Haynes King starting vs. UL

Should we merge some stuff

• Move the starting QB posts from the depth chart thread into this one

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Leave the threads as they are now

Votes: 41 46.1%
  • Make one big thread

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Fire Danny Hall (whoops, this is football)

Votes: 27 30.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I see us as an improved team for sure. It's impossible to know how well our "peer" opponents will be this year. We do know UGA and Clemson have accumulated far more talent than GT and are well coached teams. Ole Miss also has more talent and is well coached.

We clearly should be better than the 2 FCS schools and UVA seems to be a mess. Beyond that the rest of the ACC schedule seems to be our peers. Expecting to win all of those games is unrealistic. Winning 3 of them would be good and get us to 6-6.

That is optimistically realistic.
I like that assessment Root.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Me, too. (And not just because my wife is a Cornhusker, and I have to watch every Nebraska game each year in addition to Tech's games).

I think Jeff Sims is a good player, but TFG and his OC's had him in his head constantly, which didn't put him in the best position to shine.

When I think about it, the two things I haven't been able to get out of my head are him not liking being hit (i.e., not putting his head down and getting the extra 2 yards for a first down when needed) and him quitting on the team mid-season. Both of those leave a bad taste, and I hope that both are attributable to the coaching he was getting.

While I don't like the fact that he quit on the team, I also understand that football is a business, and once he had made his decision to leave, he was smart to stand down and not get injured (see: ZP's broken collarbone). I don't hate the player here, I hate the game. Hoping he balls out at Nebraska and does everything he needs to do to get things back on track.

As a side-note, since my wife and I started dating 12 years ago, almost every year it seems like Tech and Nebraska's fates are tied together. When NU is doing well, Tech is doing well - and vice-versa. So naturally, I want Matt Rhule and Jeff Sims to come out swinging in Lincoln, just like I want Brent Key and Haynes King to turn a lot of heads - in a good way - this year in ATL.
Anytime Georgia, ND, Nebraska, Ohio St and Michigan loses, it’s a good day but I have a soft spot for Matt Rhule and Jeff Sims. Penn State and Ga Tech football always comes first in sports in my eyes and I always pull for former players and coaches regardless of where they go unless they’re playing Penn State or Ga Tech. I will not pull for Nebraska to win but if Matt Rhule or Jeff Sims does something in a game to get Nebraska the win…..I’m their biggest cheerleader. 😁

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We also need to take off the gold-colored glasses a little with Pyron (Who I really like long term).
He played in 3 games last season - only one of them complete.
He came in against FSU after Gibson was ineffective. Pyron was no better in the first half when the game was in doubt. He went 6-7 for 17 yds in the first half (with -12 yds rushing). In the second half as FSU had a large lead the entire half he was much more effective, but the game was never really in doubt.
He then played against VT - one of the 2 worst teams in the conference and played well.
Finally he played against Miami before getting hurt late in the third quarter. That was his weakest performance overall going 12-22 for 112 yds with 1 TD And 2 INT. He did add 66 yds rushing.

He also has shown largely the same strengths and weaknesses as King. Both have big arms, but are as likely to throw an INT as a TD. Both are athletic and can run. It almost feels like one is simply a player with more experience than the other.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
We also need to take off the gold-colored glasses a little with Pyron (Who I really like long term).
He came in against FSU after Gibson was ineffective. Pyron was no better in the first half when the game was in doubt. He went 6-7 for 17 yds in the first half (with -12 yds rushing). In the second half as FSU had a large lead the entire half he was much more effective, but the game was never really in doubt.
He then played against VT - one of the 2 worst teams in the conference and played well.
Finally he played against Miami before getting hurt late in the third quarter. That was his weakest performance overall going 12-22 for 112 yds with 1 TD And 2 INT. He did add 66 yds rushing.

