Has it come to this?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Historically bad loss - historically bad.

Can he recover? I sure hope so. But, I won't feel better just because of positive positivity and cliches. Other than VPI, with our depleted O line, I cannot see us winning another game, and even VPI is a long shot. But, I hope he gets the team's attention, and they come out like gang busters to prove me wrong against Temple.

I bragged on the fact that we had few stupid penalties and overall, it looked like he had a disciplined and fundamentally sound football team (after Clemson), which is a sign of a good coaching staff. But, you find out a lot when there is adversity and things don't go well. I did not appreciate the stupid penalties (and I know CGC did not as well) on Saturday, and even if we lose to Temple, I am hoping I can once again say I saw a disciplined team on the field in that game.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I don't have a problem with CGC , I have a problem with our offensive coordinator. All the other coaches I like. I'm old and think it does look dumb to be dancing and jumping up and down while you are losing but I can get over that at some point . No coach is perfect they all do something you don't like. I just ain't found anything our OC has done I like other than getting our punter a good workout.
I agree. After watching film, spring practice, summer camp and 3 games in, we should have a better offense. I understand injuries on the OL, but the QB shuffle is not working, it totally disrupts any consistency of play, IMO. We have some weapons: Oliver, Camp, Mason , Davis ?, Brown..... I keep hoping Patenaud is just keeping our " real " O under wraps , saving it for conference play, BUT.........
They look predictable , inept and disorganized all at the same time

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I agree. After watching film, spring practice, summer camp and 3 games in, we should have a better offense. I understand injuries on the OL, but the QB shuffle is not working, it totally disrupts any consistency of play, IMO. We have some weapons: Oliver, Camp, Mason , Davis ?, Brown..... I keep hoping Patenaud is just keeping our " real " O under wraps , saving it for conference play, BUT.........
They look predictable , inept and disorganized all at the same time

I touched on pretty much the same thing in another thread. Glad some of us are seeing it.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Is anybody calling for CGC to be fired? I don’t think so. Is losing to a bad FCS team a troubling sign for a new coach?” Yes. We have the right to say as much. Look, if the cops find a guy with blood on his hands in the same room as a murder victim, they have every right to question the guy. He may have a valid reason and after a fair trial it may be proven that he is not the murderer, but the cops don’t need to apologize for suspecting him. It’s a troubling look. Losing to a bad FCS team is the “we may have hired the wrong guy” blood on CGC’s hands. He can prove he’s innocent and he deserves a fair trial, but we have every right to suspect him.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
The truth: very few qualified candidates wanted this job. Everyone knew how hard this was going to be.

This school does NOT have a track record of supporting athletics. It has not invested in facilities and back-office recruiting support in the same capacity as P5 peers. We don’t have a student body that is overwhelmingly supportive of college athletics in the same capacity as other schools. Compared to peers in the SE, we have a smaller enrollment and a more geographically diffuse alumni network. For many reasons we don’t get walk up fans (don’t want to get into why).

Coach Collins wanted this job more than anyone else. As sad as it is to say: enthusiasm / energy are the most important qualifications for this job given what I said above.

I still think CGC has the background that is perfect for where we want to go: HC experience at a respected G5 school, Coordinator experience at SEC programs, and 15-20 years recruiting in the SE region. That combined with energy and a burning desire to make this place great is more than what this school deserves at this point.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s easier to accept a tough transition of Tech’s offensive scheme. Just having to work around QBs recruited to run Coach Johnson’s offense (that is, primarily running QBs) is certainly a challenge. It takes passing repetitions to be proficient at passing, it takes time to learn to see the whole field, it takes time for WRs and QBs to get on the same page. But, I cannot understand how an average FBS option team should be able to blitz our defense with the triple option, given our familiarity with that scheme.
I think they did exactly what WE did to opponents for the past 11 years. They held the ball, they converted short 3rd and 4th downs, and they executed when they needed to. I couldn't help but sit there on Saturday afternoon, and feel sorry for all the teams CPJ bleed out over the years. Bottom line they played their game, and they played good enough to win.

We are starting from scratch. Everyone on this board thinks we have a mountain of talent and that our "athletes" should have been able to take over the game, but during the entire CPJ era we were competing against FCS, and G5 opponents for recruits. So in reality the talent level is sadly not much better (as of now).

