#GTvsMIA Postgame. Tech falls short 33-30

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck
I watched it.

The O - again - was only sporadically effective. Why? Because, imho, we aren't putting our best players on the field for every play. If we concentrated on giving Mason the ball 15- 20 times a game we would benefit. If we had Gibbs on the field at the same time and concentrated on getting him the ball 15 - 20 times as well we would also benefit. I'm at a loss to say why this isn't happening; it's not as if we don't have adequate backups. Btw, I didn't think Sims played badly today; not great, of course, but not badly. He made several good throws and only got intercepted once. Oth, he didn't lead us to victory either. Still a work in progress, given that the coaches don't let him run.
Mason got the ball 11 times for 104 yards
Gibbs got the ball 13 times for 139 yards
Sims ran it many times, hard to decipher from the sacks at the moment. But the coaches do certainly "let him run"

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The negatives have been pointed out above and I agree with many points. Not all. I do see an improving team with upside. We are in every game until the last possession (except Pitt) which is remarkable given our LOS play. We need more maturity and growth there as Minihan's injury made a noticeable difference. Simms was indeed off but again, he is presssured and harassed on almost every dropback. At the start of the year, many here said we might be better and it not reflect in our record. IMO, that is where we are at. I get that the Coastal is not a murderer's row but again, we have been in every game late. This group of young men and coaches do need to learn how to win. Sorry for the optimistic take but I had another entertaining Saturday watching a game that kep me on the edge of my seat. Don't forget this UM team had just beaten two ranked teams on the road so they were hot going into this game.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The negatives have been pointed out above and I agree with many points. Not all. I do see an improving team with upside. We are in every game until the last possession (except Pitt) which is remarkable given our LOS play. We need more maturity and growth there as Minihan's injury made a noticeable difference. Simms was indeed off but again, he is presssured and harassed on almost every dropback. At the start of the year, many here said we might be better and it not reflect in our record. IMO, that is where we are at. I get that the Coastal is not a murderer's row but again, we have been in every game late. This group of young men and coaches do need to learn how to win. Sorry for the optimistic take but I had another entertaining Saturday watching a game that kep me on the edge of my seat. Don't forget this UM team had just beaten two ranked teams on the road so they were hot going into this game.
This is all true but the Miami board has a somewhat different take. Basically, they are saying that it was the worst game the Canes have played all year and that Tech is terrible. IIWII

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I thought the guys played hard today. It was a good effort.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Everybody has covered the train wreck that our defense is, but I'll also point out how disappointed I am with the fact the OL hasn't seemed to progress very much this year and our TEs are still missing in action in year 3.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I have now lost faith in both of our coordinators. It is time for the AD and Geoff to decide what whether he wants to keep his friends or have a chance at continued employment.

2nd half offense, ACC opponents
Miami-99 yards, 7 pts…. after the first TD drive we got 16 yards the rest of the game.
VT-181 yards, 10 pts
Uva- 280 yards, 21 pts. 70 yards, 7 pts after two onside recoveries.
Duke-177 yards, 14 pts
Pitt l-183 yards, 7 pts
UNC-308 yards, 31 pts
Clemson- 204 yards, 3 pts

93 pts in the second half of ACC play, 13.28 points per game in the second half, and that is with the UNC game pulling the average up. Not good enough with this defense. Not good enough period.

The defense has again gave up 500 yards, but got us 9 points. Multiple busted coverages for the 3rd straight week. We have a communication problem, which means we have a coaching problem.

This team is better than last year, they play themselves back into the game but just can’t finish it most of the time, sans Duke. On one hand, I understand Collins thinking we are so close. My opinion is that with good coordinators, we actually win a few of these without having to make those crucial plays late. The best way to not fold during a comeback is to play from ahead.

See you guys next week.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Would love for all the people who confidently explained to me that QB recruiting was nothing to worry about in the ‘21 and ‘22 cycles to check in here.

We’re kneeling down the final seconds of this game if Sims could hit an open guy within 10 yards of the LOS from a clean pocket more than 25% of the time.
This statement deserves nothing but scorn and condemnation.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I would love to be a mediocre team.
"Mediocre" to me is just below "average". Not quite OK, but not terrible. A mediocre team would have more than 3 wins at this juncture of the season. We are pretty bad on both offense and defense but not quite terrible and certainly not "Bottom 25" material.