HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
If Shedeur Sanders is good enough, the NFL will find him...and it isn't like he's not getting any coverage playing for Deion and JSU. Gameday was just at JSU. They're getting PLENTY of it.

Steve McNair played at Alcorn State, another HBCU. He was the 3rd overall NFL draft pick his year.
I’m not saying it can’t be done but it’s a lot easier to make the NFL if he’s in the P5 and Deion even admitted that during one of his interviews.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I would think he would want to get the P5 opportunity ASAP to progress his coaching career and also bring his son with him to get more recognition. It will be hard for his son to make the NFL at JSU, so I would think Deion would look to jump to P5 this year for that reason alone.

I think he would too. My gut says he's not gonna get a P5 offer.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Sewak ain't coming back. He was planning to retire in 2018 whether CPJ stayed or not.

Part of me wonders if this wasn't the straw that stirred the drink for CPJ. He really liked Sewak.
It was a mix of being tired of dealing with Stansbury and Tech being cheap. He was really tired of not being given to money to hire a better staff and the decision by Todd to not buy another game to make us bowl eligible was his last straw.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It was a mix of being tired of dealing with Stansbury and Tech being cheap. He was really tired of not being given to money to hire a better staff and the decision by Todd to not buy another game to make us bowl eligible was his last straw.

I know all that. What I was referring to was his relationship with Sewak. Sewak was retiring in 2018 regardless of CPJs decision. CPJ had a lot of frustrations with GT and the last thing he wanted to do was deal with all those AND replace the OL coach, which was the linchpin of his offense. He stayed a year past the frustration with TStan, but retired with Sewak.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
If coach contract structure shifts in favor of the athletic programs it’ll take a while, GT‘s search this year is too early in the portal era for there to be a big difference.

It wouldn’t change overnight, it would take years of coaches negotiating differently (eg like a Chadwell type trying to talk a school into prioritizing a relatively cheaper experiment on him over more expensive proven P5 options).

Very little incentive for any coach to try to do that yet, until there are is a track record of “defectors” in the prisoner dilemma senses
Because of the portal the turn around can be done much faster, look at UT Knoxville, that was what was really behind my original question. IMO the portal should have the effect of balancing out the haves and have nots at least somewhat. I see CFB, after all the conference re-alignment, looking more like the pros at the end of the season, you could make the playoffs with 2 losses.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Because of the portal the turn around can be done much faster, look at UT Knoxville, that was what was really behind my original question. IMO the portal should have the effect of balancing out the haves and have nots at least somewhat. I see CFB, after all the conference re-alignment, looking more like the pros at the end of the season, you could make the playoffs with 2 losses.

I think the one thing that might prevent it from being like the pros is that the NFL does a good job keeping the playing feild level from a $$$ perspective. So teams in Buffalo and Kansas City have equal footing with the ones in NY and LA. This is NOT happening at the college level.
I am not a pro sports guy but the NFL by far has the most compelling model. I think parity creates more interest.

slugboy

Staff member
I think the one thing that might prevent it from being like the pros is that the NFL does a good job keeping the playing feild level from a $$$ perspective. So teams in Buffalo and Kansas City have equal footing with the ones in NY and LA. This is NOT happening at the college level.
I am not a pro sports guy but the NFL by far has the most compelling model. I think parity creates more interest.
There seems to be a lot more conformity in the NFL. At most, you can tinker around the edges. There are outbreaks of “greatest show on turf”, but they don’t seem to last long.
Buffalo is an interesting team, though.
Maybe a team can use the portal well, but so far here it’s been a wash (at best). It hasn’t been a quick fix for us. On the other hand, some other teams have used NIL or recruited some of our players away really well.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Tennessee was borderline top 10 recruiting and loaded with talent. Their issue has always been coaching. Other than stealing the QB from VT, I'm not sure the "portal" is the answer for quick turnarounds. It should be used to either add depth or, if lucky, add that one missing piece, similar to what UT did with Hooker. When you start to depend on the portal, you start to neglect recruiting HS talent, and I think that was the biggest mistake CGC made in his tenure here.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
For all the candidates, it's interesting to see the mood swings going on at Auburn.

Hugh Freeze is likely out. Apparently he just signed an 8 year deal with Liberty which AU would have to buy out. And still pay him $8M a year. But he's on the blacklist, so this is probably a NO.

Lane Kiffin is the front runner. But ... his ex-wife just moved to Oxford to be near the kids, his daughter enrolled at Ole Miss and it looks like he's using AU for leverage to get a bigger contract at Ole Miss, where he has complete control and walks like a god around town. Word is he is now a NO and only interested in the Bama job.

Urban Meyer has emerged from the shadows as someone who needs to rehabilitate his career at a school that needs to rehabilitate its reputation. Doubtful, but interesting.

Jeff Grimes ... OC at Baylor and worked previously at Auburn. No headcoaching experience.

Bill O'Brien has the adults talking. His contract is up in January so he's affordable and available. Word is that he's interested in going back to the NFL. But AU recognizes that the roster is a depleted, and will likely worsen at season end. So they need someone who can build a program.

Deion Sanders ... is the talk of the students. The feeling within the AD office is that Deion has a full time job being PrimeTime. And the SEC is a helluva workload and Deion has some health issues not widely discussed. He may be interested, but not up to it. Besides, he bring NIL but Auburn feels like they are really well positioned there. Interest here seems to be waning.

Long story short ... only those with SEC experience will be considered. That was Harsin's downfall, not to mention his inability to understand how AU works. O'Brien is emerging as a very safe bet.

Apparently, like GT, the President of AU is involved and wants the best they can get. The problem is, Auburn is not a great place to coach because the shelf-life is so short. They will ultimately need someone who won't mind getting fired.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Sewak ain't coming back. He was planning to retire in 2018 whether CPJ stayed or not.

Part of me wonders if this wasn't the straw that stirred the drink for CPJ. He really liked Sewak.
Yes. A very apt and accurate turn of phrase. But I think Sewak's version of Oline blocking turned away defensive recruits knowing they would have to practice against it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
[/QUOTE]
The nfl drafts in reverse order of previous season results. Players have written contracts.

College ( ncaa) could cut a few scholarships for teams that make playoffs