Has Georgia Tech Football entered the Bill Lewis Era part II?

Is Geoff Collins the next Bill Lewis

• Yes

Votes: 70 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 226 76.4%

• Total voters

slugboy

Staff member
FSU is consistently ranked near the top in recruiting, look how that has turned out.

Two of the teams that underperform their recruiting the most are FSU and Miami. FSU so badly underperformed last year that you’d almost call them an outlier.
FSU has talent; they neglected their line(s) before Taggart got there. Jimbo fled town and left Taggart holding the bag.
The lesson I would pull from FSU isn’t “recruiting isn’t important”, it’s “average stars aren’t nearly as important as recruiting for need”
LSU looks great this year, and I don’t think Orgeron is a schematic advantage coach.
Even so, the value of good recruiting outweighs a lot of other factors, and it’s hard to compete in a NY6 game or at the top of your conference without decent or better recruiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
As a long suffering Tech fan, I desperately want this staff to succeed. I will continue to attend games. I will continue to contribute. I will try not to throw players under the bus. :oops:

But will ask questions this morning. Did South Carolina beat uGag with a less talented team? If yes, then did coaching make a difference? If yes, then shouldn't we hold our coaches accountable and not make excuses for them?

Cam

Helluva Engineer
One that doesn't try to fit square pegs in round holes
I don't understand why you keep saying this. It doesn't make any practical sense. This roster was assembled to run one offense: the flexbone option. That's your square hole. There's no other place the square peg will fit. Do you actually think that we should be running option with 3 passes/game in order to maximize our wins this year? If so, do you legitimately not see how this would be a detriment to recruiting and the development of our players for the future? It'd be asinine to run anything but Coach Pat's system from a development, production, and branding/recruiting standpoint. It's a tough pill to swallow, but the players we need to recruit for our new offensive system would rather see us go 2-10 this year with a 50/50 run/pass ratio than go 6-6 with the flexbone.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I don't understand why you keep saying this. It doesn't make any practical sense. This roster was assembled to run one offense: the flexbone option. That's your square hole. There's no other place the square peg will fit. Do you actually think that we should be running option with 3 passes/game in order to maximize our wins this year? If so, do you legitimately not see how this would be a detriment to recruiting and the development of our players for the future? It'd be asinine to run anything but Coach Pat's system from a development, production, and branding/recruiting standpoint. It's a tough pill to swallow, but the players we need to recruit for our new offensive system would rather see us go 2-10 this year with a 50/50 run/pass ratio than go 6-6 with the flexbone.
You can renovate your house 1 room at a time or demolish it & rebuild it entirely. CGC made a choice and choices have consequences. Time will tell if his path is better.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Agreed, and there is no way we could even go 6-6 trying to run the old offense. I think PJ himself would have had to work miracles to go 6-6 this year and he is a maestro of that offense. 4 wins tops this year if we tried to run a watered down, second rate version of his offense. And our players would lose a year of development and start at square zero next year. Its an unrealistic suggestion.

Animal02

Banned
You scheme around the players you have, not the one you wish you had. That is the mark of a good coach....which we apparently do not have.

Animal02

Banned
Agreed, and there is no way we could even go 6-6 trying to run the old offense. I think PJ himself would have had to work miracles to go 6-6 this year and he is a maestro of that offense. 4 wins tops this year if we tried to run a watered down, second rate version of his offense. And our players would lose a year of development and start at square zero next year. Its an unrealistic suggestion.
Bull. It is comical how the apologists keep have to denegrate the past to prop up their failure of a new coach.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
You can renovate your house 1 room at a time or demolish it & rebuild it entirely. CGC made a choice and choices have consequences. Time will tell if his path is better.
Except if your house is a one floor 2 bed, 2 bath and you want it to be a three story home, is it easier to build floors on top of the existing foundation or demolish and rebuild? Full disclosure, I don't work in construction, but I'd imagine it's easier to just tear it down and start building your dream home immediately. Sure, you've got to live in the extended stay hotel down the road for a few months and be on some hard times in the short term, but the house will be built quicker and have a stronger foundation in the long run.

It's counterintuitive for some folks, but it's okay to have a throwaway "rebuilding" year. But it's only okay if you've got the team bought into the program as strongly as CGC has them. The players (former, current, and future) seem to all understand that this will take time and are confident that this approach is right. I usually defer to their judgement as they understand what makes a winning program more than I ever will.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Except if your house is a one floor 2 bed, 2 bath and you want it to be a three story home, is it easier to build floors on top of the existing foundation or demolish and rebuild? Full disclosure, I don't work in construction, but I'd imagine it's easier to just tear it down and start building your dream home immediately. Sure, you've got to live in the extended stay hotel down the road for a few months and be on some hard times in the short term, but the house will be built quicker and have a stronger foundation in the long run.

It's counterintuitive for some folks, but it's okay to have a throwaway "rebuilding" year. But it's only okay if you've got the team bought into the program as strongly as CGC has them. The players (former, current, and future) seem to all understand that this will take time and are confident that this approach is right. I usually defer to their judgement as they understand what makes a winning program more than I ever will.
His approach may work. I wouldn’t have transitioned as he has, but that was his choice and he owns the results. Same way as every coach before him.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
But will ask questions this morning. Did South Carolina beat uGag with a less talented team? If yes, then did coaching make a difference? If yes, then shouldn't we hold our coaches accountable and not make excuses for them?

Both of those coaches have NEVER shown that they are great, or even good game coaches. The game was ugly in all aspects. Neirher coach played to win that game.

If uga gives us 4 turnovers and they dont score 21 pts in regulation, we will beat them.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Fans are all the same. We are no different. What we think means nothing. Collins is smart enough not to care one flip what any fan thinks. Everyone with any knowledge knows what is going on. We have very little along the offensive and defensive lines, hence we probably won’t win another game. Whose fault is it that our best Olineman transferred and our best DLineman died? And then our next best is out for the year. Collins is recruiting his butt off and that is the name of the game. Until we get an offensive line that can block and a defensive line that won’t give the opposing QB five seconds to torch the DB’s we won’t win a game. That’s not Collins fault.

I like our DB’s but they can’t cover for 6 seconds every play. I like our QB and WR’s but our QB is getting crushed within 2 seconds of getting the snap. Knight is going to be a beast at LB. Collins will get us players and no one will care about 2019 when he does.