Haynes King starting vs. UL

Should we merge some stuff

• Move the starting QB posts from the depth chart thread into this one

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Leave the threads as they are now

Votes: 41 46.1%
  • Make one big thread

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Fire Danny Hall (whoops, this is football)

Votes: 27 30.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We'll see, but from what I'm hearing, Avery Boyd is turning heads. He's supposedly one of the fastest guys on the team, but he's built like a linebacker and is one of, if not THE, strongest kids on the team. He may be lining up at TE, but he could easily be the most productive receiver for us with his combination of size and speed.

Good coaches will move kids around to create mismatches. It sounds like this staff is going to make FULL use of their personnel and not just line them up and let them run.

Football is a game of chess. If you have certain pieces that can give you and advantage depending where on the board you move them, and if you don't utilize them, that's a coaching failure.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I’m of the opinion that this staff will adapt the schemes to fit our talent. Not to show everyone that we’re this style or else.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Stetson was a rollout and pass machine last year and was good at delivering while on the run. I can see Buster envisioning a similar style offense this season using Kings overall strengths to his advantage he historically was considered a great thrower on the run and designed rollouts.

A recall King made a nice long completion in the Spring game, on a rollout. But at the time I also thought that he looked awkward doing it, almost like a jump pass. Sounds like Weinke is earning his salary getting King ready.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Love the red head and the pyromanic label

But back in the day, we had a great Qb named Kim King.
We were loaded w horses. KINGS back up named Larry Goode (sic) was no slouch.

Being optimistic we could finish year w pundits saying look out for Gt in 24.

In the Longview film, u can see that King starts his throw by replanting - moving his back foot. Little Justin Thomas was the best at see, stop, and pop the ball is gone to the spot. Anything close will be a coaching miracle.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just watched his passes vs Sam Houston and Bama last year and some were really solid.. others complete head scratchers. His receivers had to make some serious plays to save interceptions, and even then he had 6 over 5 games. Throwing into double and sometimes triple coverage with no clear opening.
I saw some of this in the Spring Game. He does not lack for confidence in putting the ball into the tightest spots. Our receivers are going to have to catch the ball because defenders will be close.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I would suspect that both will play in the game, unless King is playing so well that they don't want to take him out. If he is playing that well, I will be pleased.
Coach said he's not going to keep him on a short leash, I expect they will give him room to play. Doubt you see Pyron in the first game unless it's a late blowout or a total crater.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I've got a coworker who is good friends with Haynes' dad. He has a lot of high praise for Haynes and thinks we are going to very happy with him leading the team.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Twitter has no chill.
IMG_7677.jpg

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I saw some of this in the Spring Game. He does not lack for confidence in putting the ball into the tightest spots. Our receivers are going to have to catch the ball because defenders will be close.
Need to worry about INT's. Throwing into coverage is a cardinal sin for QB's.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Per King in his presser today, Key’s four pillars for grading are toughness, discipline, execution, and commitment. Hard to imagine that Pyron was behind King in toughness or commitment, so it must have been one of the other areas that he thought King was superior.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes you have to throw into "coverage" but NOT into situations where the DEF guy (s) have a better chance to catch the ball.Sometimes the the Rec has to make the play/catch.Not too many wide-open guys downfield esp with a poor OL. blocking..

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Per King in his presser today, Key’s four pillars for grading are toughness, discipline, execution, and commitment. Hard to imagine that Pyron was behind King in toughness or commitment, so it must have been one of the other areas that he thought King was superior.
Judging by his A&M highlights and his conflict with Jimbo, Haynes looks to me to be a gunslinger while Pyron is a different breed of cat. Maybe that appeals more to the coaches. Who knows? We will soon see.