Harrell Transferring to Florida

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Disappointing...really felt he was going to be a difference maker this year.

Best of luck Anthony and thanks for your hard play for the past 4 years!

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Respect to the kid but the passive-aggressive culture always makes me laugh. "I'd like to thank this wonderful program and my family, God, my trainer, and THAT'S A D*** LIE I WAS NEVER SUSPENDED U F***ERS! and the faculty, the dean..."

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Hard to not lose sight of the big picture. Here is a player that contributed on the football field, overcame an injury in the process, and most importantly graduated with a degree from Tech in 4 yrs. That's why you go to school. To get an education. Congratulations Anthony! If he can go to UF for post-grad degree, that's awesome for him.

It's the other stuff we focus on and find frustrating. I think we all hoped he would contribute big time this year with Nealy gone and with his flashes of play in the past. Our D is still thin and experience matters. Now with his leaving, the story is muddled, and we all want the details.

Bottom line, CPJ is upfront and consistent. You break rules, you get suspended, whether you're a 5th yr player or a freshman. We don't know the details and frankly I don't care. I'll miss him, was looking forward to him playing. Good luck at UF. Study hard. Don't break any rules!
This is gets my vote as the most concise and balanced view of the thread (because obviously it fits my feelings too).

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I'm confused a little.

He graduates in the Spring and yet he is back on campus immediately thereafter participating in summer workouts...in anticipation of continuing to play this upcoming season? Was he anticipating being accepted into GT's MBA program? You can't play if you're not enrolled in school, right?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Official GT Twitter announced suspension not AJC. I think @Ibeeballin was questioning why they would do that if a graduating Senior was going elsewhere for grad school/last year.

The AJC confirmed that the suspension occurred today. Since a person can't apply to and get accepted by a graduate school in a day, going to UF cannot have been in response to the suspension (assuming he ends up there).

So, if Harrell does end up at UF next year, then it seems that he applied and waited till he knew he was accepted before going public, and probably even telling the coaches.

The suspension then seems a response to his move and seems, to me, petty, given the circumstances if understood correctly. It may have been procedural, but it sounds like, "You can't quit; you're fired!"

I believe this to be the case....he aplies to UF grad school not telling anyone and when it is discovered by GT, it is described as a Team Rules violation.

But what if he didn't get accepted to UF? Was he on a track to continue school at GT?

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
I'm confused a little.

He graduates in the Spring and yet he is back on campus immediately thereafter participating in summer workouts...in anticipation of continuing to play this upcoming season? Was he anticipating being accepted into GT's MBA program? You can't play if you're not enrolled in school, right?
Washington graduated in the summer but still played for us in the fall. Not sure exactly what the rule says but there's precedent for playing after graduation with remaining eligibility.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
We always have attrition, like so many schools, no matter how well the program is going. Our plight is just a little greater than most. The Graduate Transfers of the game today, only adds to our list.

Get one in Skov, giveth one back!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Washington graduated in the summer but still played for us in the fall. Not sure exactly what the rule says but there's precedent for playing after graduation with remaining eligibility.
He went after another Bachelors Degree if I remember correctly. Permissible if not accepted in a Masters Degree Program, or if the student desires a different concentration of study to further enhance his educational profile.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Official GT Twitter announced suspension not AJC. I think @Ibeeballin was questioning why they would do that if a graduating Senior was going elsewhere for grad school/last year.

The AJC confirmed that the suspension occurred today. Since a person can't apply to and get accepted by a graduate school in a day, going to UF cannot have been in response to the suspension (assuming he ends up there).

So, if Harrell does end up at UF next year, then it seems that he applied and waited till he knew he was accepted before going public, and probably even telling the coaches.

The suspension then seems a response to his move and seems, to me, petty, given the circumstances if understood correctly. It may have been procedural, but it sounds like, "You can't quit; you're fired!"

