Has it come to this?

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Here is the problem... CGC didn't take over a cellar dwelling team where the coach had been fired. This was a 7 win team last year, with, arguably, a higher ceiling this year since we all expected better QB play and better defense in year 2 of the change... I think most of us expected that he would be able to "tread water" so to speak until he got his preferred type of player. We all bought into his pitch that we will play to our players strengths, and thought that, somehow, we could probably cobble together 4-5 wins this season. Naturally, no one would be overly thrilled with that season, but under the circumstances, it is would be understandable and reasonable. Next year, is a different story. That is a brutal schedule. We could be a pretty good football team next year and only be competitive in 6 games.
After last Saturday, there is the looming possibility we won't win another game and a fan base that subconsciously was saying "we might be an 8 win team next year" is now seriously considering two consecutive seasons with MAYBE 2 wins. That is a lot of patience to ask from a fan base... The frustration is further compounded, by the fact that there has naturally been some skepticism of CGCs ability as a coach. He is unquestionably a top notch recruiter with a proven track record. His track record as a head coach, however, is not as glowing (I'm trying to be nice here :) ). Unfortunately, given that there is such a small sample size to look at for CGCs career, this game has become the only basis we have for judging him as strategic and tactical coach.
Now, I can't speak for anyone else, but this week has made me concerned that he is going to need an overwhelming level of athletic superiority to win games... That makes me rather uneasy...

Really well put summation of what I think a lot of us are feeling.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I don't really understand all of this discussion about hanging in there and keeping the faith. What exactly are we asking fans to do? Not get upset and criticize the coaching staff after possibly the worst loss in the history of the program? Thats just not realistic. Nobody is abandoning GT and everyone knows Collins will be here for a while. He can easily calm the fan base by showing improvement and winning some games and he will have time to do that.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I don't really understand all of this discussion about hanging in there and keeping the faith. What exactly are we asking fans to do? Not get upset and criticize the coaching staff after possibly the worst loss in the history of the program? Thats just not realistic. Nobody is abandoning GT and everyone knows Collins will be here for a while. He can easily calm the fan base by showing improvement and winning some games and he will have time to do that.

Yes, that exactly what I think fans should do. I think they should swallow their complaints, because it is entirely unproductive. The ONLY thing it can do is make the situation worse.

Collins is your coach for AT LEAST the next three years. You can either hamstring him in the first 3 weeks, or you can choke it back and give him the best chance to succeed.

It CANNOT make the situation better.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
Here is the problem... CGC didn't take over a cellar dwelling team where the coach had been fired. This was a 7 win team last year, with, arguably, a higher ceiling this year since we all expected better QB play and better defense in year 2 of the change... I think most of us expected that he would be able to "tread water" so to speak until he got his preferred type of player. We all bought into his pitch that we will play to our players strengths, and thought that, somehow, we could probably cobble together 4-5 wins this season. Naturally, no one would be overly thrilled with that season, but under the circumstances, it is would be understandable and reasonable. Next year, is a different story. That is a brutal schedule. We could be a pretty good football team next year and only be competitive in 6 games.
After last Saturday, there is the looming possibility we won't win another game and a fan base that subconsciously was saying "we might be an 8 win team next year" is now seriously considering two consecutive seasons with MAYBE 2 wins. That is a lot of patience to ask from a fan base... The frustration is further compounded, by the fact that there has naturally been some skepticism of CGCs ability as a coach. He is unquestionably a top notch recruiter with a proven track record. His track record as a head coach, however, is not as glowing (I'm trying to be nice here :) ). Unfortunately, given that there is such a small sample size to look at for CGCs career, this game has become the only basis we have for judging him as strategic and tactical coach.
Now, I can't speak for anyone else, but this week has made me concerned that he is going to need an overwhelming level of athletic superiority to win games... That makes me rather uneasy...

We were like 5 plays from being 4-9 brother.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, that exactly what I think fans should do. I think they should swallow their complaints, because it is entirely unproductive. The ONLY thing it can do is make the situation worse.

Collins is your coach for AT LEAST the next three years. You can either hamstring him in the first 3 weeks, or you can choke it back and give him the best chance to succeed.

That only works when we go 0-8 in ACC play or when the UGA game is over by half.

Program historical and embarrassing losses like Saturday deserve it.

