Has fan apathy already set in?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="LibertyTurns, post: 643815, member: 789"[What I’m having a hard time coming to grips with is how we get traction in recruiting given the current circumstances, how we keep our financial head above water with a dwindling fanbase, can we keep our patience thru 3 maybe 4 seasons of this, etc. I just didn't figure we’d have to give up a half decade to get back to where we left off.[/QUOTE]

There are plenty of 3 stars a available and we’ll get our share. Attendance will wane, but we’ll have more money from the ACCN.

The next few years will just suck.

GTFLETCH

Banned
It is starting to now with multiple people I talk to...It is only the UGA folks who are still pumped about CGC....and it is becuase we lost to DUKE....our defense got destroyed. I get the scheme change on offense. But our defense should not be that much worse than duke offense. oing to be a long 7 years or 5 whatever it is before the next coaching change... BTW We lost because our defense got destroyed. I get the scheme change on offense. But our defense should not be that much worse than say The Citadel, Temple, UNC or duke offense.

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned
It is starting to now with multiple people I talk to...It is only the UGA folks who are still pumped about CGC....and it is becuase we lost to DUKE....our defense got destroyed. I get the scheme change on offense. But our defense should not be that much worse than duke offense. oing to be a long 7 years or 5 whatever it is before the next coaching change... BTW We lost because our defense got destroyed. I get the scheme change on offense. But our defense should not be that much worse than say The Citadel, Temple, UNC or duke offense.
As with an situation, we need to analyze current state and figure out what to do next. There’s good things going on, some are going sideways & others are tanking.

I certainly don’t have reams of data to back it up but here’s what I think:
A. We have an advertising/media strategy that could be very successful if we follow thru.
B. We have recruiting at the lower edge of competitiveness & need to bolster what we have in order to compete at Top 25 level. Yes, we’ve upgraded but we need resources at no less than middle of P5 we’re trying to compete against.
C. We have unexplainable difficulties with in game management. Points toward we need to hire coaches. I equate what we got to early stages at Clemp. Need upgrades at OC, DC, Asst Head Coach, etc positions.
D. On campus gameday need serious attention. Unfortunately this we’ll need to pay upfront, take our lumps & hope the fans follow. It’s more complicated now because of “C” and our results on the filed.

I’d start with these 4 items and build from there.

Animal02

Banned
As with an situation, we need to analyze current state and figure out what to do next. There’s good things going on, some are going sideways & others are tanking.

I certainly don’t have reams of data to back it up but here’s what I think:
A. We have an advertising/media strategy that could be very successful if we follow thru.
B. We have recruiting at the lower edge of competitiveness & need to bolster what we have in order to compete at Top 25 level. Yes, we’ve upgraded but we need resources at no less than middle of P5 we’re trying to compete against.
C. We have unexplainable difficulties with in game management. Points toward we need to hire coaches. I equate what we got to early stages at Clemp. Need upgrades at OC, DC, Asst Head Coach, etc positions.
D. On campus gameday need serious attention. Unfortunately this we’ll need to pay upfront, take our lumps & hope the fans follow. It’s more complicated now because of “C” and our results on the filed.

I’d start with these 4 items and build from there.
Should have started with D, followed with A, while building on B and fixing with C.

Instead, they started with A, which ends up failing because of on field performance, which make B harder and exaggerates the issues with C, making D a futile move. ;)

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Should have started with D, followed with A, while building on B and fixing with C.

Instead, they started with A, which ends up failing because of on field performance, which make B harder and exaggerates the issues with C, making D a futile move. ;)

D is as much about us, the fans, as anything else.

Animal02

Banned
D is as much about us, the fans, as anything else.
I know...but if you have a horrid product, game day experience will not mean anything.
That really should have been the start....really beef up the experience followed by advertising to bolster it. Get more people behind the program, show a little success and then start the hype of what you can make it become.
Now, we had all the hype and nothing to show for it, it will take far more to recover from this **** show.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
If you want apathy, I’ll give you apathy ...

Tech has won 4 national championships, the last as recently as 1990.