Bottom line... It is going to take time, and it is going to suck, but I believe in CGC and you should too.

Animal02

Banned
I think they did exactly what WE did to opponents for the past 11 years. They held the ball, they converted short 3rd and 4th downs, and they executed when they needed to. I couldn't help but sit there on Saturday afternoon, and feel sorry for all the teams CPJ bleed out over the years. Bottom line they played their game, and they played good enough to win.

We are starting from scratch. Everyone on this board thinks we have a mountain of talent and that our "athletes" should have been able to take over the game, but during the entire CPJ era we were competing against FCS, and G5 opponents for recruits. So in reality the talent level is sadly not much better (as of now).

Bottom line... It is going to take time, and it is going to suck, but I believe in CGC and you should too.
Why because he had such a stellar career as HC in the past?

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Why because he had such a stellar career as HC in the past?
HC experience means very little. You know who else was a successful DC at Florida. None other than Bob Stoops. He had no HC experience when he left for Oklahoma. Richt was the OC at FSU before he took over UGA. Urban Meyer was a WR coach before getting his first stop at Bowling Green. Saban had no HC experience before getting his shot at Michigan State. The list goes on and on.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
The truth: very few qualified candidates wanted this job. Everyone knew how hard this was going to be.

This school does NOT have a track record of supporting athletics. It has not invested in facilities and back-office recruiting support in the same capacity as P5 peers. We don’t have a student body that is overwhelmingly supportive of college athletics in the same capacity as other schools. Compared to peers in the SE, we have a smaller enrollment and a more geographically diffuse alumni network. For many reasons we don’t get walk up fans (don’t want to get into why).

Coach Collins wanted this job more than anyone else. As sad as it is to say: enthusiasm / energy are the most important qualifications for this job given what I said above.

I still think CGC has the background that is perfect for where we want to go: HC experience at a respected G5 school, Coordinator experience at SEC programs, and 15-20 years recruiting in the SE region. That combined with energy and a burning desire to make this place great is more than what this school deserves at this point.

To further expand on this, GT is not an attractive job.

You may think that it is. You may think that you have national championships, and a fertile recruiting ground, and "1 in every 6 grads is a millionaire". You would be deceiving yourself.

To an outsider:
  • You have an apathetic fanbase that supports the team neither by showing up, nor by financially supporting the program, nor even by having a loud/noticeable public presence
  • You have an apathetic, perhaps even hostile administration that does not provide a coach the resources necessary to succeed, and an academic side that is so hostile to sports that it's a running joke AMONG THE FANBASE
  • You have marginal facilities
  • You have an unattractive academic environment, that the fanbase takes pride in, and makes it seem worse than it is
  • You have undervalued a series of above-average coaches. Coaches most programs in your position would be DELIGHTED to have had
  • You have a small media presence
  • Etc
  • Etc
  • Etc

You NEED Collins to succeed, because a model like him or Johnson is the best you can reasonably expect to get. Either A) An up and comer hoping to make his name (and it's a bonus if he has a reason to stay at GT if he beats the odds and succeeds) or B) A guy with warts who has something to prove.

If Collins fails, you will be LESS attractive than before, because if he fails, it will have demonstrated that you cannot recruit at GT in 2022 well enough to compete.

So, EVEN IF YOU FIND HIM AWFUL, and you hate his silly money down antics, and his swag chalices, and sideline dance parties, YOU NEED TO BE DANCING YOUR ASSES OFF, because he's the best you're likely to get, and if he's going to win, he's going to have to win his way. It might not work, but it certainly won't help if the fanbase is publically undercutting him all the time.

Like, yes, I personally think he's a clown of the highest magnitute, but if I'm a GT fan, I'm acting like he's the second coming, because there's probably not going to be a third coming.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

You may think that it is. You may think that you have national championships, and a fertile recruiting ground, and "1 in every 6 grads is a millionaire". You would be deceiving yourself.

