Harrell Transferring to Florida

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This works great if you are already a student at the university. But, if you are going to grad school somewhere else it is a little more complicated. At UF you have to have the GRE and a 3.0 GPA. Now, maybe the 3.0 is flexible for football players and maybe Harrell has the grades. In any case, this is not something you decide to do on Thursday and on Friday afternoon you are admitted.

FWIW, Friday was the date for registration for the UF summer mini term that begins today. His announcement about being admitted coincided with that,
I agree changing schools is different. My comment stemmed from the comments about Tech grads still playing, like Washington, after they graduated, but not working towards a Master's.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Found this interesting post on the AJC blog regarding "the transfer"...

"NOVAJacket 2 days ago (that'd be Dated June 27th)
He worked the camp last week, and was doing all team activities up until mid-week. Not the actions of someone planning to leave."

That means he was working the GT camps the weeks of 6/15 and the first half of the week of 6/22.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He did post some racially charged posts on Instagram that were soon deleted. Wonder if that was the reason?
Really? That does surprise me. If true that would be enough to get suspended, no matter which direction it was aimed. Geez. Maybe having something to do with Charleston or such?

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Really? That does surprise me. If true that would be enough to get suspended, no matter which direction it was aimed. Geez. Maybe having something to do with Charleston or such?
Yeah something along those lines, it kind of caught me off guard when I did read it.

MTY

Georgia Tech Fan
MONDAY JUNE 29, 2015Class in Session: First-Year Gators Started Classes on Monday

The UF football team's latest batch of newcomers started classes on Monday. (File photo)
  • scott_carter_mini.jpg
By SCOTT CARTER
GatorZone.com Senior Writer

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The Gators added 16 freshmen from the 2015 signing class and four transfers to the official roster Monday on the first day of classes for the Summer B semester.

The influx of new players provides first-year coach Jim McElwain with more depth than he had in the spring, especially on the offensive line.

28_150411_McElwainJim_6302_RachelMowat.jpg
Gators coach Jim McElwain watches his team during the Orange & Blue Debut in April. (Photo: Tim Casey)

Seven newcomers who began classes Monday are offensive linemen, led by 6-foot-5, 302-poundMartez Ivey out of Apopka High near Orlando. Ivey garnered national attention on the recruiting trail and was considered one of the top tackle prospects in the country his senior season.

Florida’s boost on the offensive line also includes freshmen Nick Buchanan (6-2, 286), Richerd Desir-Jones (6-4, 290), Fred Johnson (6-6, 305), Brandon Sandifer (6-3, 357) and 6-foot-1, 302-pound T.J. McCoy, an early enrollee at North Carolina State in the spring who has transferred to UF.

In addition, graduate transfer Mason Halter (6-6, 295) adds a veteran to the mix up front. Halter (6-8, 297) was a two-time FCS All-American at Fordham University. Halter was a first-team All-Patriot League selection last season for the 11-3 Rams, and started for three seasons at left tackle.

Freshman Tyler Jordan (6-4, 292), another offensive lineman in the 2015 signing class, enrolled during the Summer A semester, as did Vanderbilt graduate transfer Josh Grady (6-0, 202), a quarterback/receiver who has one year of eligibility remaining.

The Gators need playmakers to make McElwain’s offense go and added several who had impressive high school careers, including running back Jordan Scarlett (5-10, 198) out of St. Thomas Aquinas High in Fort Lauderdale.

Scarlett rushed for more than 1,100 yards and 24 touchdowns to earn first-team All-State honors as a senior. Scarlett is joined by another Jordan with South Florida roots in fellow running back Jordan Cronkrite (5-11, 195) of Westminster Christian in Miami.

Cronkrite was a Class 3A all-state selection and rushed for more than 3,000 yards in his prep career. They join a backfield that includes returners Kelvin Taylor, Mark Herndon and Adam Lane, MVP of Florida’s Birmingham Bowl in January.

One of McElwain’s first moves was switching running back Brandon Powell to receiver in the spring to boost that unit’s production. The Gators have another talented receiver on campus in Antonio Callaway (5-11, 198), who played at Booker T. Washington High in Miami last season.

Callaway and early enrollee Kalif Jackson (6-4, 191) have an opportunity to earn playing time as first-year players if they can make an impact at a position the Gators have struggled in recent seasons. Tight end CamrinKnight (6-4, 225) also started classes Monday and joins one of the Gators' deepest position groups.

Meanwhile, transfer quarterback Luke Del Rio (6-1, 216) is in school this semester as a walk-on after transferring from Oregon State.

While bolstering the offensive line has been a primary focus since McElwain took over the program, the Gators have several defensive newcomers on campus for the first week of classes.

The newest member of the team is graduate transfer linebacker Anthony Harrell (6-2, 237), a former standout at Tampa's Jesuit High who has spent the last four years at Georgia Tech. Harrell played in 12 games for the Yellow Jackets last season, finishing with 19 tackles. Harrell is the son of James Harrell, who played for the Gators from 1975-78. He has one season of eligibility remaining.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
From ont of TOS's -

"You don't have to believe me. But, his suspension preceded his decision to leave. That is absolutely what happened."

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Just another source verifying what Techcubed reported 2 days ago. Wasn't trying to take any of Tech to the 3rd's thunder. :)

Basically just verification that what the GTAA staff will state publicly has some credence.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what happened between the end of last season and now, but Anthony wanted to transfer before the offseason began.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know what happened between the end of last season and now, but Anthony wanted to transfer before the offseason began.
Certainly possible.

However you would think that in the 10 weeks since the Spring Game that something would have been said.

I appreciate everything Harrell did on The Flats and that he graduated but the way this situation played out is making GT, CPJ and Harrell all look bad.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Certainly possible.

However you would think that in the 10 weeks since the Spring Game that something would have been said.

I appreciate everything Harrell did on The Flats and that he graduated but the way this situation played out is making GT, CPJ and Harrell all look bad.

True, but he probably would have stayed had he not gotten into UF. Kept it quiet to keep his options open?

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
True, but he probably would have stayed had he not gotten into UF. Kept it quiet to keep his options open?
Keep in mind that a student-athlete can't have contact with a school (and vice versa) without permission from the current school. Had this been in the works for months, he certainly would not have been participating in workouts and other team activities. The incident happened last week, he got suspended, got his release to Florida and transferred.

My assumption is that his father's relationship with Florida helped fast track the entire transfer process. It also illustrates the relationship between football and academics at UF, getting him into school quickly.

Again, the entire deal is unfortunate, but Anthony landed on his feet. Hope he does well in Gainesville.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Certainly possible.

Oh, I think with every passing day it's already out of the news cycle. I think most people would 'get it' that if you look at the long span of time--we're not in the habit of just picking on players for the fun of it. Nor, of kicking players on the way out the door.

Obviously, I'm biased. But, my hunch is that folks probably assume there's a reason things went down the way they did. And they know that the player knows that reason, no matter how he wants to spin that.