All this coming from someone who was fully on the Geoff Collins Juice Train.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow

Well stated! I would add that this year out of all preseason predictions, 0% probably predicted we would lose to Citadel. It’s a tough pill to swallow. I expect the guys to be a lot more hungrier. Honestly the bye week falls at a good time as well. Figure out what we will be on offense, get people healthy and start marching forward.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
That only works when we go 0-8 in ACC play or when the UGA game is over by half.

Program historical and embarrassing losses like Saturday deserve it.

All this coming from someone who was fully on the Geoff Collins Juice Train.
source.gif

It either helps, or does not help.

IT DOES NOT HELP.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
I'm assuming you meant 4-8, but that logic cuts both ways. In 2015, we were only a few plays from being a 6-7 win team. We either go with the records as is or we open them all up to endless what ifs and change each season to fit our personal narratives.

I don’t disagree with that. But we aren’t talking 2015, not even sure how it’s relevant.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

You could argue that criticism of any kind at any time is unproductive to the program in general. It simply isn't realistic to ask fans to stop being fans for the supposed betterment of the program. Personally, I don't want to be part of a fan base that shrugs their shoulders after an awful loss that should have never happened.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
HC experience means very little. You know who else was a successful DC at Florida. None other than Bob Stoops. He had no HC experience when he left for Oklahoma. Richt was the OC at FSU before he took over UGA. Urban Meyer was a WR coach before getting his first stop at Bowling Green. Saban had no HC experience before getting his shot at Michigan State. The list goes on and on.

CGC certainly doesn’t look like the next Stoops, Meyer, or any other good coach at the moment. 3 years to figure it out.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
No...because he is OUR head coach. He is going to be here for the next 7 years (god willing). If you can't see the change taking place then you can become a dog fan for all I care.
I'll admit that coming into this season I was very optimistic, and saw us winning 6-7 games....maybe that was a little overzealous, but when you actually look at the roster, and realize that we have had a 2 way player on the line all year, you have to be smart enough to realize that depth, and his inherited roster is not what he is building.

Or maybe you are still being very optimistic? Let’s hope you are right though. Otherwise it’s gonna be a rough 3 year ride.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I don’t disagree with that. But we aren’t talking 2015, not even sure how it’s relevant.

How is it relevant? Simple. You posit that we were a few plays away from having a worse record last year. I reply with how we were a few plays away from being a better team during our worst recent year. It simply proves that we can always adjust hypotheticals to fit a predetermined narrative. Thus, I recommend we stick to actual records as much as possible because they are absolutes. As I stated, using the logic you used about last year cuts both ways. While we might have been a few plays away from being 4-8, we were also a few plays away from being 10-2 during the regular season.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
How is it relevant? Simple. You posit that we were a few plays away from having a worse record last year. I reply with how we were a few plays away from being a better team during our worst recent year. It simply proves that we can always adjust hypotheticals to fit a predetermined narrative. Thus, I recommend we stick to actual records as much as possible because they are absolutes. As I stated, using the logic you used about last year cuts both ways. While we might have been a few plays away from being 4-8, we were also a few plays away from being 10-2 during the regular season.

We are talking about one particular hypothetical. Not any other season. We can discuss other seasons if you want, I was responding to an OP.

Is there a particular reason we MUST talk about something almost completely off/topic?

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
if you need to assign blame than you need to find the root cause of the problem. not a symptom.

imo our glaring weakness is a lack of linemen. thats a symptom. why did that happen? previous regime left the cupboard bare /injuries/defection. why did this happen? i think its a given that cpj asked repeatedly for a larger recruiting budget and staff. so the blame doesnt rest with him.

we are getting the product we as fans DESERVE. imo

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I take back my agreement. lol. I agree with several of your points, but I think the fertile recruiting ground is a way bigger advantage than people think, though. Thus, the emphasis on tapping into it.

You think he will be able to land top 20 classes by average star rating?

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Or maybe you are still being very optimistic? Let’s hope you are right though. Otherwise it’s gonna be a rough 3 year ride.
I'm not saying he is. I'm only stating that prior head coaching experience means very little. Most head coaches do not have program running experience before getting a head coaching job.

Hjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Didn't we almost lose to Gardner Webb in 2008 (just pulled it out at the end) but we went on to beat UGA that year. In the GW game we had a quarterback not suited to running the TO. We scored, I believe, 10 points. I think we had posts just like these back then with a coach who had a stellar record as a head coach. The Citadel game is the worst loss in our history IMO. The offense is a mess and the defense looked like it had never seen the TO. But, geez, are we getting a little fatalistic. We lost to Furman in 1983 and we still have a program in 2019 and won some championships and bowl games in the interim. Just saying.