Has fan apathy already set in?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Well, I’m not happy about our team/coach performance but I’m just as concerned about the effects of the transfer portal and the new California law which will surely snowball. I’m having difficulty seeing a path to relevancy any time within the next several years, if ever.

It seems like the only thing we have going for us is that we are in the lowly Coastal. At least we aren’t Vandy. [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
I've read all the posts... For what it's worth, my opinions may or may not reflect any segment of the fan base, but I'm not sure. Apathetic? Not yet, but not as fired-up as in more recent seasons. Some personal reflections looking back at my 45-plus years as a Tech fan:

1. Back in grade school, Tech football was in the Top 5 most important things in life, if not the Top 3. In high school it was the #1 most important thing during football season and ranked #2 for the rest of the year, behind one of my several hobbies. Now, as an adult, Tech is down to about #10 on the list of priorities, if that high. It's just how life turns out for many people. Perhaps a lot of fans/potential fans are in that same boat.

2. I'm over 50 and have a child under 10 years of age. We also live a day's drive away from Atlanta and are now thinking about moving farther away, to a place where college football isn't as big a deal as it is here. Prior to having our son, we went to an average of a game a year... some years 2 games, other years no games. We'll probably be making the trek to Atlanta less, as we have fewer personal connections left in the city. We have to find additional reasons to come, like going to the aquarium or Stone Mountain in addition to a game.

3. I loved the X's and O's aspect of CPJ's offense a whole lot. I'm about equally right and left- brained, so I love the artistry as much as the analytical side of a sport , whether it's football or hockey. Honestly, even having played football, I didn't understand that much how an offense worked until Coach Johnson came to the Flats. Many of the posters on this board educated me for essentially the first time on how football works, analyzing the option offense and comparing it to other types of offenses. Once you understand the game from a technical standpoint, it becomes that much more enjoyable to watch. That was the best thing about this board. CPJ seemed like a really good fit for the fan base at the time, and many of us old-timers liked his old-school quality a great deal. I had a couple football coaches just like him! CGC hugging his players at the tunnel entrance after the Clemson loss didn't appeal to me, but it might appeal to today's kids. I don't know. It doesn't matter to me if the style of the game is different, but it is a lot more fun and worth the travel/lodging expenses when Tech is doing well.

4. I quit watching the NFL a number of years ago and don't like where college football is heading. It's going to be like the NFL before long. How long will fans be able to pay for premium tickets? I remember us once paying about six dollars for a ticket and sitting out on those aluminum benches in the West stands. It was great just being there. The whole push for executive suites and a luxury fan experience (like you have in pro sports)... I don't like that trend at all. Coaches are wealthier than a lot of European royalty, and everyone is trying to have the best and most expensive locker room and facilities. This upward spending trend can't be sustained, and someone has to pay for it. The mindset behind this is a lot like an NFL team demolishing a perfectly satisfactory stadium because they want something with better optics. If I were a kid again and had the physical "goods", I would have come to Tech and played with Pepper's old training facilities (I remember seeing the insides of those!). I'm not asking kids today to accept that, but the constant push for ever-better and more expensive has to have a stop somewhere.

5. Beating UGA. As a Tech fan, this is of great importance. We don't do if often, but 3 times in a coaching tenure is a lot better than zero in a coaching tenure. I'm not sure we'll see another Tech victory over UGA until Kirby retires, or is fired for not winning a national championship. I'm not sure CGC can get it done. Some younger fans may not care about this, but it's part of what makes Tech football fun!

The above was not meant as a rant, but merely some calm personal reflections from one fan whose views may or may not reflect a segment of the fan base.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Watch out....there is a particular mod on the loose deleting all non positive posts.

This thread is “unnecessary” and “not beneficial and only stirs the pot of controversy”.

Must delete whole thread now. Only happy thoughts please!!!!!!!! I mean...we are headed for greatness all should see that or be silent! :ROFLMAO:

Deleted posts are why they are shorter lol.

