Hawaii Diamond Head Classic

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Our bench with a strong 0-8. At this point, Phillips offers just as much as Parham. Also, Moore is shooting about 30 pct this year from the field. Inexcusable as an ACC wing.
We’ve got three guys that just aren’t pulling their weight. Banks, Moore and Parham. Four are doing well but we need the others to make their shots to be a winning team. James needs to man up.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, it’s frustrating because it was a hard fought game that was winnable. For a lot of the second half it felt like we were right on the edge of getting back even, and yet it also felt hopelessly out of reach at the same time because we are just so ineffective on offense. It’s extra frustrating when every close winnable game we are in seems to turn out the same way, then you sprinkle in a few complete duds like cuse and ball state. When does it end?

I hate to admit it but I felt that way. We were getting close but I never thought it was in reach

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I stand by my comments from earlier today that we are much better with JA and that he brings a fire to the team we lacked without him.

That said we better do some soul searching between now and ACC play if we want to take advantage of the appeal we made for postseason play.

I still think we have a reasonable shot at the tourney if the starting 5 stay healthy, but durn Banks needs to wake up and Devoe has to refind his rhythm.

We can be scary good with Moses playing as he is and those three doing what they need to combined with a healthy JA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I just want a “W” period! Could care less what we wear.
A chance to get to .500 again on Christmas Day/Night, as Hawai’i is beatable. They did play defense against Washington and stayed competitive. Much like we did vs. Houston.

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Too much talent to be 5-6, with a couple loses being humiliating. If Banks doesn’t hit FTs against NC State, 4-7. Could say same if Ark prayer doesn’t fall, but still. Kinda fortunate to have current record. Think there’s enough talent on the roster. Has to click real fast, and continue for a couple months, a real longshot. If we keep running 3-man weave, no chance we sustainably turn this around. Just do not understand that senseless weave. What happened to playing faster? If our half court set is this bad, RUN!!! Why give D chance to set up. Jose likes a track meet. Devoe wants fast. Bubba would get more space in chaos. Banks gets more trail dunks. Usher thrives. No reason not to speed up. Offense isn’t something to do between Defensive possessions. Frustrating.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I stand by my comments from earlier today that we are much better with JA and that he brings a fire to the team we lacked without him.

That said we better do some soul searching between now and ACC play if we want to take advantage of the appeal we made for postseason play.

I still think we have a reasonable shot at the tourney if the starting 5 stay healthy, but durn Banks needs to wake up and Devoe has to refind his rhythm.

We can be scary good with Moses playing as he is and those three doing what they need to combined with a healthy JA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I making stuff up in my head or did banks have shoulder issues before he was at tech/last year? I wonder if his shoulder is bothering him since I’ve seen him having it wrapped the last few games.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Too much talent to be 5-6, with a couple loses being humiliating. If Banks doesn’t hit FTs against NC State, 4-7. Could say same if Ark prayer doesn’t fall, but still. Kinda fortunate to have current record. Think there’s enough talent on the roster. Has to click real fast, and continue for a couple months, a real longshot. If we keep running 3-man weave, no chance we sustainably turn this around. Just do not understand that senseless weave. What happened to playing faster? If our half court set is this bad, RUN!!! Why give D chance to set up. Jose likes a track meet. Devoe wants fast. Bubba would get more space in chaos. Banks gets more trail dunks. Usher thrives. No reason not to speed up. Offense isn’t something to do between Defensive possessions. Frustrating.

That weave is literally a waste of time it doesn’t get anyone open, all it does is waste about 8 seconds of shot clock and leaves the ball in banks hands in the high post. Which is still not effective.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
banks looks glum. even when we are playing well he is glum. like he is somewhere else. he is not enjoying the game or the moment. imagine him playing with the enthusiasm of the kid who played against us who had that non stop magic johnson smile. like he was in heaven. i sure hope its something that can be fixed. what ever the problem is. i like banks.

Last edited:

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
banks looks glum. even when we are playing well he is glum. like he is somewhere else. he is not enjoying the game or the moment. imagine him playing with the enthusiasm of the kid who played against us who had that non stop magic johnson smile. like he was in heaven. i sure hope its something that can be fixed. what ever the problem is. i like banks.
Whatever his problem is, he and Pastner need to sit down and come to a decision. If Banks needs to take a leave then let him. I’d he wants to be gone let him go. At this point he’s not bringing much to the floor. His pouting and poor play looks to be having an effect on the team. We’re playing better small with Moses at the 5. I hope the kid pulls through but we’re 1/3 through the schedule and a game under.500
The ACC opening stretch is brutal.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Agree with you guys on Banks, he seems to have checked-out.
Another disjointed offensive effort, I believe we have some talent on this roster, I'm not sure CJP knows what to do with it ??

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
How can anyone be mad at this L? Houston was a NET 44 team. The team competed the whole game. Houston was definitely the better team tonight. We couldn’t do anything against that high ball screen the whole night. That’s probably the main thing I was disappointed with the whole night.
I don't think anyone is going to argue that Houston isn't the better team, but it's about looking at the bigger picture. We're 5-6, five days removed from a game where we trailed Ball State by 30 points at home with a few minutes left, and wee have 18 ACC games ahead of us. The future is not bright for this program at the moment.

bos

Helluva Engineer
No doubt they could have beaten Houston. This is roster with talented individuals that need to play better as a team. Perhaps Alvarado and Usher just getting into the mix will gel better as season progresses. The schedule starts to get real after tomorrow's game.

It's frustrating this year more than before, because we know this might be Pastner's best team yet. His recruits are finally old, and can't crack .500 winning % before ACC play. It just won't click, for whatever reason. Moses is playing great, but Banks is down. Parham unable to get anything done all season and be that scorer team needs. All of a sudden Moore, Price, and Cole are no longer in rotation.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Thanks for conveying my thoughts exactly. The bright spot for me on this forum is knowing that these Pastner haters will be miserable for the rest of this season and next year also because Tstan will definitely give coach his 5 years with Josh's best recruiting class coming in next year.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

But isn't that like being happy you broke your leg just because it makes you forget you have a terminal illness?

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for conveying my thoughts exactly. The bright spot for me on this forum is knowing that these Pastner haters will be miserable for the rest of this season and next year also because Tstan will definitely give coach his 5 years with Josh's best recruiting class coming in next year.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
If he wins, nobody is going to miserable. We want wins....he's not doing that and is showing no sign of making that happen. I'm sorry, but some of you might annoyed about the all the complaining on this board, but what exactly do you expect with a 5-6 record before Christmas?