Haynes King starting vs. UL

Should we merge some stuff

• Move the starting QB posts from the depth chart thread into this one

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Leave the threads as they are now

Votes: 41 46.1%
  • Make one big thread

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Fire Danny Hall (whoops, this is football)

Votes: 27 30.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JacketFan137

Banned
Amazing how some people are pessimistic a week away from the season opener. If you can't be pumped and excited about the potential of this QB and team then turn in your fan card.
i think pyron won a lot of hearts and minds as a result of him being seen as a symbol of the end of the collins era lol

i think they wanted this to continue and they may be upset even though all of the camp reports the entire time said that this was a true competition and neither had a real edge throughout the process

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I trust the coaches, they are the ones watching practice and film every day, not us.
I believe they are making their decisions based on what they see.
I also think they are intelligent enough that if circumstances change as the season progresses that they will make adjustments,

I'm just ready for game 1.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I trust the coaches, they are the ones watching practice and film every day, not us.
I also think they are intelligent enough that if circumstances change as the season progresses that they will make adjustments,

Me too.

I think what some people worry about (overly so) is that there is a difference between practice and game conditions. Pyron rises to game conditions.

slugboy

Staff member
If coaches always picked the correct QB, Joe Burrow would have won a title and a Heisman at Ohio State instead of LSU, and Justin Fields might have won one at UGA.

I’m optimistic. If someone can edge out Pyron in practice, they probably look really good.

On a different note—For the last few years, we had complaints of WRs taking plays off, not getting open, and not being fully in the game. That leads to sacks, incompletions, and interceptions. As important as the QB is, all of the offensive players playing fast and smart on every play is a bigger deal than how one player plays.*** QBs can look a lot better if someone is open, and open quickly

*** this is the Internet, so someone will say I mean that the QB doesn’t matter. I’m saying the other 10 offensive players can make Joe Montana look like a bum, while the other 21 guys can win Trent Dilfer a Superbowl.

Last edited:

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
For Kings and any qb s sake, I hope we have good health and solid play from our offensive tackles.

So far i have heard a lot of names of quality for back up at center and guards.

Play calling gets really limited if we have guards at tackle against quality DE
Football games are won and lost in the trenches. Don’t care how much of a playmaker your QB may be. He might bail you out of poor line play occasionally but not for 60 straight minutes.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
Me too.

I think what some people worry about (overly so) is that there is a difference between practice and game conditions. Pyron rises to game conditions.
He did at times....but not always. There were freshman moments. He's a very likable guy which may lead to some overlooking those tough moments. Which has led many to speculate that the decision to go with King may have been partly because of his experience.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Football games are won and lost in the trenches. Don’t care how much of a playmaker your QB may be. He might bail you out of poor line play occasionally but not for 60 straight minutes.
All that matters is the offensive line. How GT fans continue to be lemmings after what we’ve seen over the past 15 years is beyond me. When GT has a nasty OLine we win football games. QB’s, RB’s, and WR’s are a dime a dozen. Sure, you have the elite at those positions and we've been blessed to have a few (Joe Ham, Calvin, Dwyer, and Gibbs) but those are few and far between. Johnson won when our OLine was legit. Collins didn’t win at all. If our OLine is below average then don’t be shocked when the GT fanbase says our QB’s, RB’s, and WR’s are below par. If our OLine is above average then amazingly our skilled positions will shine.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
All that matters is the offensive line. How GT fans continue to be lemmings after what we’ve seen over the past 15 years is beyond me. When GT has a nasty OLine we win football games. QB’s, RB’s, and WR’s are a dime a dozen. Sure, you have the elite at those positions and we've been blessed to have a few (Joe Ham, Calvin, Dwyer, and Gibbs) but those are few and far between. Johnson won when our OLine was legit. Collins didn’t win at all. If our OLine is below average then don’t be shocked when the GT fanbase says our QB’s, RB’s, and WR’s are below par. If our OLine is above average then amazingly our skilled positions will shine.
I think O-Line is the most important, but QBs are not a dime a dozen, and we definitely don't seem to have been hitting on receivers at a very good rate either. Receivers that run slow, sloppy routes, can't catch, can't get seperation, and can't block and a qb that can't throw at least decently will be 1 dimensional and allow a defense to send extra guys to overwhelm the o-line.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
If coaches always picked the correct QB, Joe Burrow would have won a title and a Heisman at Ohio State instead of LSU, and Justin Fields might have won one at UGA.

I’m optimistic. If someone can edge out Pyron in practice, they probably look really good.

On a different note—For the last few years, we had complaints of WRs taking plays off, not getting open, and not being fully in the game. That leads to sacks, incompletions, and interceptions. As important as the QB is, all of the offensive players playing fast and smart on every play is a bigger deal than how one player plays.*** QBs can look a lot better if someone is open, and open quickly

*** this is the Internet, so someone will say I mean that the QB doesn’t matter. I’m saying the other 10 offensive players can make Joe Montana look like a bum, while the other 21 guys can win Trent Dilfer a Superbowl.