I haven't read past the first page in this thread, but I wanted to reply to this post.

Check out the "Reasons to be Optimistic" thread. I literally had a post deleted in which I said I agreed with CGC about our reasons to be optimistic regarding our juice crew etc. Apparently somebody who doesn't like our coach enough to actually watch his press conferences reported my post as mocking him. And apparently the moderators didn't even bother to check because they deleted the post. So, I posted his comments word for word as well as the video.

What kind of forum moderation deletes a post for agreeing with the head coach and paraphrasing what he said?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
45k was the number they said and I think they were pretty close. Those saying 35,000, there was 38,000 last years homecoming against UVA, one look at the stands comparing those two games shows there were easily more then 35,000.
First I don't think we had 38,000 at homecoming last year . But the north stands hold 15,000 50 % which was empty. The South stands hold 5800 maybe 80% yesterday . so together the west and east stands hold 34200 . I seat in the west looking and the east stand maybe 80 % I can't tell about the west cause I can't see the upper west sitting in the lower west. 45 k is the tickets sold I'm in a section with season ticket holders which a good 15% was not there so people spread out more and it may make it look full which it is not. It was a late crowd 30 minutes before the game it look like we would be lucky to have 20k but no way could I say we had over 40k and imo less. Don't go by last year you are right there was not 38k in the stands last year at homecoming
I buy 3 season tickets but only use 2 so I have more room

First I don't think we had 38,000 at homecoming last year . But the north stands hold 15,000 50 % which was empty. The South stands hold 5800 maybe 80% yesterday . so together the west and east stands hold 34200 . I seat in the west looking and the east stand maybe 80 % I can't tell about the west cause I can't see the upper west sitting in the lower west. 45 k is the tickets sold I'm in a section with season ticket holders which a good 15% was not there so people spread out more and it may make it look full which it is not. It was a late crowd 30 minutes before the game it look like we would be lucky to have 20k but no way could I say we had over 40k and imo less. Don't go by last year you are right there was not 38k in the stands last year at homecoming
I buy 3 season tickets but only use 2 so I have more room
From the upper east, the west (lower and upper) appeared to be about 80% full.

what are "ticket fees" ?
Ticket fees are the REQUIRED donation to the AT fund for purchasing season tickets in certain "priority" sections. Not all of the upper east require ticket fees, and none of the upper north do. I don't know about other sections, but I'm pretty sure the majority of seats in the lower and upper west require ticket fees.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Ticket fees are the REQUIRED donation to the AT fund for purchasing season tickets in certain "priority" sections. Not all of the upper east require ticket fees, and none of the upper north do. I don't know about other sections, but I'm pretty sure the majority of seats in the lower and upper west require ticket fees.
I think now all the lower West do not sure about upper

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I haven't read past the first page in this thread, but I wanted to reply to this post.

Check out the "Reasons to be Optimistic" thread. I literally had a post deleted in which I said I agreed with CGC about our reasons to be optimistic regarding our juice crew etc. Apparently somebody who doesn't like our coach enough to actually watch his press conferences reported my post as mocking him. And apparently the moderators didn't even bother to check because they deleted the post. So, I posted his comments word for word as well as the video.

What kind of forum moderation deletes a post for agreeing with the head coach and paraphrasing what he said?
I’ve never reported a post, but I thought it was clearly sarcasm fwiw. Either that or just trying to stir the pot. Juice crew is definitely a wedge issue on this board.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Watch out....there is a particular mod on the loose deleting all non positive posts.

This thread is “unnecessary” and “not beneficial and only stirs the pot of controversy”.