I don't understand why you think this is the way it played out. We have had TONS of players transfer out during CPJ's tenure and we've never pulled a "no you can't quit, your suspended" card. GT and CPJ over the years have never shown any proclivity at all to this knd of crappy behavior. There's no advantage in it for the program, it would hurt recruiting and be terrible for team moral.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I do think it's a bigger blow than most on here are indicating. I think he was going to be our starting Mike LB - Nealy's replacement. Right before he injured his knee, he was about to become the starter at MLB, jumping ahead of Jabari ... And, we all saw in the one game he did start why that happened - he was head hunting out there - one of the better performances by a LB over the last several years. I felt pretty good about him becoming a starter this year. So, those who are saying it's just a backup LB, no big deal, I believe are understating it. I'm pulling for Beau now, and his progress still gives reason for optimism, BUT, now we're looking at a major depth concern. What if he gets dinged? Then we're probably down to a freshman ... that's not a good thing, even if they're a good player. They're likely to be a liability to the overall success of the defense just due to inexperience. With Harrell and Hankins, it was a good situation. Now, ...?

Missing Harrell may be a slight performance drop off in the early games but I do not see a depth problem, especially if we are predominantly in the 4-2-5. In the middle we still have Hankins, Jackson, and Alford. The other LBs are Davis, Macordes, Noble, and Lewis. Then there is the freshmen competition among Alexander, Mitchell, and Cooksie (any of which could play inside). Lots of talent and potential in this large group for depth. We DO need one to emerge to meet or exceed what we expected from Harrell, and I believe one or more will step up. (Lewis looked the part in the Spring Game for example).

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Missing Harrell may be a slight performance drop off in the early games but I do not see a depth problem, especially if we are predominantly in the 4-2-5. In the middle we still have Hankins, Jackson, and Alford. The other LBs are Davis, Macordes, Noble, and Lewis. Then there is the freshmen competition among Alexander, Mitchell, and Cooksie (any of which could play inside). Lots of talent and potential in this large group for depth. We DO need one to emerge to meet or exceed what we expected from Harrell, and I believe one or more will step up. (Lewis looked the part in the Spring Game for example).
Not sure Cooksey is quite big enough to play inside just yet.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We have an abundance of riches at linebacker. We don't play a mike linebacker but maybe 20% of the time. I think Anthony was a solid player and appreciate his contributions but to say this sets us back is a bit of hyperbole. I would list the linebackers we have on the remaining roster but it would take too many key strokes. It will be interesting to see if a back up ACC linebacker can crack the starting lineup at the mighty SEC powerhouse Florida. I bet he plays more there than he did here.

Go Jackets!

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
What if--
--a 5th year player who had graduated knew he was going to transfer. And, the coaches knew he was going to transfer. But, the transfer process wasn't finished yet. So, technically the player hadn't left the team. The player had not chosen to go ahead and "leave" the team yet, as so many will do once they make their decision. But, the player also had done something--willingly or accidentally-- that violated team rules during this time of limbo.

Then what if-- as with any other player on the roster--that player had to be suspended? What if no one is trying to do anyone wrong? What if no one is trying to be tacky or vindictive as the player is just about to go out the door. But, policies and rules apply to all as long as they choose to still be listed as on the team.
This makes eminently good sense. What doesn't make any sense to me is that I know offhand of no history Anthony had of having problems. I thought you got three strikes, though ideally none are needed?

What I thought was:
1. Anthony graduates, having begun the UF application process;
2. He partays just a little too hard;
3. Coaches hear about that before they hear he has been accepted to UF;
4. At about the same time, he's accepted to UF (or he's accepted and partays just a tad too hard before notifying the coaches);
5. Hence cluster****.

I could see all of that, with any history of misbehavior, which to the best of my knowledge (and I don't keep good track), Anthony didn't have. Which leads me to believe that the rules violation must have been pretty serious, which is also inconsistent with someone who hasn't had rules problems before now.

In any event -- I wish Anthony the best, thank him sincerely for his time, his hard work, and his good play, here, and ask him please to terrorize and demolish the dwags this fall.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Having heard some detail on his situation (and no, not from CPJ), I again thank him for his service at GT. Most importantly, I am proud that he did his work and got his degree. That accomplishment, while being a dedicated teammate, deserves our admiration. Any SA who manages to juggle all he did for 4 years has done something magnificent.

To Buzz776g's point, no I have never heard a whisper of behavior issues about him up to that time.

That said, I believe young Mr. Harrell needs to move on now very humbly. And, quietly would probably be about right at this point. That would serve him well. Anything less will be disappointing at the moment.