HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Not doubting you but Im still struggling to understand why Deion isnt at least being considered. It seems like we should at least interview him unless he is the one saying that he has no interest.

Also, did she mention anyone that is being considered?
Because Parker may have been given a Must and Wants list and Deion may not meet the must list. Speaking of must/want criteria, Parker likely would not have my must list because they are a mutt infested firm. Of course, I shouldn't be so conspiracy minded.

Last edited:

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Because Parker may have been given a Must and Wants list and Deion may not meet the must list. Speaking of must/want criteria, Parker likely would not have my must list because they are a mutt infested firm. Of course, I shouldn't be so conspiracy minded.

They are some of the best in their field. Trust me.

And remember, Vince Dooley played at Auburn and Pat Dye played at Georgia and both were legends at their respective schools they coached at and remained that way long after they retired. Hire the best person for the job and let them do it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not doubting you but Im still struggling to understand why Deion isnt at least being considered. It seems like we should at least interview him unless he is the one saying that he has no interest.

Vast majority of the Deion hype is coming from the media and his agent. There is close to zero support for Deion from the anyone making decisions at the P5 level. Are there some boosters at P5 schools that have bought into the hype? Yes, but it's not them making the ultimate decision.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I can remember a number of coaches who were interested coaching at Tech and Tech said, "Not a good culture fit" ... Deion would be a positive for many programs where there is a good fit. I'm not sure that's Tech.

In fact, word is Auburn already has its coach identified and because he is currently coaching, they will announce the day after the Alabama game. The money is on Lane Kiffin.
If Kiffin goes to Auburn he will never be HC at Bama and a lot of people think that is ultimately his destination job. Not sure following a legend is the best decision but would be worth a lot of $.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Remove the name Deion Sanders from the equation. How strong is the resume?

He spent a good chunk of years at the HS level in academy type places.

At the college level he has not quite 3 years of total experience, that being as HC in the SWAC conference which is the FCS level. He's had success those three years but no experience of any kind at the FBS level.

None of that means he couldn't work great here, but any kind of objective base search is almost certainly not going to include him. Hiring him would largely be about how much the AD buys the narrative of Sanders using his fame and connections to bring benefits that aren't concrete. Keep in mind, just because the search firm doesn't push for Deion doesn't mean the AD hasn't considered it or reached out. It would be possible for the AD to ask the search firm to do their thing, but to also have his own list as well. The search firm is a tool, but not the actual decision maker.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not doubting you but Im still struggling to understand why Deion isnt at least being considered considering us. It seems like we should at least interview him unless he is the one saying that he has no interest.

FIFY

The only use Deion has for GT right now is the press release he got in being tied to P5 schools. My gut says he will be at JSU next year and he's leveraging these press clippings to up recruiting at JSU.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Question? Does the Portal change CFB coaching contracts going fwd? What I've always understood was the reason they gave and extended 5 year contracts was because of recruiting. Kids did not want to commit to a school/coach if he was not going to be there the recruits entire 4 years, but now the recruit can transfer immediately if it does not work out for him/her.
Why the need for a long contract and thus a monstrous buy out usually?
Yes I could see if you had a very successful coach you might want to do something longer etc.
Would this maybe put more competition in the coaching field, schools more willing to try someone that they might not otherwise try? I could see this not only being the case for HC but coordinators and maybe even assistants.
I just throw it out there, would love your input.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Question? Does the Portal change CFB coaching contracts going fwd? What I've always understood was the reason they gave and extended 5 year contracts was because of recruiting. Kids did not want to commit to a school/coach if he was not going to be there the recruits entire 4 years, but now the recruit can transfer immediately if it does not work out for him/her.
Yes I could see if you had a very successful coach you might want to do something longer etc.
Would this maybe put more competition in the coaching field, schools more willing to try someone that they might not otherwise try? I could see this not only being the case for HC but coordinators and maybe even assistants.

The biggest factor in terms of contracts is what the coaches want vs what the schools are willing to pay.

The "need" for the longer contracts and buyout is because that is what is needed to get the coaches to sign.