I think you may have picked examples of 2 QBs who really benefitted from different systems and coaching as well as experience rather than coaches picking the wrong guy. Hopefully this pattern applies to King given his struggles at TAMU.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
I think O-Line is the most important, but QBs are not a dime a dozen, and we definitely don't seem to have been hitting on receivers at a very good rate either. Receivers that run slow, sloppy routes, can't catch, can't get seperation, and can't block and a qb that can't throw at least decently will be 1 dimensional and allow a defense to send extra guys to overwhelm the o-line.
It’s almost like it’s a team sport that everyone has to their job to be successful *gasps*

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I'm for the QB who doesn't throw picks! Eat it or , preferably throw it away. Don't throw into coverage. Sims was a head case passing. Could not find the open man, and made bad decisions under pressure. I relly hope he does well at Nebraska. Seems lke a good kid. But practice is definitely different than game play. Pressure to perform...

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
On a different note—For the last few years, we had complaints of WRs taking plays off, not getting open, and not being fully in the game. That leads to sacks, incompletions, and interceptions. As important as the QB is, all of the offensive players playing fast and smart on every play is a bigger deal than how one player plays.*** QBs can look a lot better if someone is open, and open quickly.
Yesssss. In the kind of O we are apparently getting ready to play having everybody pay attention to their roles is even more important then usual. OLs, as I've said here before, can look a lot better than their talent level if the skill players do things like run the right routes, hit the right holes fast, and deliver the ball on time. If this doesn't happen and the OL has to hold blocks for a long time, bad things happen. Football is a team sport in the strictest sense; for plays to work, players have to execute them correctly and on time.

Now, of course, that usually doesn't happen; preventing it is what the D is for. But the closer everyone gets, the more likely that someone will find that hole or come open in time.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
I’m quite sure most of the folks on this forum love Ga Tech but it has been tough the last 4 years. It’s Brent Key time now baby and the future is bright for Ga Tech football! Let’s go Ga Tech, send dem cardinals back to Kentucky with a butt kicking!
At least I could suffer along with all you fine gentlemen. Win together. Lose together. Click *post reply* together. All. Year. Long.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Root, the optimistic pessimist. ALL pessimist say they are realist. ALL OF Them!
I see us as an improved team for sure. It's impossible to know how well our "peer" opponents will be this year. We do know UGA and Clemson have accumulated far more talent than GT and are well coached teams. Ole Miss also has more talent and is well coached.

We clearly should be better than the 2 FCS schools and UVA seems to be a mess. Beyond that the rest of the ACC schedule seems to be our peers. Expecting to win all of those games is unrealistic. Winning 3 of them would be good and get us to 6-6.

That is optimistically realistic.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keep in mind Pyron only played in 3 games, so we are talking about a limited sample size. I was encouraged overall but I was also not in some gold-colored glasses that he was ready last year to be a high level starting QB. From a passing standpoint he had 3 TD's and 3INT's.

I think SOWEGA has the best point. How well the offense performs will rely heavily on how the OL performs. That is another big question mark for this season. We finally have a good number of returnees this year, but they were not very good last year and depth is really unproven right now.
OL and DL are my 2 biggest concerns on this team.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm for the QB who doesn't throw picks! Eat it or , preferably throw it away. Don't throw into coverage. Sims was a head case passing. Could not find the open man, and made bad decisions under pressure. I relly hope he does well at Nebraska. Seems lke a good kid. But practice is definitely different than game play. Pressure to perform...

Me, too. (And not just because my wife is a Cornhusker, and I have to watch every Nebraska game each year in addition to Tech's games).

I think Jeff Sims is a good player, but TFG and his OC's had him in his head constantly, which didn't put him in the best position to shine.

When I think about it, the two things I haven't been able to get out of my head are him not liking being hit (i.e., not putting his head down and getting the extra 2 yards for a first down when needed) and him quitting on the team mid-season. Both of those leave a bad taste, and I hope that both are attributable to the coaching he was getting.

While I don't like the fact that he quit on the team, I also understand that football is a business, and once he had made his decision to leave, he was smart to stand down and not get injured (see: ZP's broken collarbone). I don't hate the player here, I hate the game. Hoping he balls out at Nebraska and does everything he needs to do to get things back on track.

As a side-note, since my wife and I started dating 12 years ago, almost every year it seems like Tech and Nebraska's fates are tied together. When NU is doing well, Tech is doing well - and vice-versa. So naturally, I want Matt Rhule and Jeff Sims to come out swinging in Lincoln, just like I want Brent Key and Haynes King to turn a lot of heads - in a good way - this year in ATL.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I see us as an improved team for sure. It's impossible to know how well our "peer" opponents will be this year. We do know UGA and Clemson have accumulated far more talent than GT and are well coached teams. Ole Miss also has more talent and is well coached.

We clearly should be better than the 2 FCS schools and UVA seems to be a mess. Beyond that the rest of the ACC schedule seems to be our peers. Expecting to win all of those games is unrealistic. Winning 3 of them would be good and get us to 6-6.

That is optimistically realistic.
Bowling Green is FBS.