He also has shown largely the same strengths and weaknesses as King. Both have big arms, but are as likely to throw an INT as a TD. Both are athletic and can run. It almost feels like one is simply a player with more experience than the other.
I didn't realize that anyone was viewing Pyron as our next savior. He had a few flashes of potential last year and appears to be a great prospect for us, but he's not proven and was beat out for the week 1 starter spot. More power to him and I hope he stays.

That said, we're less than a week away from kickoff. I'm excited to see what Buster's offenses looks like!

CEB

Helluva Engineer

All true.
All understandable for a freshman too.
Like it’s said of several promising QBs during their freshman campaigns... we know he is going to strike up the band, we’re just not sure which one.

JacketFan137

Banned
I didn't realize that anyone was viewing Pyron as our next savior. He had a few flashes of potential last year and appears to be a great prospect for us, but he's not proven and was beat out for the week 1 starter spot. More power to him and I hope he stays.

That said, we're less than a week away from kickoff. I'm excited to see what Buster's offenses looks like!
it seemed to be a pretty common belief on all the social media platforms including here that he was the guy. i think the stuff with sims allegedly quitting the team and zach gibson’s really rough first outing vs virginia, pyron coming in seemed like a breath of fresh air so everyone really rallied behind him and ignored some of the shortcomings.

my only concern is that whenever there’s a qb competition like this is it really divides the fanbase and there will be a ton of people that get really loud and obnoxious the second king makes a mistake

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
it seemed to be a pretty common belief on all the social media platforms including here that he was the guy. i think the stuff with sims allegedly quitting the team and zach gibson’s really rough first outing vs virginia, pyron coming in seemed like a breath of fresh air so everyone really rallied behind him and ignored some of the shortcomings.

my only concern is that whenever there’s a qb competition like this is it really divides the fanbase and there will be a ton of people that get really loud and obnoxious the second king makes a mistake
Well, winning cures a lot of gripes. If the fan base is divided over who starts, a few wins will bring everyone together.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
and there will be a ton of people that get really loud and obnoxious the second king someone makes a mistake

As kickoff approaches, someone, somewhere is lurking in the bushes desperately hoping that someone, be it player or coach make a bad play or decision. From being on the various fan sites for a few decades, for some the thrill of being able to proclaim "I told you so" seems to supercede the joy of a win or even a loss in close, well played contest between an equivalent team or even one that is better. I wish I wasn't as cynical as I am but I have been around for a bit and playing close attention whilst doing so.

I am excited about this fall and looking forward to this coming Friday night.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

To be fair, his 2nd interception that game was only because his clavicle was already broken when he tried to make the throw, he just didn't know it yet. I'm not going to hold that against him the same as throwing into double coverage or straight to a defender.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m quite sure most of the folks on this forum love Ga Tech but it has been tough the last 4 years. It’s Brent Key time now baby and the future is bright for Ga Tech football! Let’s go Ga Tech, send dem cardinals back to Kentucky with a butt kicking!
3 and a Half, but We'll count it

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
As kickoff approaches, someone, somewhere is lurking in the bushes desperately hoping that someone, be it player or coach make a bad play or decision. From being on the various fan sites for a few decades, for some the thrill of being able to proclaim "I told you so" seems to supercede the joy of a win or even a loss in close, well played contest between an equivalent team or even one that is better. I wish I wasn't as cynical as I am but I have been around for a bit and playing close attention whilst doing so.

I am excited about this fall and looking forward to this coming Friday night.
Immediately after TFP was fired , i started the " i hate the new coach before he is named club".

Your analysis of the motivation of the "i told u so" portion of our football blog is why i started the club. Anyone can say they had real doubts about the old coach or the named coach.
I started the club so they could go higher than the run of the mill back of the bus complainer.

Expertise in calling time outs at end of half is a mandatory skill.
Also declaring they will not donate or buy tickets until we are a winning program is another trait that the club hopes to affirm.

MusicalBuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Key made a choice and we gotta hope in 5 days we find out it was the best one.

Nervous Ted Striker GIF by filmeditor