Has Georgia Tech Football entered the Bill Lewis Era part II?

Is Geoff Collins the next Bill Lewis

• Yes

Votes: 70 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 226 76.4%

• Total voters

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Bill Lewis took over a 8-5 Georgia Tech team that won the Aloha Bowl over Stanford. Geoff Collins took over a 7-6 Georgia Tech team that lost the Quick Lane Bowl to Minnesota.

Bill Lewis won 11 games over his three years (first Year 5-6, Second Year 5-6, Third Year 1-7 until fired). CGC Collins has only won 1 game and has lost to a 0-2 FCS team (Citadel)on his record. We are losing because our defense gets destroyed. Everyone understands the scheme change on offense. But our defense should not be that much worse than the Citadel, Temple, UNC or Duke offenses.

Has Georgia Tech entered the Bill Lewis Era part II?

You obviously know nothing about the history of Tech football,which is obvious from this post and others.

Bill Lewis lost the locker room. Collins has not.

You say the defense should not be that much worse, but have you considered that we lost 9 starters from a defense that was not that deep and not that good?

The cupboard is bare at critical positions. That's not Collins' fault. Lewis on the other hand inherited talent, and not a program that had FCS level talent at many positions.

Scubapro

Banned
You obviously know nothing about the history of Tech football,which is obvious from this post and others.

You say the defense should not be that much worse, but have you considered that we lost 9 starters from a defense that was not that deep and not that good?

The cupboard is bare at critical positions. That's not Collins' fault. Lewis on the other hand inherited talent, and not a program that had FCS level talent at many positions.
Are you in the locker room? If he hasn't lost it yet he will when he doesn't win another game.
Everything was rosy with Billy boy...just a few plays away. Except now we are just a few quarters away

Animal02

Banned

Throw the players under the bus seems to be the standard excuse now.
The Citadel makes that excuse look silly.

Last edited:

GTFLETCH

Banned

For someone who was there for all 3 years of the Bill Lewis years...I can tell you this looks very similar....FWIW after these first 2 years, Coach Collins will have to go on a program historic run to get back to what the past 10 years produced.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Bill Lewis took over a team with a Senior Shawn Jones at QB and couldn't win. Then had declining results.

CGC took over a team with no returning starting QB, no returning WR with a career TD catch, lost arguably the best player on each line, etc. etc. Then, injuries to key personnel. While transitioning from a very different system.

This year was always going to suck. It has sucked worse at times than I thought going in. But this judgement can't be made until at least year 2. If we lose out this year and don't show major improvement next year, then it'll be time to question the hire.

It's fair to critique some of the coaching decisions thus far. But IMHO, every time we've seen their other option it's been just as bad, if not worse. Lot of folks criticized running with TO against Clemson and wanted to see LJ pass... then we saw that and it was ugly. Maybe we should have played JG earlier, but maybe he wasn't ready. With this roster, and the injuries, I don't think any coach could do much better. The O-line situation this year is worse than 2015. Even CPJ couldn't win that year, with an experienced JeT at QB.

Animal02

Banned
We ran thru 10 years of people publicly hating/disparaging the coach & dividing the fanbase/ damaging our program. Maybe we can focus on things we can do so we can climb out of the ditch?
And then we hired a new HC who essentially did the same thing with his passive aggressive behavior along with the "hope and change". He is getting what he deserves right now.

Scubapro

Banned
We ran thru 10 years of people publicly hating/disparaging the coach & dividing the fanbase/ damaging our program. Maybe we can focus on things we can do so we can climb out of the ditch?
Maybe...but putting your hands over your eyes and ignoring crummy coaching wont help either.
Look . I hope coach brings in a boat load of 4* and 5* players . but if he cant show some semblance of improvement with what we have then he wont do any better with great recruits.
On another note...we have never EVER had vastly superior athletes aka Bama, LSU, Penn State. So if we have to wait for these great athletes to show up to win...well...you might wanna go watch Cricket or something.

Last edited:

GTFLETCH

Banned
Bill Lewis took over a team with a Senior Shawn Jones at QB and couldn't win. Then had declining results.

CGC took over a team with no returning starting QB, no returning WR with a career TD catch, lost arguably the best player on each line, etc. etc. Then, injuries to key personnel. While transitioning from a very different system.

This year was always going to suck. It has sucked worse at times than I thought going in. But this judgement can't be made until at least year 2. If we lose out this year and don't show major improvement next year, then it'll be time to question the hire.

It's fair to critique some of the coaching decisions thus far. But IMHO, every time we've seen their other option it's been just as bad, if not worse. Lot of folks criticized running with TO against Clemson and wanted to see LJ pass... then we saw that and it was ugly. Maybe we should have played JG earlier, but maybe he wasn't ready. With this roster, and the injuries, I don't think any coach could do much better. The O-line situation this year is worse than 2015. Even CPJ couldn't win that year, with an experienced JeT at QB.
Everyone understands the scheme change on offense. But our defense should not be that much worse than the Citadel, Temple, UNC or Duke offenses.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
And then we hired a new HC who essentially did the same thing with his passive aggressive behavior along with the "hope and change". He is getting what he deserves right now.

Lol “getting what he deserves” ... we get that you don’t like CGC. I understand concerns and questions, but i don’t understand how a Tech Fan could have it out for the guy the way you do at this point in his tenure.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Everyone understands the scheme change on offense. But our defense should not be that much worse than the Citadel, Temple, UNC or Duke offenses.
So what was it the past 8-9 years? We did a better job hiding our deficiencies, but make no mistake: our defense has been this bad or worse for a long time. This isn't news to any neutral observer. We've had 1 unexpected loss this year. Grow up.

slugboy

Staff member
I was around during the Bill Lewis era, and roomed with a player for the summer. Their personalities are night and day different. The only thing they have in common is losing games.

The idea that the perpetually uncomfortable in front of a camera Lewis was a hype machine outgoing salesman is laughable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
So what was it the past 8-9 years? We did a better job hiding our deficiencies, but make no mistake: our defense has been this bad or worse for a long time. This isn't news to any neutral observer. We've had 1 unexpected loss this year. Grow up.
Ah so you expected 2 wins up to this point? Wow aren't you setting the bar high.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

As Jacketup mentioned "we lost 9 starters from a defense that was not that deep and not that good." Not to mention being on our 3rd defensive scheme in as many years. Also, having to be on the field too much, and too often in bad field position, due to the offense struggling. Yet, we're actually statistically a little better per-play on defense. At least, no worse. If we're only as bad as last year, I don't think you can lay that at CGC's feet.

upload_2019-10-13_9-19-36.png

I'm not saying CGC is secretly Bobby Dodd reincarnate. Just, I don't think you can prejudge his tenure based on the early results. Too many extenuating circumstances.

Edit: You are correct: "our defense should not be that much worse than the Citadel, Temple, UNC or Duke offenses." But it has been for a while now.

Animal02

Banned
Maybe...but putting your hands over your eyes and ignoring crummy coaching wont help either.
Look . I hope coach brings in a boat load of 4* and 5* players . but if he cant show some semblance of improvement with what we have then he wont do any better with great recruits.
On another note...we have never EVER had vastly superior athletes aka Bama, LSU, Penn State. So if we have to wait for these great athletes to show up to win...well...you might wanna go watch Cricket or something.
FSU is consistently ranked near the top in recruiting, look how that has turned out.