Hawaii Diamond Head Classic

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
We don't need him to replace DeVoe as a scorer but he can't play 20 minutes and not score a point. He has to at least be a threat or it is one more defender sitting in the lane looking to help.

He doesn't have to be another Josh Okogie, but he can't be another Corey Heyward.

bos

Helluva Engineer
Do you understand why comparing W/L record isn't a solid argument and you should be comparing a variety of individual & team stats to prove your case?

Do you understand that winning is the only thing that actually matters? I'm sure the stats won't look much better than last year.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Do you understand that winning is the only thing that actually matters? I'm sure the stats won't look much better than last year.

I'm not disagreeing with the point you're trying to make. We're 5-6 before ACC play... Except were already 1-1 in ACC play.

I'm saying if you're gonna make a case for poorer year over year play, W/L record is the wrong path to take. Your point is likely provable in other states.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
We don't need him to replace DeVoe as a scorer but he can't play 20 minutes and not score a point. He has to at least be a threat or it is one more defender sitting in the lane looking to help.
I agree it was not a good game for Moore, but he's had some really good games this year where his athleticism showed, including NC State and Kentucky. He's not going to show out on the offensive side, and he needs to develop a consistent 15' shot, but he's impressed me with his court awareness and hustle this year. I think he's going to be a really good player when he gets consistent.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm saying if you're gonna make a case for poorer year over year play, W/L record is the wrong path to take. Your point is likely provable in other states.

You stand atop mt. Olympus tryna force us mortals down the right paths. But alas, we still run our ships aground.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Moore has had a rough couple of games. The difference between him and Banks is mostly that Moore seems to be making mistakes while trying to force the issue. He's trying to make plays, and he's just not getting it done. In that way I see him somewhat like what Moses was in year one, and even some last year. A guy trying to make the plays the team needs but not having the skill to make them. I actually think Moore has the skill for most of what he is trying to do but is just in his own head right now. I could very easily see him have one game where he does well spark him to a good rest of the year. Especially now that Jose is back and we're adding Usher. We don't need him to do a whole lot on offense. Knock down an occasional 3, and finish on a couple drives (either him or someone else feeding it to him). His biggest need will be on the other side of the ball. He struggled against Grimes yesterday but overall I don't see a reason to really think he'll be anything but one of our best defenders throughout the year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Let's be honest, when we signed Moses a few years ago, did anyone ever imagine saying "Thank God our staff signed Moses..."?!

Well, thank goodness our staff signed Moses. Right now he's our second best scorer, and our leading rebounder.

The unfortunate thing is, the way we're trending, we are going to waste his breakout season and the best overall roster we've had since (???) and do nothing with it.

It's shocking how poorly we've played...especially on the defensive end. That's been our strength under Pastner.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Merry Christmas, everyone!!! Quick question...Has Asanti Price found himself in the dog house or is he injured? He hasn’t played 1 second in Hawaii. Perhaps it’s just the result of having Usher on the team now. Shembari played over him against Boise State, which was a first.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Merry Christmas, everyone!!! Quick question...Has Asanti Price found himself in the dog house or is he injured? He hasn’t played 1 second in Hawaii. Perhaps it’s just the result of having Usher on the team now. Shembari played over him against Boise State, which was a first.
He’s definitely in the dog house. 3/26 from 3 for the szn. I know pastner wishes those minutes could go to Sjolund though...

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
banks looks glum. even when we are playing well he is glum. like he is somewhere else. he is not enjoying the game or the moment. imagine him playing with the enthusiasm of the kid who played against us who had that non stop magic johnson smile. like he was in heaven. i sure hope its something that can be fixed. what ever the problem is. i like banks.

Banks has lost his joy. It's palpable...you can see it and feel it. It could be something that is basketball related , something that is relatively easily fixable like playing lower in the post or resisting the urge to putting the ball on the floor. I hate it when big men do that. Nothing good usually comes of it. Hopefully it's not something at home. We will recall he didn't have to sit out a year after transferring because of his mother's health situation. Saw her briefly on tv a couple of weeks ago and she is in a wheelchair as a result of the auto accident which triggered the reasons for the transfer in the first place. His mom looked as if she were in pain. JBIII is a good kid, smart 'intellectually' too. I just hope that he and Pastner and Reveno work out whatever the problem is and the kid finds his joy again...and maybe we also win a few games.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well tonight is a 50/50 matchup. Vegas has us as a 1.5 pt favorite. The downside is that Washington played a zone remarkably like ours against Hawaii so they got a chance to see it and figure it out. They were pretty good at getting shots on the baseline. The upside is they play 2 bigs and bigs that really are not uber athletic so I hope Banks and Moses can have their way with them. They do shoot reasonably well so helping off of them can be bad.

Based on the half of the game I saw, if we play to our capability we should win going away. If we don't then it will be a dogfight. If we go into Ball State mode it could be ugly.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Hope we see. Devoe return to form from the perimeter and Moses continue to feast down low in the second half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk