HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Correct. I think he's extremely happy to be doing what he is doing there. But he IS a father, and if he could get his son a better gig I bet he'd jump at it.
If his son is as good as everyone says, why couldn't he get a better gig on his on? Or does he only want to play for his dad?

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Correct. I think he's extremely happy to be doing what he is doing there. But he IS a father, and if he could get his son a better gig I bet he'd jump at it.
Do you mean he would take a P5 job for the $$$ to provide for his kids?

my question was meant in response to you noting that P5 programs may not want to commit to his kid as QB. So, after his eligibility is gone, does Deion want to move to P5 if it doesn’t get his kid on the field?

I agree he would go to P5 while his son could play. Just not sure he would leave HBCU when his kid has already moved on from college football

slugboy

Staff member
Do you mean he would take a P5 job for the $$$ to provide for his kids?

my question was meant in response to you noting that P5 programs may not want to commit to his kid as QB. So, after his eligibility is gone, does Deion want to move to P5 if it doesn’t get his kid on the field?

I agree he would go to P5 while his son could play. Just not sure he would leave HBCU when his kid has already moved on from college football
No, his son is his starting QB.
People expect his son to transfer with him. So, he'd take a gig where he could bring his super-good son to be the QB at a P5 school if he thought it was a good spot for his son

CEB

Helluva Engineer
No, his son is his starting QB.
People expect his son to transfer with him. So, he'd take a gig where he could bring his super-good son to be the QB at a P5 school if he thought it was a good spot for his son
No... I’m not explaining or you’re not comprehending or both...

Shadeur is a soph, I believe. His final two years of eligibility are 23&24.
Augusta said he suspected that many P5 teams could be passing on Deion (for now) because his son is a package deal at QB and they don’t want that.
I replied and said that brings an interesting question... would Deion even want to leave an HBCU AFTER his son is done playing college football?

I know his son is the QB now. I agree Deion would go P5 if he could take his son. That’s not the “interesting” question I posed... although it seems decidedly less interesting now. :)

slugboy

Staff member
No... I’m not explaining or you’re not comprehending or both...

Shadeur is a soph, I believe. His final two years of eligibility are 23&24.
Augusta said he suspected that many P5 teams could be passing on Deion (for now) because his son is a package deal at QB and they don’t want that.
I replied and said that brings an interesting question... would Deion even want to leave an HBCU AFTER his son is done playing college football?

I know his son is the QB now. I agree Deion would go P5 if he could take his son. That’s not the “interesting” question I posed... although it seems decidedly less interesting now. :)
I think the P5 offer is less interesting without his son. I'm not Deion, and I can't read his mind, but I think he's doing what he wants and he doesn't "need" the money.

Therefore, if you want him, take his son too.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I think the P5 offer is less interesting without his son. I'm not Deion, and I can't read his mind, but I think he's doing what he wants and he doesn't "need" the money.

Therefore, if you want him, take his son too.
That was my take as well. If Deion doesn’t get a P5 deal in the next 2 years, I would be surprised to see him leave a HBCU.

slugboy

Staff member
That was my take as well. If Deion doesn’t get a P5 deal in the next 2 years, I would be surprised to see him leave a HBCU.
If Notre Dame offers, I'm sure he'd go. I think he'd take an offer from a big brand.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I am out on Chadwell.....will be Patenaude 2.0. In fact, Paterdude had a better record as OC at Coastal than Chadwell has as OC/HC--- if the Stingtalk guy's stats are correct

Does it matter to you that Patenaude was in FCS and Chadwell was in FBS? Similar record, but one in a lower division and one in a higher division?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Does it matter to you that Patenaude was in FCS and Chadwell was in FBS? Similar record, but one in a lower division and one in a higher division?
And Chadwell was there the year they transitioned into FBS (2017). Comparing the FCs only record of Patenaude with the FBS transition record of Chadwell is disingenuous.

