Has fan apathy already set in?

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I know this isn’t the end all be all way of measuring our interest or lack of interest, but it seems the Post Game threads are slowly getting shorter and shorter. Obviously an older thread probably has more replies, but if you just judge the number of pages per thread on the day they were posted you have these numbers:

UNC post game: 10 pages

Temple post game: 14 pages

The Citadel post game: 36 pages

USF Post Game: 16 pages

Clemson Post Game: 4 pages( kick off was 8pm, so this couldn’t have been posted earlier than like 10pm)

The Citadel post game thread is unique because we were in full meltdown mode, but it does seem like there is a trend of the post game threads being less and less active. Again, I realize this is not necessarily the best way to judge fan interest, but it seems interesting, nevertheless.

Personally, I am normally in a bad mood and have a hard time enjoying other games all Saturday when we lose, but the last two weeks I have pretty much completely moved on five minutes after the game. I’ll still be at Bobby Dodd and watch every game, but I’d be lying to you if I told you I feel the same way now that I did right before kickoff against Clemson at the beginning of the year.

What about you guys? Anyone worried about fan apathy or feeling a little yourself?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTENT POST WITH NUMBERS.

This board has devoled into a place very little content is presented or reasonable discussions occur.

The anti cgc agenda driven mega posters dominate.

The only penalty for posters that literally come on "bright spot " threads and post negative comments is removal of some of their posts.

How long will it be before this thread. Has 1 sentence posts from the champion 2018/19 mega poster?

My answer to your suggestion that the decline in gtswarm post game might be due to lack of fan is above.

I would love to post: what the player parents gripe about player walk up. What the guests of the 40 yd seats say about the team. My observation of t stan atcwalk up visiting w recruits and alumni , ny take on tstans reaction when I challenged him - and encouraged him.
There are so many other people with non tv and internet info that would post but dont.

This site is not reality.

Her is what I saw during Fans in stands were very down the game until we made some big plays on offense. It was bad news bears when graham couldn't get offense moving and unc qb was airing out long throws to # 2 who would dominate our db. But when we made some big gainers the stands got really energized - and stayed that way during the long tv time outs.

Talkingcw fans at varsity post game and in hotel lobby - main take away we are going to see Graham make stupid throws but are very enthusiastic about him and TO being on field together.

- dont come to the game say thread and wish good cheer.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I stopped looking at post game threads, and most threads in general because people feel the need to continue to post a 10 paragraph diatribe on why they are pro/anti-cgc or pro/anti-cpj, and it's a waste of time to read through pages of that crap to find the one nugget of relevant information on page 9 that's actually related to the original post.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
fan apathy ? :

You have to be kidding I'm electrified to watch an offense more boring than Chan Gailey's .
And I was getting a little bored with our defense but now I see a defense like we had with Roof that can give up a 1st down on 3rd and long even when the fans in the west stands stand and get load. I'm excited to know after a few more losses that when I go to the restroom it won't have long lines due to the facts others can't get excited to see our offense.
I just wish some would let us judge CGC after 5 games and not tell me to give him more time.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Watch out....there is a particular mod on the loose deleting all non positive posts.

This thread is “unnecessary” and “not beneficial and only stirs the pot of controversy”.

Must delete whole thread now. Only happy thoughts please!!!!!!!! I mean...we are headed for greatness all should see that or be silent! :ROFLMAO:

Deleted posts are why they are shorter lol.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I stopped looking at post game threads, and most threads in general because people feel the need to continue to post a 10 paragraph diatribe on why they are pro/anti-cgc or pro/anti-cpj, and it's a waste of time to read through pages of that crap to find the one nugget of relevant information on page 9 that's actually related to the original post.
But if I spend time reading them I don't have to talk to my wife;

th

I like reading . :)

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe a little bit for me. I can easily be totally disgusted by the product we are putting on the field currently and could still be bitching to the high heavens about it, but I’ve stopped focusing on that. I personally can’t change a bit of that. Instead I’m focusing on the game day experience, our tailgating, hanging out, having a great time with fellow Tech fans and friends (even supersizethatorder-mutt, lol), even meeting new ones. I still enjoy the gameday experience and wearing the GT and the gold and white.

I can’t do a thing about what is being put on the field, despite what I think about it. I’ve been GT in bad times, and will be GT whether Collins succeeds or fails. I look forward to the experience of stepping onto campus and into Bobby Dodd each time I do, so that, and seeing and being around friends is what I’m going to focus on enjoying for the foreseeable future.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Watch out....there is a particular mod on the loose deleting all non positive posts.

This thread is “unnecessary” and “not beneficial and only stirs the pot of controversy”.

