff, and that we give him the option $$$ of upgrading his defensive staff.
Not necessarily directed at you but how does a HC at a lower level know his assistants won't be successful at the next level? After all, to this point he has trusted these guys to get him to a spot where he is a candidate for the next level. I think the thinking amongst the coaching fraternity is that coaching skills are transferrable (and linear) as you move up. After all, at CC or or Valdosta State or Fort Valley State or Valdosta High School you are competing against peers with similar resources, And you have done fine. So when you climb a rung on the career ladder, the assumption must be that you will be fine there too competing against better athletes and coaches but you too will have similar resources. How does a HC decide that ol' Charlie, his OL coach at Podunk State U is good at this level but now I have a better gig at Southern Idaho A & M that ol' Charlie won't be able to cut the mustard competing in the Lewis & Clark Trail Conference ?