Has fan apathy already set in?

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
That may have been the paid attendance. The stadium was half empty. It’s to the point where the norm in the east stands, let alone the north deck and student section, are a bunch of people dressed up as empty seats.
It’s been that way for my whole life. 45k is the ceiling for Tech unless we are playing a. Top 15ish ranked team or b. A SEC fan base that buys a bunch of tickets.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes it is just better to type nothing
Back in August, I hoped for 5-6 wins this season. I insisted that we'd win no less than 4. However, outside of the Citadel meltdown (unacceptable regardless of circumstances), I am not terribly shocked or disappointed at what we are seeing, especially considering the OL attrition.

I am shocked that many Tech fans can't see or accept the reality that our roster was not going to cut it this year from a talent perspective. Sure, we could have squeezed out 6-7 wins running the 3O this year... We know you can take even G5 talent and make a bowl in the ACC Coastal. Or let a freak athlete like Tobias run the ball at QB 25-30 times a game and win 6-7 games that way. But in a transition to a non-3O option, that's not going to happen. Every objective knowledgeable football analyst, coach, fan, etc. in America understood that going into the season. I am not a CGC apologist (he's made a ton of mistakes, and I do have concerns), unless we hired Monken or some other 3O Coach, this was what we were going to get. For any spread/non-3O coach, our roster was a mess. No size or depth up front. Tons of injuries. And no experienced or even true passing QB. What on earth do you expect?

Beating The Citadel?

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
people are just pushing their own agenda and this board hasn't had much worthwhile discussion lately. I still check in everyday but i realize quickly there's no point adding my input.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
It’s been that way for my whole life. 45k is the ceiling for Tech unless we are playing a. Top 15ish ranked team or b. A SEC fan base that buys a bunch of tickets.
Maybe. I guess I remember the east stands being well populated after I graduated in 2004. No one’s there anymore.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
As a first time season ticket holder I was less than impressed. We spend way more money on tickets than just buying them individually. We say up front we want tickets to the home games. And we get nothing "special"

This is what I’m talking about. In addition to tickets, I make AT donations. In return, I get ... zero.

Two very toxic UNC fans sat in front of me, probably getting theirs off StuBHub. And in the eyes of the AA, we’re the same. Even though my value to Tech is 20x higher per year.

I really don’t think the AA thinks much of STH’ers. I think their focus is suites.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
The AA destroyed the student section. It was great when I attended ...
I accept that the TV experience is really good now. And I don’t blame people who stay away in September when it’s hot as hell. But that wasn’t the case yesterday, and it wasn’t a nooner. I don’t know what the issue is anymore except that our fans simply don’t care, which would suggest apathy.

slugboy

Staff member
Thank you. I agree.

I buy concessions every game. And every time I ask, “Do you offer season ticket holders the discount TStan told us about?”

“No. We don’t provide any discounts. Sorry.”

No special lines for STH. No tee shirts. No programs. No discounts. Nothing.

My SEC friends have closets full of stuff. I mean honestly ... there’s always StubHub.

As far as I know, we’ve always been that way on season tickets. The perks listed at https://ramblinwreck.com/footballtickets/ seem pretty much the same as they’ve always been.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I accept that the TV experience is really good now. And I don’t blame people who stay away in September when it’s hot as hell. But that wasn’t the case yesterday, and it wasn’t a nooner. I don’t know what the issue is anymore except that our fans simply don’t care, which would suggest apathy.

We are becoming Vanderbilt.

If you don’t have a great suburban location with a ton of alumni within 10 miles, quality of opponent drives attendance. (See NCAA Reports).

When I was in school, Tennessee, Auburn, and Alabama were sellouts. 60K.

We replaced those with Gardner Webb, Alcorn State, and Lower Slobodia U.

We had a decent crowd at BDS yesterday. Not great, but decent. For some reason, it seems that half of the fanbase thinks a 4pm game means you head over to the stadium at 4. But that’s typical GT fanbase behavior and has nothing to do with apathy for this season. Judging simply from the crowd at the game yesterday, I would not say that fan apathy has set in. BDS was pretty lit later in the 3rd qtr and early 4th qtr. Yellow Jacket Alley pregame was just as good if not better than the USF game.

As far as the virtual fanbase on this board, if people are tired of venting their frustrations with losing on every thread, then that’s fine with me.
I was actually surprised at the turnout yesterday. It was much larger than I had anticipated. I sit in the upper east, and although my section was not full, when they showed the north end of the upper east while introducing various people on the field, that section looked packed.

Thank you. I agree.

I buy concessions every game. And every time I ask, “Do you offer season ticket holders the discount TStan told us about?”

“No. We don’t provide any discounts. Sorry.”

No special lines for STH. No tee shirts. No programs. No discounts. Nothing.

My SEC friends have closets full of stuff. I mean honestly ... there’s always StubHub.
If they are not going to give the season-ticket-holder discount, then they need to take down the signs that say they do. The concessions in the upper east all have those discount signs up. That's false advertising.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I was actually surprised at the turnout yesterday. It was much larger than I had anticipated. I sit in the upper east, and although my section was not full, when they showed the north end of the upper east while introducing various people on the field, that section looked packed.
Agree. Upper east was as full as I’ve seen it in a long time not counting a Clemson or UGAg game. And not that many Tarheel fans outside of their section.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
We are becoming Vanderbilt.

If you don’t have a great suburban location with a ton of alumni within 10 miles, quality of opponent drives attendance. (See NCAA Reports).

When I was in school, Tennessee, Auburn, and Alabama were sellouts. 60K.

We replaced those with Gardner Webb, Alcorn State, and Lower Slobodia U.

I bet those schools would LOVE to schedule Tech with home and away series now that we no longer run the, well, you know...

Off topic, but one of the real season ticket holder “benefits” that was a true head scratcher to me occurred earlier in the year when I bought my season tickets (first year back in a LONG time, bought late, and don’t have a lot of AT Fund points) and asked about parking passes. I was given a package price which seemed really out of line considering that, for my AT Fund level at least, the service the AA was using showed the same parking lots as ParkMobile (the AA may even use ParkMobile). I went to ParkMobile’s website, looked at the same exact lot options I was given through the AA, and buying parking for all the games individually was about $50-$60 cheaper for the year than what the AA was offering. But anyway...
I got parking for the games, and although the price seems to go up and down a lot now, when I bought my passes (through SpotHero), I got them all, except for one game, for $5.00 or $8.00 per game, including the Georgia game.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I got parking for the games, and although the price seems to go up and down a lot now, when I bought my passes (through SpotHero), I got them all, except for one game, for $5.00 or $8.00 per game, including the Georgia game.

Yeah, you turned me in on to SpotHero, which is what I’ve used this year. I just found it really odd that the AA was going to charge me more for parking in the same lots that I could get through ParkMobile, when the AA uses the same service (ParkMobile)!