HC Candidate/Rumors/Info Thread

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I copied this post from another forum but it brings up some interesting facts that kinda put a damper on Chadwell’s success at Coastal. The part about Patenaude is like a punch in the gut to me

“I don't understand the love for Chadwell. Delta State was perennial powerhouse in D2. Chadwell took over and went 3-7 before he bolted to Charleston Southern after that single year. He goes 35-14 there but leaves to take the OC job at Coastal. The next year Charleston Southern gets hammered for violations while Chadwell was there and vacate more than half of those wins and one of their league championships (sound familiar?).

And here's a scary stat...Chadwell is 42-27 as OC of Coastal (37-20 as HC) before this year. The OC before Chadwell was 51-17 over his five years. That was some guy named Dave Patenaude.”

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
yeah deion reminds them too much of collins (ridiculous take anyway) so they would prefer collins assistant over him. make it make sense
I am coming around on Deion in some respects, I think he will likely do well in a Dabo-esque HC situation at a school with PLENTY of financial support. I don’t think Tech is the place where he will get that and he likely knows that too. I’m also of the opinion that a ton of our fans are old-school curmudgeons who would hate his style from the get-go, add to that the very strong possibility of there being a QB favoritism controversy involving his son if the kid struggles at all and Deion doesn‘t play everybody’s favorite player- the backup QB.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

interesting thread about Lane Kiffin’s opinion on Deion being a perfect fit for Auburn. Which could actually work, AU has the money to buy fired ex-NFL and cfb head coaches as coordinators/support staff AND the money to finance the NIL needed to recruit a team full of 4-5 stars to get them on the level with Bama and uga

Auburn may not have as much money as you think, they are paying off Harsin and Malzahn

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The fact that there are people who actually would rather have Brent Key than Deion amazes and scares me

yeah deion reminds them too much of collins (ridiculous take anyway) so they would prefer collins assistant over him. make it make sense

People are entitled to have differing opinions on the direction they would like GT to take regarding a new HC. Not everyone will agree on who the hire should be. What's important is that we as a board give whoever is hired a fair chance to succeed.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

interesting thread about Lane Kiffin’s opinion on Deion being a perfect fit for Auburn. Which could actually work, AU has the money to buy fired ex-NFL and cfb head coaches as coordinators/support staff AND the money to finance the NIL needed to recruit a team full of 4-5 stars to get them on the level with Bama and uga

What that sounds like to me is Kiffin wants the Auburn job

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
add to that the very strong possibility of there being a QB favoritism controversy involving his son if the kid struggles at all and Deion doesn‘t play everybody’s favorite player- the backup QB.

This is the reason I think it's less likely Prime gets a P5 nod just yet. Every AD out there knows that his son will be the starting QB on whatever team he coaches, and I believe most are wise enough to avoid the unnecessary drama.

Now, if there is a P5 school that thinks Deion's son is the answer at QB for them, then that's a horse of another color.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I copied this post from another forum but it brings up some interesting facts that kinda put a damper on Chadwell’s success at Coastal. The part about Patenaude is like a punch in the gut to me

“I don't understand the love for Chadwell. Delta State was perennial powerhouse in D2. Chadwell took over and went 3-7 before he bolted to Charleston Southern after that single year. He goes 35-14 there but leaves to take the OC job at Coastal. The next year Charleston Southern gets hammered for violations while Chadwell was there and vacate more than half of those wins and one of their league championships (sound familiar?).

And here's a scary stat...Chadwell is 42-27 as OC of Coastal (37-20 as HC) before this year. The OC before Chadwell was 51-17 over his five years. That was some guy named Dave Patenaude.”

He wasn't responsible for the penalties at Charleston Southern. This has been discussed before in this thread. It was an academic issue that affected the entire athletic department...Chadwell just happened to be there at the same time:

As for the records, there's more nuance than just saying Coastal was already good. Remember, Patenaude was there when Coastal first started football and they were at a lower division. Chadwell is now playing FBS football in one of the best conferences outside of P5. I won't get in too deep as all of this has been discussed earlier in this thread. My point is, Chadwell wasn't gifted the program that Coastal is now. He actually had to build to an FBS powerhouse outside of P5.

Just goes to show you, if you want to look for negatives for any coach, you don't have to look too hard.

Last edited:

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I took it quite another way... I think Kiffin wants nothing to do with Auburn and he would love to see them make a mistake and end up in a bigger tailspin.
Deion may or may not be that mistake, but he's trolling. The more drama, the better for Kiff.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Auburn boosters write $100 million dollar checks. They can get whoever they want.

The booster thing at Auburn is an issue, but as you point out, they provide a LOT of money that glosses over it. The biggest issue at Auburn and for any HFC there is the giant shadow of the 'Bama program and Nick Saban. It's not a program like GT where making bowls every year is nice and going to the ACCCG every few years can pretty much keep a HFC in good graces of the fan base. Auburn fans and boosters want their HFC to win their share of games against Alabama, go to SECCG regularly, and win national championships every now and again. They want what 'Bama has, and they want it from the time a HFC walks in the door. HFC's are almost destined to fail there because the expectations are so out of whack due to the other program in the same state.

It will be interesting to see who Auburn gets. I think most astute coaches who are ascendant will avoid it. I don't think Bill O'Brien wants it because he's notorious for being a control freak...and at Auburn, donors would be too intrusive for him. There's word that Lane Kiffin was secretly the top candidate, but there's rumbling that Saban isn't long for 'Bama and a LOT of the boosters there have already had discussions with Kiffin to take over once Saban is gone.

I do think Auburn will get a good coach eventually. There's too many resources there, and they pay will be hard to turn down. I just don't think it will be a name that Auburn fans will find "sexy" enough and the HFC will automatically be fighting an uphill battle the day he's hired.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Either that, or he is licking his chops at the prospect of coaching against him in the same division every year. I don't think I'd be commenting on who should be hired to coach a team that is on your schedule every year. Especially if they do hire him and he regularly beats you.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I took it quite another way... I think Kiffin wants nothing to do with Auburn and he would love to see them make a mistake and end up in a bigger tailspin.
Deion may or may not be that mistake, but he's trolling. The more drama, the better for Kiff.
I agree. Kiff is a pot-stirrer for sure. And I think he does it for the lols. He might be one of the most successful-yet-immature people I know about. Well, other than Elon.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer

Chadwell was there for the transition from 1-AA to 1-A, Patenaude was there while they were already distinguished as a FCS power.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
This is the reason I think it's less likely Prime gets a P5 nod just yet. Every AD out there knows that his son will be the starting QB on whatever team he coaches, and I believe most are wise enough to avoid the unnecessary drama.

Now, if there is a P5 school that thinks Deion's son is the answer at QB for them, then that's a horse of another color.
Which begs kind of an interesting question... you think Deion will be interested in taking a P5 job if it doesn’t get his son on the field there (in other words, a few years from now when his kid is gone)?
I kind of get the feeling he is pretty proud to be doing what he’s doing at a HBCU...

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Which begs kind of an interesting question... you think Deion will be interested in taking a P5 job if it doesn’t get his son on the field there (in other words, a few years from now when his kid is gone)?
I kind of get the feeling he is pretty proud to be doing what he’s doing at a HBCU...

Correct. I think he's extremely happy to be doing what he is doing there. But he IS a father, and if he could get his son a better gig I bet he'd jump at it.