Has it come to this?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
You think he will be able to land top 20 classes by average star rating?

There are different tiers to each star. For example there is a huge difference between a 5.5 3 start and 5.7 3 star and there is a 30 point difference ranking on the Rivals site for example between the 2. Avg star rating is not a solid way of looking at it.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
We are talking about one particular hypothetical. Not any other season. We can discuss other seasons if you want, I was responding to an OP.

Is there a particular reason we MUST talk about something almost completely off/topic?
Come on man...arguing a hypothetical record we could have had, regardless of what year we're talking about, is entirely off topic from anything to do with this current team. And besides, while we may have been "a plays away from 4-9", we were also just a few plays from turning some of the Ls to Ws. What's the point in bringing up things that never happened?

White_Gold

GT Athlete
Come on man...arguing a hypothetical record we could have had, regardless of what year we're talking about, is entirely off topic from anything to do with this current team. And besides, while we may have been "a plays away from 4-9", we were also just a few plays from turning some of the Ls to Ws. What's the point in bringing up things that never happened?

It was relative to that particular posters post.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
To further expand on this, GT is not an attractive job.

You may think that it is. You may think that you have national championships, and a fertile recruiting ground, and "1 in every 6 grads is a millionaire". You would be deceiving yourself.

To an outsider:
  • You have an apathetic fanbase that supports the team neither by showing up, nor by financially supporting the program, nor even by having a loud/noticeable public presence
  • You have an apathetic, perhaps even hostile administration that does not provide a coach the resources necessary to succeed, and an academic side that is so hostile to sports that it's a running joke AMONG THE FANBASE
  • You have marginal facilities
  • You have an unattractive academic environment, that the fanbase takes pride in, and makes it seem worse than it is
  • You have undervalued a series of above-average coaches. Coaches most programs in your position would be DELIGHTED to have had
  • You have a small media presence
  • Etc
  • Etc
  • Etc

You NEED Collins to succeed, because a model like him or Johnson is the best you can reasonably expect to get. Either A) An up and comer hoping to make his name (and it's a bonus if he has a reason to stay at GT if he beats the odds and succeeds) or B) A guy with warts who has something to prove.

If Collins fails, you will be LESS attractive than before, because if he fails, it will have demonstrated that you cannot recruit at GT in 2022 well enough to compete.

So, EVEN IF YOU FIND HIM AWFUL, and you hate his silly money down antics, and his swag chalices, and sideline dance parties, YOU NEED TO BE DANCING YOUR ASSES OFF, because he's the best you're likely to get, and if he's going to win, he's going to have to win his way. It might not work, but it certainly won't help if the fanbase is publically undercutting him all the time.

Like, yes, I personally think he's a clown of the highest magnitute, but if I'm a GT fan, I'm acting like he's the second coming, because there's probably not going to be a third coming.

I disagree with some of your points (facilities being a big one), but your overriding theme that GT's worst enemy is...GT itself is VERY true. The administration, the fans, the school...the totality of it is making us devolve as sports program. If we can get 2 of the 3 to turn the corner and get on the side of being beneficial to sports, then GT has more than a fighting chance. Unfortunately, we just make it worse on ourselves.

I use to always joke that GT can't have nice things...but it gets more true with every passing day. GT (fans, admins, coaches, student...GT up and down the line) need to look ourselves in the mirror.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I think most of us expected that he would be able to "tread water" so to speak until he got his preferred type of player. We all bought into his pitch that we will play to our players strengths, and thought that, somehow, we could probably cobble together 4-5 wins this season.

A lot of people didn't want to listen when they were told the reality of our situation in the offseason.

4-5 wins is what we were looking at even before the coaching change. Once we changed coaches that was a very optimistic outlook that would require several question marks to be answered in our favor. Unfortunately most of those questions have turned into just holes in our team, and we've also been very unfortunate with injuries compounding the matter.