Anyways, as far as recruiting goes, it doesn't really change anything. Kids don't usually sign with a school, at least at this level, with the idea that they will transfer in a year or two. So if you have a HC with only one year remaining, it will still be used against him in recruiting. Yes, the player could transfer if he is fired. But why go there and then have to transfer if you can go to a place where the coach you are committing to will more likely stay around?

Whether that is true or not is not really important. What is important is you don't want the administration to get a reputation for hamstringing coaches like that. Because then it's harder to lure the next coach there.

But in general, coaching contracts will continue to be based around what it takes to lure coaches to the job more than anything else.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
FIFY

The only use Deion has for GT right now is the press release he got in being tied to P5 schools. My gut says he will be at JSU next year and he's leveraging these press clippings to up recruiting at JSU.
I would think he would want to get the P5 opportunity ASAP to progress his coaching career and also bring his son with him to get more recognition. It will be hard for his son to make the NFL at JSU, so I would think Deion would look to jump to P5 this year for that reason alone.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
If coach contract structure shifts in favor of the athletic programs it’ll take a while, GT‘s search this year is too early in the portal era for there to be a big difference.

It wouldn’t change overnight, it would take years of coaches negotiating differently (eg like a Chadwell type trying to talk a school into prioritizing a relatively cheaper experiment on him over more expensive proven P5 options).

Very little incentive for any coach to try to do that yet, until there are is a track record of “defectors” in the prisoner dilemma senses

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Interesting question.
From a coaching perspective and an initial contract perspective, I think a lot of coaches would take the position that they don't want to be judged on what they do with someone else's guys. Basically saying, four years is the minimum to get a group of guys that I have recruited and developed; judge me at that point. I dont think that changes much.

I agree, everyone talks about having four years so a recruit sees stability over the course of his career... that seems to be more of an extension thing. Initial contracts grew to 5 and 6 years because of that "4-year remaining" notion coupled with the fact that renegotiating a contract after one season is kind of silly - just call it 5, you're logically there already anyway.

All of that said, where the portal might have an effect is in those extensions discussions. I think you'll still see the 4-5 year initial contracts, but I think its going to be a little less critical to extend a guy just for recruiting appearances. Guys who aren't worthy of extension but aren't quite at the firing point might find themselves with 2 or 3 years remaining a little more frequently.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
Chan Gailey put guys in the NFL, how'd that work out for us? 6-7 wins every year, 1 ACC championship appearance where we looked completely incompetent, and never beat UGA.

Geoff Collins was a big recruiter and took credit for a bunch of guys in the NFL, how'd that work out for us? 3 win seasons and a total **** show.

Paul Johnson was not known for putting guys in the NFL or being a recruiter, how'd that work out for us? 3 ACC championship appearances with 1 ACC championship win, 2 orange bowl appearances with 1 orange bowl win, and 3 wins over UGA in Athens. Oh and he still put guys in the NFL, despite not being known for it or running an "NFL-friendly" offense.
Maybe we should make CPJ an offer......... who is your pick ?
Putting players in the NFL is a matter of numbers. We currently have 9. Bammer and the DWAGS are in the 50's. The Badgers total is in the 30s.
How many did CPJ have ? I counted 31 drafted during his 11 years.
Collins recruited big in year 1, most of them left , then meh after that.

Last edited:

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I still think people underestimate how good of a coach O'Brien is. He was a HFC in college for 2 seasons under the worst circumstance, and coached in the B1G. By any measure he did a great job there. Imagine if O'Brien had a full deck of cards to play with while at Penn State. Then he went to the NFL and had a far better career there than guys like Nick Saban, Urban Meyer, Steve Spurrer, Matt Rhule...coaches other schools would break the bank for. As an OC for Saban, his offenses have been just as good as his predecessors.

GT needs a coach that can recruit, develop players, and has a proven scheme.