To an outsider:
  • You have an apathetic fanbase that supports the team neither by showing up, nor by financially supporting the program, nor even by having a loud/noticeable public presence
  • You have an apathetic, perhaps even hostile administration that does not provide a coach the resources necessary to succeed, and an academic side that is so hostile to sports that it's a running joke AMONG THE FANBASE
  • You have an unattractive academic environment, that the fanbase takes pride in, and makes it seem worse than it is
  • You have undervalued a series of above-average coaches. Coaches most programs in your position would be DELIGHTED to have had
  • Etc
  • Etc
  • Etc

You NEED Collins to succeed, because a model like him or Johnson is the best you can reasonably expect to get. Either A) An up and comer hoping to make his name (and it's a bonus if he has a reason to stay at GT if he beats the odds and succeeds) or B) A guy with warts who has something to prove.

If Collins fails, you will be LESS attractive than before, because if he fails, it will have demonstrated that you cannot recruit at GT in 2022 well enough to compete.

So, EVEN IF YOU FIND HIM AWFUL, and you hate his silly money down antics, and his swag chalices, and sideline dance parties, YOU NEED TO BE DANCING YOUR ASSES OFF, because he's the best you're likely to get, and if he's going to win, he's going to have to win his way. It might not work, but it certainly won't help if the fanbase is publically undercutting him all the time.

Like, yes, I personally think he's a clown of the highest magnitute, but if I'm a GT fan, I'm acting like he's the second coming, because there's probably not going to be a third coming.

I cannot "like" this, but I also cannot refute hardly any of it. Can I root for CGC without having to "love" the antics and dance myself? :) Cause, that is what I am doing.

Recleb

Georgia Tech Fan
Spot on here. I don’t know enough about what other teams have facility-wise to call ours marginal, but agree with everything else.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

To an outsider:
  • Etc
  • Etc
  • Etc

I don't agree with your assessment of Collins, but there is a whole lot of wisdom in what you're saying. Collins is our shot at making the big time and our AD is fully bought in to his vision. What's next after him? Whisenhunt?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I don't agree with your assessment of Collins, but there is a whole lot of wisdom in what you're saying. Collins is our shot at making the big time. What's next after him? Whisenhunt?
Collins is your shot at staying in the medium time.

I'm saying THAT should be your worry.

When I see GT, I see "better fundamentals than Wake Forest, but not by a ton".

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

THIS.

Edit to add I do not see CGC as a highest magnitude clown, but while I disagree with the style, I am rooting like crazy for him to succeed because GT can't afford to miss right now.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
No...because he is OUR head coach. He is going to be here for the next 7 years (god willing). If you can't see the change taking place then you can become a dog fan for all I care.
I'll admit that coming into this season I was very optimistic, and saw us winning 6-7 games....maybe that was a little overzealous, but when you actually look at the roster, and realize that we have had a 2 way player on the line all year, you have to be smart enough to realize that depth, and his inherited roster is not what he is building.

Here is the problem... CGC didn't take over a cellar dwelling team where the coach had been fired. This was a 7 win team last year, with, arguably, a higher ceiling this year since we all expected better QB play and better defense in year 2 of the change... I think most of us expected that he would be able to "tread water" so to speak until he got his preferred type of player. We all bought into his pitch that we will play to our players strengths, and thought that, somehow, we could probably cobble together 4-5 wins this season. Naturally, no one would be overly thrilled with that season, but under the circumstances, it is would be understandable and reasonable. Next year, is a different story. That is a brutal schedule. We could be a pretty good football team next year and only be competitive in 6 games.
After last Saturday, there is the looming possibility we won't win another game and a fan base that subconsciously was saying "we might be an 8 win team next year" is now seriously considering two consecutive seasons with MAYBE 2 wins. That is a lot of patience to ask from a fan base... The frustration is further compounded, by the fact that there has naturally been some skepticism of CGCs ability as a coach. He is unquestionably a top notch recruiter with a proven track record. His track record as a head coach, however, is not as glowing (I'm trying to be nice here :) ). Unfortunately, given that there is such a small sample size to look at for CGCs career, this game has become the only basis we have for judging him as strategic and tactical coach.
Now, I can't speak for anyone else, but this week has made me concerned that he is going to need an overwhelming level of athletic superiority to win games... That makes me rather uneasy...

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Collins is your shot at staying in the medium time.

I'm saying THAT should be your worry.

When I see GT, I see "better fundamentals than Wake Forest, but not by a ton".

I take back my agreement. lol. I agree with several of your points, but I think the fertile recruiting ground is a way bigger advantage than people think, though. Thus, the emphasis on tapping into it.