Also, Patenaude ran an offense much closer to Chadwell when he was at coastal. My guess is Collins was trying to keep Patenaude more “pro” style compared to the option spread he ran in his earlier years.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I am out on Chadwell.....will be Patenaude 2.0. In fact, Paterdude had a better record as OC at Coastal than Chadwell has as OC/HC--- if the Stingtalk guy's stats are correct
Wait. Since when is the team record the sole responsibility of the OC? And how is that the only measure that matters, not offensive efficiency metrics (yards per play, points per drive, drive efficiency, 3&O%, RZ Score %, etc.)

Also, how about some context since they were in FCS when Coach Pat was there and they moved to FBS with Chadwell.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Wait. Since when is the team record is the sole responsibility of the OC? And how is that the only measure that matters, not offensive efficiency metrics (yards per play, points per drive, drive efficiency 3&O%, etc.)
Or the level of competition. The comparison between the two doesn’t make a bunch of sense. It’s not easy to get the information for Patenaude at Coastal since they were FCS. I think I tried to get their points per drive manually a while ago, and they were above average what the FBS average was, but not sure how it compared with other FCs schools.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Yeah you needto rethink that, those “facts” are quite misleading

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The booster thing at Auburn is an issue, but as you point out, they provide a LOT of money that glosses over it. The biggest issue at Auburn and for any HFC there is the giant shadow of the 'Bama program and Nick Saban. It's not a program like GT where making bowls every year is nice and going to the ACCCG every few years can pretty much keep a HFC in good graces of the fan base. Auburn fans and boosters want their HFC to win their share of games against Alabama, go to SECCG regularly, and win national championships every now and again. They want what 'Bama has, and they want it from the time a HFC walks in the door. HFC's are almost destined to fail there because the expectations are so out of whack due to the other program in the same state.

It will be interesting to see who Auburn gets. I think most astute coaches who are ascendant will avoid it. I don't think Bill O'Brien wants it because he's notorious for being a control freak...and at Auburn, donors would be too intrusive for him. There's word that Lane Kiffin was secretly the top candidate, but there's rumbling that Saban isn't long for 'Bama and a LOT of the boosters there have already had discussions with Kiffin to take over once Saban is gone.

I do think Auburn will get a good coach eventually. There's too many resources there, and they pay will be hard to turn down. I just don't think it will be a name that Auburn fans will find "sexy" enough and the HFC will automatically be fighting an uphill battle the day he's hired.
Everything you shared is spot on. The problem with Auburn is that on the one hand, there is no question that they can keep up in the arms race. A few phone calls to boosters can raise $200 million over a weekend. (I'm not kidding.). But, they want to be involved. In recruiting. In play selection. In the roster. And very few HFC's would put up with that.

Auburns sees itself as a historically Top 10 team. And that was true for many years, but not the last 15 or so.

Alabama today is Alabama because Saban told them to F off unless he had 100% control, which he does. He has totally transformed the Bama athletic dept towards one objective and that's winning national championships and being a pipeline to the NFL. Auburn needs some serious soul searching to compete with that. Growing up, it was maybe 60/40? Today, the state is probably 70/30. Outside of Birmingham and Montgomery, Auburn's fanbase dwindles.

Fun fact. While in Mobile once, I went into a local ****'s Sporting Goods to get a Yeti Coffee Tumbler. Tons of Alabama ones, tons of LSU ones, none for Auburn. I asked the clerk, "What gives?" All she said was, "They don't sell." Yes. Bama's shadow looms large over the state.

slugboy

Staff member
You can watch them tonight and judge for yourself. Would you rather use second hand stats from the Stingtalk guy or see what they look like for yourself?

Post in thread 'APP at Coastal tonight'
https://gtswarm.com/threads/app-at-coastal-tonight.25959/post-910096

Some media outlets have said the App State coach is also a possibility, so you get a chance to see two potential coaches in action.

Of course, I have my doubts about what I’ve seen in print on who is “on the list” of potential coaches.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Why would any school care if Deion brings his son or not? Since when does the school or AD make roster decisions?
There are a lot of schools who would want his son. I am not sure why his son coming would be viewed as a negative. Shedeur was a 4* QB coming out of high school. He had a composit rating on 247 of .9126, for comparison Jeff Sims rating as .9169.