And yet, having crawled out of the abyss of 1980-81, we are right back in it. Where has the AA been for the last 30 years? The oversight? The President?

Mismanaged, none, and disengaged.

It’s a sorry state for such an advanced university to mismanage athletics for a generation. I get not competing for a natty ... I just want to be relevant.

But it’s hard not to find fault with the decades of total mismanagement and underachievers that have led the GTAA.

I buy season tix and donate. But compared to other programs, GT fans get hosed.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
If you want apathy, I’ll give you apathy ...

Tech has won 4 national championships, the last as recently as 1990.

And yet, having crawled out of the abyss of 1980-81, we are right back in it. Where has the AA been for the last 30 years? The oversight? The President?

Mismanaged, none, and disengaged.

It’s a sorry state for such an advanced university to mismanage athletics for a generation. I get not competing for a natty ... I just want to be relevant.

But it’s hard not to find fault with the decades of total mismanagement and underachievers that have led the GTAA.

I buy season tix and donate. But compared to other programs, GT fans get hosed.
I think you win. :) Close the thread. :)

dixiejacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Apathy brought on by on court performance has rendered our basketball program a non-factor. Football is now on that path. For the first time ever, I dread the thought of going to Grant Field. Certainly will be there for the Pitt game but a Thursday night and one against UGA, not sure my season tickets will be used. For those that complain about all the red in the stadium when UGA comes to town, just wait until this years game.......

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I will be there for HC weekend to visit with fellow frat bros from the mid 60's. The game this year is secondary. This year it is difficult to get excited about the games since no one has any real expectation of winning. This is a write off year and I can only assume Collins is building for the future by playing a lot of underclassmen. The OC is determined to run an offense that is not suited to our current players. We will likely only see JG the rest of the year unless he is hurt. Obvious from Duke that Yates is now the backup.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
No long term apathy here, just temporary. The season is going down like I expected, though in my mind it was a win over Citadel and South Florida and a Temple toss-up. So I am off by one game, and that’s all I expected to win. To me it is a sad commentary of how far we have fallen and how much of a hole we have to dig ourselves out of. CPJ would have a few more wins I think but wouldn’t make it to 6 on the season.

I am optimistic about the future. I thought all the Waffle House and Juice BS silly to begin with. I didn’t have that sort of “buy in”, mine was more in the hopeful form of recruiting upgrades, young coach energy, offense revamp, media coverage, with the end game of hopeful national attention due to performance rather than being an oddity on offense.

CGC is going to grow with the team and hopefully make wiser in game decisions. I have to believe that because it doesn’t make sense not to. And we are going to improve if for no other reason than returning experienced players year over year. CGC has to have time to get his players into his system. That is why his contract is so long.

I understand the apathy, but this shoe was ALWAYS going to fall once CPJ completely changed the scheme. It was worth a try. Now we have to pay the price for a return to a mainstream offense. And get recruits’ interest.

We live in a talent rich area in THE dominant city of the southeast. The recruits are there to be had. We just needed to adopt a different offense to have a chance at attracting them and a coach that would run it. As a younger coach full of energy and charisma, CGC is they type we needed. We will see if he can do it, but my bet is yes.

It will just take some time. And that was always inevitable, unless anyone out there thought Urban Meyer was going to apply for the job.

E66910E4-40BC-43D7-B2D4-3E0AFDD13836.jpeg

slugboy

Staff member
About our attendance and how much our opponents drive our attendance, around a decade ago there was talk about moving to the Big10 and getting great attendance and a better budget from that. It hasn't worked out that way for Maryland, and it hasn't worked out for Rutgers. Ohio State just played Northwestern on a Friday night, and I often see posts about how good teams don't have to play on weeknights.

Yeah, we get better attendance with some teams like Clemson, to some degree VT, and UGA. The best way to build attendance is to have people interested in watching GT in person.

There are better teams to schedule for attendance and fan interest than USF and some of the other teams we've scheduled, and we should do a better job with scheduling, but fixing our own house should be the main job in front of us.