There was a reason people were projecting 3 wins, and going 1-11 was a real possibility. Now I don't think people thought losing to Citadel was going to happen but FCS teams beating really bad FCS teams isn't really that notable any more. In the long run it won't really matter. Win and go 2-10 or lose and go 1-11 leaves us in pretty much the same place. And probably as soon as next year the game will be about as remembered as when Kansas lost to Nicholas State.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
You brought up the hypotheticals. I was just pointing out the fallacy in it.

I brought up a very relevant hypothetical (singular) that was germane to that poster’s premise.

You on the other hand, not even sure why you felt the need to comment other than to defend a 3 win season. There’s no defending a three year season in the middle of a coaching tenure.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
There are different tiers to each star. For example there is a huge difference between a 5.5 3 start and 5.7 3 star and there is a 30 point difference ranking on the Rivals site for example between the 2. Avg star rating is not a solid way of looking at it.

Yeah I know. The main question I was trying to get at is can CGC bring in elite players without appropriate and competitive resources? Even if he is a much better recruiter than anyone else we have had....I think the answer is No.

I don’t buy for a single second that recruiting at Tech will ever or can ever be easier than at Bama. Cute propaganda but completely unrealistic.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I brought up a very relevant hypothetical (singular) that was germane to that poster’s premise.

You on the other hand, not even sure why you felt the need to comment other than to defend a 3 win season. There’s no defending a three year season in the middle of a coaching tenure.

You ignored the reply. I simply picked the 3 win season as a point of reference. Using last years reference you made, I also pointed out we were a few plays away from being a 10 win team as well. No matter what season we reference, you are ignoring the purpose of my reply to you. Using a hypothetical to prove a point is useless. I wasn't defending a 3 win season, and have criticized CPJ for it on these very boards.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer

I certainly agree that not all 3 stars are created equal but there is a lot of raw data out there that shows that players with a higher star rating have a better chance of making the NFL. And if we look back at successful Tech teams, those teams were comprised of NFL talent.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
That only works when we go 0-8 in ACC play or when the UGA game is over by half.

Program historical and embarrassing losses like Saturday deserve it.

All this coming from someone who was fully on the Geoff Collins Juice Train.

What I saw Saturday seemed more like “Miami Lite” - lots of swagger, poor discipline, sideline antics divorced from the gravity and reality of what was happening on the field, etc. - than Georgia Tech football. Coach Collins was not supposed to be a guest on the Coach’s show going into a bye week. He made an unscheduled, though recorded, appearance. I think that shows he recognizes the monumental and total disaster that occurred this past Saturday afternoon and decided he better do something, if he wants to salvage the goodwill he has enjoyed for the last nine months.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
You ignored the reply. I simply picked the 3 win season as a point of reference. Using last years reference you made, I also pointed out we were a few plays away from being a 10 win team as well. No matter what season we reference, you are ignoring the purpose of my reply to you. Using a hypothetical to prove a point is useless. I wasn't defending a 3 win season, and have criticized CPJ for it on these very boards.

Actually a hypothetical isn’t useless in this particular case. The poster claims that we may have had a higher ceiling this year based upon a 7 win season and the players returning. I think it’s quite cogent to point out we were close to only having 4 wins when his argument is based upon not being a cellar dwelling team.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Actually a hypothetical isn’t useless in this particular case. The poster claims that we may have had a higher ceiling this year based upon a 7 win season and the players returning. I think it’s quite cogent to point out we were close to only having 4 wins and that we were a cellar dwelling team last year.

So then it's also cogent to point out we were quite close to be a 10 win ACCG appearing team last year as well?

And if 2nd in the Coastal is cellar dwelling, then you might need to define cellar better.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We were just as close to 10 wins as 4 wins last year. Most middle of the road Power 5 teams can probably say that every year.

I’m worried that we’re gonna be a one win team that could have been a four win team, aka not middle of the road, which is a step back.

There are still a couple of winnable games on the schedule. I see Pitt as being our best shot, followed by Duke. I had Temple as a possibility early but I am frankly not sure we can beat them right now. Losing Lee for the season complicates matters. We can't afford OL injuries at all now.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
source.gif

It either helps, or does not help.

IT DOES NOT HELP.

Any business owner will tell you the worst customer is the one that just quietly walks away.