1. Recruiting: Imagine having to recruit to a school that was basically given the death penalty. That's what O'Brien had to do at Penn State. All he did was talk a 5 star QB into signing with him.
2. Developing Players: He developed a walk on QB into an NFL player, and one of the best QBs in the B1G.
3. Proven Scheme: Look at what he did at Penn State. He also coached Deshaun Watson at Houston. Look at his offense at 'Bama and the concepts they use. He's like Kiffin in that he's not married to a system but molds the system to the players he has. He's coached dual threat QBs and classic drop back passers...he's had success with all of them.

IMO, being an OC for Bama and spending most of his head coaching years in the NFL has masked just how good of a HFC O'Brien actually is. O'Brien, IMO, is George O'Leary with a higher upside.

Watch whoever gets O'Brien. Strong rumor is this is O'Brien last season coaching for Saban. There's a school that's going to get a VERY good coach. He's not a sexy pick like Kiffin or Chadwell, but he's just a very good coach like Leipold or Fritz would be.
Completely agree !(y)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I would think he would want to get the P5 opportunity ASAP to progress his coaching career and also bring his son with him to get more recognition. It will be hard for his son to make the NFL at JSU, so I would think Deion would look to jump to P5 this year for that reason alone.

If Shedeur Sanders is good enough, the NFL will find him...and it isn't like he's not getting any coverage playing for Deion and JSU. Gameday was just at JSU. They're getting PLENTY of it.

Steve McNair played at Alcorn State, another HBCU. He was the 3rd overall NFL draft pick his year.

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
I dont want a guy "for what he did". I want one "for what he is doing!". BOB is out. Mullen is out. Coach O is out. Chadwell is a favorite of mine, but I worry if he will bring his full staff or find assistants with positive P5 coaching and recruiting experience.
A head coach just closes the deal with recruits. Kirby aint breaking down film and finding a guy in the boonies of south Georgia. He's there to make a splash at a game his senior year and talk to mama and grandmama.
All that being said, im happy with how tight lipped the search is. ADJB is very impressive so far. Go Tech!

I want a guy/gal for BOTH. past success and currently holding their own. Most important to me, if we get a former HC, is did they improve a program? If so, good upside for us. If they just played caretaker to a program that was already improved or the program slipped each year...PASS.

If we get an OC/DC/other that has no HC experience, I want the OC to have dramatically improved the offense or the DC for the defense for said program over multiple years. Again, no OC/DC that came in to an already top offense/defense and simply held firm or saw a modest decline.

Most of the retread HC's being discussed all failed at some points and didn't have any great turn around stories. Florida got worse under Mullen, Miss State better and then worse, but they have a history of being good a few years and then bad again well before Mullen got there.

BOB, not real enthused about him. If he got hired, I'd admit he's better than CGC, and he has some potential to be a good HC. However, the way he completely mismanaged the Texans leaves serious doubts about his admin/leadership abilities that a good HC must have. He did win early with Texans, but they had a VERY GOOD defense left over from Wade Phillips days and good OL/RB play. He also had Deshaun Watson. He had tons of talent that he quickly mis-managed away. Deshaun issue blew up only at the very end of O'Briens tenure.

I'd rather hire an up-n-coming younger coach with upside or Deion just for the huge boost in attention he'd bring to GT which would improve recruiting drastically, get NIL deals that actually catch recruits eyes (not quite Bama/UGA/Texas level, but not a joke compared to them either). I get Deion is a huge ??? as far as playing teams with comparable talent, but I do think we'd finally have comparable talent and that's half the battle. The other half is good OC and/or DC to keep us playing efficiently. I am sure Deion could attract a good OC/DC, just not sure if he'd hire the right ones for him, but hey all HCs run this risk. The OC/DC we have now are awful. They make Friedgen and Tenuta look like HOF'ers.

My true wish is to aim for national titles. I don't want to "settle" for 6 or 7 wins and lower tiered bowls that no one knows where it is. PASS. I feel too many fans are making excuses that we can't really compete for conference and national titles and that we should be happy for winning records and mid December bowl game. I hope the hire says we're going for it all, not just incremental improvements to just get over the .500 hurdle every season... YAWN.

Whomever they do hire, I'll get on board. I do want to see at least a team that appears to be solidly coached the first season or two. After that if we're not in the 8+ win range then the hire was a failure.

Last edited: