Has Georgia Tech Football entered the Bill Lewis Era part II?

Is Geoff Collins the next Bill Lewis

• Yes

Votes: 70 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 226 76.4%

• Total voters

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
I have two problems with the contract.
Year 5, we win the National Championship and we have to triple it.
Or,
Year 5, we’re still stuck in the ruts. And we never get out of this hole.
If it was a 5 year contract and we are still stuck in this rut, he never coaches year 5. No coach ever coaches the final year of his contract. They are either extended on fired. It would kill recruiting for a coach to be seen as a lame duck with out a multi-year contract.

CGC deal needed to be 7 years. Realistically if you didn't know this year was going to be rough you were delusional. 4 wins with our roster and a offensive change was the ceiling for our team in the 1st year. Year 2 isn't going to be much better. Year 3 is the first year that we should expect a positive season with a bowl game. That is the reality and it would be the reality with any coach in the county, imho.

With a 5 year deal, we would be extending him anyway after year 3 to sure up recruiting in year 4.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Results-wise? Maybe

Style-wise? No way

The results remain to be seen, but if the Citadel is any indication, God help us. We will always need great game coaching, no matter how incrementally better the recruiting becomes. The only way this is not true is if we can recruit in the top 10. Anything less than top 10 will require coaching acumen to win against the most important opponents.

Animal02

Banned
If it was a 5 year contract and we are still stuck in this rut, he never coaches year 5. No coach ever coaches the final year of his contract. They are either extended on fired. It would kill recruiting for a coach to be seen as a lame duck with out a multi-year contract.

CGC deal needed to be 7 years. Realistically if you didn't know this year was going to be rough you were delusional. 4 wins with our roster and a offensive change was the ceiling for our team in the 1st year. Year 2 isn't going to be much better. Year 3 is the first year that we should expect a positive season with a bowl game. That is the reality and it would be the reality with any coach in the county, imho.

With a 5 year deal, we would be extending him anyway after year 3 to sure up recruiting in year 4.
Bull. There was absolutely no up side to a seven year deal. He proves a winner you extend the contract. He craps the bed, you cut loose after three and you pay out two. Now, if he craps the bed, you pay out four or continue to crap the bed until you can afford the buyout

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
You scheme around the players you have, not the one you wish you had. That is the mark of a good coach....which we apparently do not have.
We have no ida yet if we have a good coach or not.....never mind that you have jumped to that conclusions already. But if your players aren't very good at blocking and tackling, shot of running the 3O for another year for two I am not sure the new staff had many options....

Only time will tell about this group...but goodness this site has become very toxic very quickly.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Bull. There was absolutely no up side to a seven year deal. He proves a winner you extend the contract. He craps the bed, you cut loose after three and you pay out two. Now, if he craps the bed, you pay out four or continue to crap the bed until you can afford the buyout
I am not sure any decent coach would have come here without a long term deal....most intelligent coaches understood the transition was going to be ugly.

You maybe could have gotten, oh, I dunno...Les Miles or Bobby Petrino for shorter term deals....nobody with any creds, though

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am really curious as to why we are not comparing Collins to Bobby Ross. Of course, there are differences, just as there are with Collins and Lewis...but

Lewis took over a team that was 8-5 and played in a bowl game the previous year and went 5-6

Ross took over a team that had gone 5-5-1 the previous year and went 2-9, winless in the ACC and winless against "Power 5" opponents. (He did beat The Citadel)

How is it that our football geniuses on this site already can see that this is he reincarnation of Bill Lewis and not the reincarnation of Bobby Ross? I clearly need to learn more to be able to see the difference, so educate me....or is everything based on one poor game against The Citadel?

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
Bobby Ross had a strong history at Maryland of winning in the ACC. We were very fortunate to get him.

Not saying Collins won’t be successful at some point, but there is no escaping this year is disappointing that we aren’t even competitive. I really hope that changes this Saturday and will be at the next home game to cheer on the Jackets as always.

TStan has stated many times that he gave CGC a 7 year contract because he recognizes it will take time to transition. Wins wont even begin to be judged until year 3. CGC is here for 5, minimum.​
And I am saying that we don't have that long. I don't care what TStan has said, if we have to wait for 7 years then there won't be 5000 season ticket holders, and probably not even that many. The fans WILL NOT WAIT. What really gets me about all the "biggest, toughest transition ever" BS, is that SMU got the death penalty and had to start over from zero, taking 20 years to do so. We are nowhere near starting over from zero, nor should it take 7 years to do so. In spite of a more difficult schedule in 2020, we should at least be competitive in every game next year, and yet, based on what I have seen thus far this season, we may not be competitive in any of them; I certainly have seen no reason to think otherwise.

I am really curious as to why we are not comparing Collins to Bobby Ross. Of course, there are differences, just as there are with Collins and Lewis...but

Lewis took over a team that was 8-5 and played in a bowl game the previous year and went 5-6

Ross took over a team that had gone 5-5-1 the previous year and went 2-9, winless in the ACC and winless against "Power 5" opponents. (He did beat The Citadel)

How is it that our football geniuses on this site already can see that this is he reincarnation of Bill Lewis and not the reincarnation of Bobby Ross? I clearly need to learn more to be able to see the difference, so educate me....or is everything based on one poor game against The Citadel?
You have some valid points that I considered before posting my lengthy post earlier. But Ross had credentials, and neither Curry nor Collins did/does. Plus Curry and Collins share far more personality traits than do Ross and Collins. So for me the Curry comparison is much more valid than the Ross comparison.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
And I am saying that we don't have that long. I don't care what TStan has said, if we have to wait for 7 years then there won't be 5000 season ticket holders, and probably not even that many. The fans WILL NOT WAIT. What really gets me about all the "biggest, toughest transition ever" BS, is that SMU got the death penalty and had to start over from zero, taking 20 years to do so. We are nowhere near starting over from zero, nor should it take 7 years to do so. In spite of a more difficult schedule in 2020, we should at least be competitive in every game next year, and yet, based on what I have seen thus far this season, we may not be competitive in any of them; I certainly have seen no reason to think otherwise.

Of course we wouldnt wait the full 7 if things are still bad. I dont have reason to believe we wont win some next year, though. Year 3 will tell us a lot, but every coach deserves time to get his players. Otherwise, nobody will want this job, believe me. Just think we need to take deep breaths here. We are a young, young, young team and our play thus far is not what it is always going to be. These guys will improve, no question.

I expect better out of you, Super. Come on, man. I used to visit this board a lot for discussion, but it seems that this is all it has devolved to. Poop emojis.

Paul Johnson said before that he abandoned "modernizing" his offense because when he tried with Vad Lee we were running a half-assed passing attack and a half-assed option attack, resulting in a half-assed offense. He went back to sticking with what he knew because that's how he was going to get the best product. If Coach Pat is going to try calling his offense like Johnson, it's going to result in a similar or worse product (unless Pat can coach/call the option as well as Johnson), recruits will be deterred by our lack of passing (they've mentioned it's something they're watching for), and the current players will come out of it completely unprepared for next season's scheme. The smart move is to just let the guy run run what he knows and let the coaches mold the players into the round pegs we need. It'll hurt in the short term, but it's the only way to transition quickly and effectively. Unless you want to prolong the rough years, of course.
I posted those emojis simply because I thought your post deserved them, and I think this one does too. There are FAR FAR MORE ways to utilize the talents of the players you have, who are used to the TO offense, than by just keeping that offense till you get other players. A half-way decent OC would for the time being run some kind of spread attack, in which runners were put in position to gain yards, either out of option plays (NOT triple option plays), tosses, all kinds of standard running plays that spread teams use. I don't know enough of the technicalities of football to even begin to post coherent knowledgeable thoughts here, but I KNOW there are ways to make the transition using the strengths of the players on hand better than what P'nut (and by association, Collins) is doing. Ralph Fridgen is obviously not available, but I am 100% of the opinion that he could take this team that we have today and (assuming we could find a decent defense) win 6 games, and certainly present more of a competitive front than we have done thus far.

Of course we wouldnt wait the full 7 if things are still bad. I dont have reason to believe we wont win some next year, though. Year 3 will tell us a lot, but every coach deserves time to get his players. Otherwise, nobody will want this job, believe me. Just think we need to take deep breaths here.
And what I am saying is in today's world of college football, we cannot afford to wait even 3 years, or we might as well just hang it all up. I'm not saying that's the way it should be, but it IS the way it is.