Must delete whole thread now. Only happy thoughts please!!!!!!!! I mean...we are headed for greatness all should see that or be silent! :ROFLMAO:

Deleted posts are why they are shorter lol.
Yes I noticed that I guess they need to understand we are the ones buying Season tickets and giving money to Tech.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I’ll say this. There is a huge demand on my time, both personally and professionally. I’ve got a two year old and a two month old at home and I have incredibly high demands on my time at work...often over the weekends. It is my choice to spend my Saturdays going to Tech games, and I’ve been to every one but maybe two for the last twenty years.

With all of this in mind, when I was watching our offense in the first half yesterday I questioned why I was spending my entire Saturday doing something that fell well short of enjoyment. I love Tech football, but what we’ve looked like on offense for most of the year is an absolute dumpster fire. There are plenty of other things that I could be doing that would make me happier than sitting through that watching a team that has little chance to win and had shown almost no improvement through 4.5 games.

That said, I was on my way out of the stadium in the fourth quarter and stopped in the stairway to watch one more offensive drive. We drove down the field and scored in something like four plays. So I went back to the stands. Then the defense fell apart completely and we stalled on offense so I took off.

In short, it’s hard to get excited right now, but I saw some glimmers of hope in the second half. If we can build on that fans will be ok, if not attendance will start to dwindle, and the Saturday after Thanksgiving will look even more red than it usually does.

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
I know this isn’t the end all be all way of measuring our interest or lack of interest, but it seems the Post Game threads are slowly getting shorter and shorter. Obviously an older thread probably has more replies, but if you just judge the number of pages per thread on the day they were posted you have these numbers:

UNC post game: 10 pages

Temple post game: 14 pages

The Citadel post game: 36 pages

USF Post Game: 16 pages

Clemson Post Game: 4 pages( kick off was 8pm, so this couldn’t have been posted earlier than like 10pm)

The Citadel post game thread is unique because we were in full meltdown mode, but it does seem like there is a trend of the post game threads being less and less active. Again, I realize this is not necessarily the best way to judge fan interest, but it seems interesting, nevertheless.

Personally, I am normally in a bad mood and have a hard time enjoying other games all Saturday when we lose, but the last two weeks I have pretty much completely moved on five minutes after the game. I’ll still be at Bobby Dodd and watch every game, but I’d be lying to you if I told you I feel the same way now that I did right before kickoff against Clemson at the beginning of the year.

What about you guys? Anyone worried about fan apathy or feeling a little yourself?
NOPE.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't say so. I think most fans have less to complain about this time. We had a starting QB for the first time this year. We saw the coaches actually change the game plan.

I think we all know this will go down as one of the worst seasons we can remember. Winning 1 game all year is tough. But hopefully we can continue to see some improvement of the coaching, then the players.

Not apathetic, just less embarrassed.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think apathy has set in. Our fanbase is a little unique in the sense that Engineers tend to be analytical. Most fans knew this was going to be a tough transition and probably a year where we lost a few games that we could have won. The team has played hard and not quit which usually means they are determined to get better and keep working as the year goes along. Fans don’t have as much effort put into the game as the players and their support tends to ebb and flow with wins and losses.

I think there is frustration with Collins due to the uniqueness of the Tech fanbase. In a way CPJ was a good fit for the Tech fanbase. When someone called into the radio show and asked why we went for 2 after a score there was an analytical X and O answer. Collins tends to give high level answers of how the effort based program drives decisions made on game day. Collins is really good at articulating a vision but a large part of the fan base would really like to understand the X and O decision making process. It is just another unique thing about GT.

A lot of fans would like more insight into the X and O strategy in order to understand whether or not the program is progressing. When @Ibeeballin posts a play by play breakdown it gets a ton of views. So, fans still care but they aren’t getting what they need from Collins to stay engaged and bought in to the process.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't say so. I think most fans have less to complain about this time. We had a starting QB for the first time this year. We saw the coaches actually change the game plan.

I think we all know this will go down as one of the worst seasons we can remember. Winning 1 game all year is tough. But hopefully we can continue to see some improvement of the coaching, then the players.

Not apathetic, just less embarrassed.
I agree we started a QB that could be very good but what game plan did the coaches change ? I'm going to say this was the worse game I saw the defense play this year other than Curry.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I agree we started a QB that could be very good but what game plan did the coaches change ? I'm going to say this was the worse game I saw the defense play this year other than Curry.

It looked to me like we did change on the offensive side of the ball. I think the starting QB that everyone knew about helped. I am sure the reps in practice were not split evenly this week. I saw some plays develop differently than in the other games I have been to. It didn't always work but it was different.