Must delete whole thread now. Only happy thoughts please!!!!!!!! I mean...we are headed for greatness all should see that or be silent! :ROFLMAO:

Deleted posts are why they are shorter lol.
RIP Whiskey, ps, send me a Pm once you create a new account, just so I know it’s you,

buzzmaniac

Georgia Tech Fan
I've read all the posts... For what it's worth, my opinions may or may not reflect any segment of the fan base, but I'm not sure. Apathetic? Not yet, but not as fired-up as in more recent seasons. Some personal reflections looking back at my 45-plus years as a Tech fan:

1. Back in grade school, Tech football was in the Top 5 most important things in life, if not the Top 3. In high school it was the #1 most important thing during football season and ranked #2 for the rest of the year, behind one of my several hobbies. Now, as an adult, Tech is down to about #10 on the list of priorities, if that high. It's just how life turns out for many people. Perhaps a lot of fans/potential fans are in that same boat.

2. I'm over 50 and have a child under 10 years of age. We also live a day's drive away from Atlanta and are now thinking about moving farther away, to a place where college football isn't as big a deal as it is here. Prior to having our son, we went to an average of a game a year... some years 2 games, other years no games. We'll probably be making the trek to Atlanta less, as we have fewer personal connections left in the city. We have to find additional reasons to come, like going to the aquarium or Stone Mountain in addition to a game.

3. I loved the X's and O's aspect of CPJ's offense a whole lot. I'm about equally right and left- brained, so I love the artistry as much as the analytical side of a sport , whether it's football or hockey. Honestly, even having played football, I didn't understand that much how an offense worked until Coach Johnson came to the Flats. Many of the posters on this board educated me for essentially the first time on how football works, analyzing the option offense and comparing it to other types of offenses. Once you understand the game from a technical standpoint, it becomes that much more enjoyable to watch. That was the best thing about this board. CPJ seemed like a really good fit for the fan base at the time, and many of us old-timers liked his old-school quality a great deal. I had a couple football coaches just like him! CGC hugging his players at the tunnel entrance after the Clemson loss didn't appeal to me, but it might appeal to today's kids. I don't know. It doesn't matter to me if the style of the game is different, but it is a lot more fun and worth the travel/lodging expenses when Tech is doing well.

4. I quit watching the NFL a number of years ago and don't like where college football is heading. It's going to be like the NFL before long. How long will fans be able to pay for premium tickets? I remember us once paying about six dollars for a ticket and sitting out on those aluminum benches in the West stands. It was great just being there. The whole push for executive suites and a luxury fan experience (like you have in pro sports)... I don't like that trend at all. Coaches are wealthier than a lot of European royalty, and everyone is trying to have the best and most expensive locker room and facilities. This upward spending trend can't be sustained, and someone has to pay for it. The mindset behind this is a lot like an NFL team demolishing a perfectly satisfactory stadium because they want something with better optics. If I were a kid again and had the physical "goods", I would have come to Tech and played with Pepper's old training facilities (I remember seeing the insides of those!). I'm not asking kids today to accept that, but the constant push for ever-better and more expensive has to have a stop somewhere.

5. Beating UGA. As a Tech fan, this is of great importance. We don't do if often, but 3 times in a coaching tenure is a lot better than zero in a coaching tenure. I'm not sure we'll see another Tech victory over UGA until Kirby retires, or is fired for not winning a national championship. I'm not sure CGC can get it done. Some younger fans may not care about this, but it's part of what makes Tech football fun!

The above was not meant as a rant, but merely some calm personal reflections from one fan whose views may or may not reflect a segment of the fan base.
I can relate to your post in many respects, especially 3 & 4. From 1965 thru 2013, never missed a home game....just a loyal sidewalk fan. I counted the games up once....well over 300 straight games. Anyway, health issues hit me about the same time as I retired just north of Blue Ridge. I continue to watch the games....all of them. But I got to tell you, I'm still shaking my head about the Citadel game.

slugboy

Staff member
I understand. But, other schools make you feel special ... like a loyal customer. Other than my seat, I’d do better with a StingerPass or StubHub. One site includes Tech games as part of a monthly fee.

I haven’t compared against other schools, not that it matters. Some stuff has always been kind of weird to me, even though I went to school at Tech, like extra money for seat backs. The first time I bought season tickets, I thought “I’m paying extra so someone doesn’t crowd me out of my seat?”
And, I needed to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk