Harrell Transferring to Florida

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm a bit disappointed at this since I expected him to have a stellar senior season. He has to make the best choice for himself, however, and I wish him the best of luck with the Lizards. I don't doubt that he'll start.
I also second the comments on Beau Hankins. He is the most underrated LB we have, imho, and should move right in. This also means we might see Mitchell on the field sooner then expected. Since he looks like another Keith Brooking to me, this can't be a bad development.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Since some of you would probably expect me to say something nice about CPJ, let me go ahead and make this observation:
If you want to know the extent to which CPJ has his players' backs--and tries to take care of them--witness the fact that no one has elaborated publicly on why the suspension happened.

Based on what I understand, it appears that CPJ is taking care of business internally. I realize that doesn't help the average person's curiosity. But, Mr. Harrell might be thankful about this sometime later once he has moved on.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the notion this hurts depth. But from what I heard hankins vs harrell was really close 1a and 1b and the dropoff isn't there.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Since some of you would probably expect me to say something nice about CPJ, let me go ahead and make this observation:
If you want to know the extent to which CPJ has his players' backs--and tries to take care of them--witness the fact that no one has elaborated publicly on why the suspension happened.

Based on what I understand, it appears that CPJ is taking care of business internally. I realize that doesn't help the average person's curiosity. But, Mr. Harrell might be thankful about this sometime later once he has moved on.
With this and a lot of stuff coming out of Clemson, where Dabo is known as an enforcer, I finally figured out the justification for those $3 million+ salaries such as Swinney and Johnson get. Half a million, give or take, is for coaching, winning, getting into bowl games, bringing home TV money and on occasion telling the boosters what swell fellows they are, and besides they got good looking wives. Everything else is for dealing with this stuff.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Anyone can say anything they want on Twitter. Before I criticize CPJ about how this was handled, I would like to know more facts. I do not think CPJ can say publicly why Harrell was suspended, so we are not likely to hear anything official about that. But, I am curious as to why the UF football staff has not said anything about this. If he has been accepted as a grad student, they are not prohibited by NCAA rules to confirm his acceptance. Or to include he will be on the UF football team. There is still something a wee tad fishy about this and comments about the suspension like those of @DrJacket make me think it was something pretty serious. If that is the case, maybe UF isn't sure he will be on their team this fall.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Don't forget UF is an sec football factory, if they want him on their team then acceptance into grad school is probably instant

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I am sorry to see him go--to me this means we will be worse off this yr but better for it next yr--how much is the question.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Washington graduated in the summer but still played for us in the fall. Not sure exactly what the rule says but there's precedent for playing after graduation with remaining eligibility.
Georgia Tech doesn't care if you graduate to continue taking classes. Some kides continue on and finish a 2nd major, or just start taking grad classes. I know that after I finished my undergraduate, I just started registering for grad classes. I was working, so I took 1 class a quarter. After about my 4th or 5th class, I approached the Graduate Coordinator in my School and he admitted me as a Master's student because I wasn't being supported by anyone's funding. Never took the GRE's or any other graduate entrance exam.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Since UF is an SEC school, would a suspension jeopardize his ability to join UF? I know they have a weirdly worded rule about troubled transfers. If so, it would explain Anthony's staunch rebuttal.

Either way, we've signed too many 1 yr guys for me to begrudge someone else doing it, even if it's to our detriment.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech doesn't care if you graduate to continue taking classes. Some kides continue on and finish a 2nd major, or just start taking grad classes. I know that after I finished my undergraduate, I just started registering for grad classes. I was working, so I took 1 class a quarter. After about my 4th or 5th class, I approached the Graduate Coordinator in my School and he admitted me as a Master's student because I wasn't being supported by anyone's funding. Never took the GRE's or any other graduate entrance exam.

i wish i had thought of doing that! great job!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This works great if you are already a student at the university. But, if you are going to grad school somewhere else it is a little more complicated. At UF you have to have the GRE and a 3.0 GPA. Now, maybe the 3.0 is flexible for football players and maybe Harrell has the grades. In any case, this is not something you decide to do on Thursday and on Friday afternoon you are admitted.

FWIW, Friday was the date for registration for the UF summer mini term that begins today. His announcement about being admitted coincided with that,