HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee was borderline top 10 recruiting and loaded with talent. Their issue has always been coaching. Other than stealing the QB from VT, I'm not sure the "portal" is the answer for quick turnarounds. It should be used to either add depth or, if lucky, add that one missing piece, similar to what UT did with Hooker. When you start to depend on the portal, you start to neglect recruiting HS talent, and I think that was the biggest mistake CGC made in his tenure here.
Another big problem with depending on the portal is that you are mostly picking from a pool of likely over-rated players who couldn’t earn playing time at their current school. FB factory NIL money is grabbing up the starting quality players who are interested in transfering.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think the one thing that might prevent it from being like the pros is that the NFL does a good job keeping the playing feild level from a $$$ perspective. So teams in Buffalo and Kansas City have equal footing with the ones in NY and LA. This is NOT happening at the college level.
I am not a pro sports guy but the NFL by far has the most compelling model. I think parity creates more interest.
The nfl drafts in reverse order of previous season results. Players have written contracts.

College ( ncaa) could cut a few scholarships for teams that make playoffs
[/QUOTE]

I think the big problem with the NFL model is that the NFL is popular across the country. College football (viewership) is very regional. When I lived out West, nobody really cared about watching CFB on a Saturday. That's definitely not true in the South or Midwest.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think the one thing that might prevent it from being like the pros is that the NFL does a good job keeping the playing feild level from a $$$ perspective. So teams in Buffalo and Kansas City have equal footing with the ones in NY and LA. This is NOT happening at the college level.
I am not a pro sports guy but the NFL by far has the most compelling model. I think parity creates more interest.
The nfl drafts in reverse order of previous season results. Players have written contracts.

College ( ncaa) could cut a few scholarships for teams that make playoffs

I think the big problem with the NFL model is that the NFL is popular across the country. College football (viewership) is very regional. When I lived out West, nobody really cared about watching CFB on a Saturday. That's definitely not true in the South or Midwest.

In essence, with the NIL, every college football player starts as a free agent straight out of the gate. There will never be any form of draft for HS players as they enter college. There will be no "salary caps" to ensure parity. Pandora's Box has been opened, and we will forever live with the consequences.

Caveat: The only possible alternative is if the government steps in again, which I also find highly doubtful.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

interesting thread about Lane Kiffin’s opinion on Deion being a perfect fit for Auburn. Which could actually work, AU has the money to buy fired ex-NFL and cfb head coaches as coordinators/support staff AND the money to finance the NIL needed to recruit a team full of 4-5 stars to get them on the level with Bama and uga

JacketFan137

Banned

interesting thread about Lane Kiffin’s opinion on Deion being a perfect fit for Auburn. Which could actually work, AU has the money to buy fired ex-NFL and cfb head coaches as coordinators/support staff AND the money to finance the NIL needed to recruit a team full of 4-5 stars to get them on the level with Bama and uga

gonna be hilarious when he gets hired after people on here are CONVINCED he’s not a p5 coach and he can’t be successful

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Wouldn’t be shocked to see Urban at Auburn. He bought a house in Auburn in the past couple years and his son in law (Correy Dennis) has family there. He has ties to auburn so it should be interesting.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

Like I said when his comments were swirling about our game with Ole Miss...

Lane Kiffin - Professional Troll

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
In essence, with the NIL, every college football player starts as a free agent straight out of the gate. There will never be any form of draft for HS players as they enter college. There will be no "salary caps" to ensure parity. Pandora's Box has been opened, and we will forever live with the consequences.

Caveat: The only possible alternative is if the government steps in again, which I also find highly doubtful.
Well, the one thing we can depend on the government for is to maximize their revenue. Is there a scenario where the Feds try to get a bigger piece of the CFB $-pie that might change the structure? Or maybe liability and/or equity lawsuits?

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
gonna be hilarious when he gets hired after people on here are CONVINCED he’s not a p5 coach and he can’t be successful
Dude, are you his agent or something? We can't have a conversation about potential coaches without you throwing shade at people who don't also worship Mr. Sanders and believe that he is the one-and-only-obvious-choice. Do you really think that any concerns about him are unjustified and not worthy of discussion?