#GTvsMIA Postgame. Tech falls short 33-30

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I tend to align with both @4shotB and @forensicbuzz on this one. I'll take a stab at answering for me, not for them.

First, it probably needs to be understood that I am not a "CGC fan" and that I find a lot of his used car salesman persona off-putting. The difference is that I recognize that that's personal preference on my part, and does not preclude him from being a quality coach.

Second, we need to at least agree that, while this may or may not have been the "biggest transition in college football history," it was indeed a massive transition in terms of changing over personnel and body types.

So, with that understood, I expect to see 5-7 wins in 2022 and the corner truly turned in 2023 with a chance at a 9-10 win season.

Several reasons for this: Sims will have several years of development, the OL will be more developed and deeper, all other skill position players will be further along in the system, and we will be relying more on handpicked recruits and less on transfer portal diamonds.

This is what I have been saying from the beginning. It's what most non-GT fans I know expected. This was always going to be a tough rebuild. That's why CGC got a 7 year deal. If CGC fails to win 5-6 games next year, I will start to doubt he can accomplish his goals here.
I agree somewhat on the timeline but this is the year I expected 5 wins. I think some biGTime mistakes have been made that haven’t been corrected. If they aren’t corrected this off-season I have not doubt there will be another 3 win season in the cards. If you want a hint I think he should have ditched CDP and Thacker last offseason but I’m sure he thought CDP would be a Sims-whisperer.

It’s been brutal to go through the worst 3 year stretch in my lifetime and I’m sure most of the fan base feels the same.

Saying we need to go through it and actually going through it while UGA is #1 is quite painful to witness. It might turn out to be a low point in GT and a high point for UGA in January.

I’m a sidewalk fan btw who graduated from GA State.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Sims just had a bad day period, if he had been accurate throughout the game-we win. I really don’tunderstand why we didn’t give Yates a shot today if for nothing else than to light a fire under Sims a$$

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not as bummed as I have been after most games this year. I never expected us to be in this one, so to take it to the wire was exciting.

One happy surprise to me was we stuffed Miami several times on short yardage plays. We haven't been doing that at all this year before today.

I only listened on the radio, but it sounded like the offensive line blocked some plays pretty well. We really suffered when Minihan went down.

I am not as pessimistic as most going forward, but I do worry about Sims. I know he is early in his career. I know he is often hurried. But his inability to consistently make what should be easy throws is a problem. If he makes most of those throws today we put up big points. As he gets more game reps and a better line, maybe he'll grow out of it. I wonder if some hotshot QB coach could study his film, work with him in the offseason, and see if he can improve the consistency of his accuracy.

One other thing -- Bedford says on the radio he should be quicker to tuck and run when he sees a big hole. That's another thing that I would expect to get better with live game reps.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I would say when we get better OL play and have more depth. I expect us to be demonstrably better next year. I'm not sold on Thacker yet as a DC at the P5 level. I think CDP is better than everyone whines about. I think our players are young and inconsistent, and as they age and mature, that will get better.

Agree on oline play but if our QB can’t hit an open receiver on a 5 yard crossing route not sure how much that will help in the end.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Read somewhere Yates was not 100%
Quinlin said he traveled but wasn't #2 today. So, it's possible if he were healthy we might have seen him for a couple of possessions today.

I think giving Sims a possession every now and then to stand next to CDP on the sidelines and talk about what's going on in real-time would be very beneficial.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Nah, I'm a GT fan. I bleed White and Gold. I just choose not to tear down my team, any part of my team, even in jest. I try to make my posts relevant and meaningful instead of mean and spiteful.
Not tearing down the team just the coaches and I have had season tickets tickets for 40 year so don't talk about " I bleed White and Gold" I put my money were my mouth is and I went to Southern Tech I didn't have to Follow Tech but I love them and point blank I think the Players need a real coach. not what they have. Would I be pissed off if CGC wins 14 games next year ,NO , but I don't see it

Animal02

Banned
I tend to align with both @4shotB and @forensicbuzz on this one. I'll take a stab at answering for me, not for them.

First, it probably needs to be understood that I am not a "CGC fan" and that I find a lot of his used car salesman persona off-putting. The difference is that I recognize that that's personal preference on my part, and does not preclude him from being a quality coach.

Second, we need to at least agree that, while this may or may not have been the "biggest transition in college football history," it was indeed a massive transition in terms of changing over personnel and body types.

So, with that understood, I expect to see 5-7 wins in 2022 and the corner truly turned in 2023 with a chance at a 9-10 win season.

Several reasons for this: Sims will have several years of development, the OL will be more developed and deeper, all other skill position players will be further along in the system, and we will be relying more on handpicked recruits and less on transfer portal diamonds.

This is what I have been saying from the beginning. It's what most non-GT fans I know expected. This was always going to be a tough rebuild. That's why CGC got a 7 year deal. If CGC fails to win 5-6 games next year, I will start to doubt he can accomplish his goals here.
A good coach would have taken the kids he had, and constructed a game plan to win with those kids, regardless of whether it was what he wanted to be in the long run. These kids have a small window to perform.....throwing away season because it is not the formula you want is selfish and narcissistic. And no....it never had to be a "tough rebuild". GC chose to make it that way......and no about of excuses change that.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not tearing down the team just the coaches and I have had season tickets tickets for 40 year so don't talk about " I bleed White and Gold" I put my money were my mouth is and I went to Southern Tech I didn't have to Follow Tech but I love them and point blank I think the Players need a real coach. not what they have. Would I be pissed off if CGC wins 14 games next year ,NO , but I don't see it
Good for you. No seriously, I say that with no malice. I'm glad you're a fan. But the coaches are part of the team too. When you ridicule the staff, that's not supporting the program. Criticism and ridicule aren't the same thing.

Many of us put our money where our mouth is, so you're in good company.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Next year is going to be the make or break year for Collins tenure.
Bill Connelly has pointed out that if a staff is going to be successful somewhere you almost always see it by year 3. Now, if you want to say Collins' first year was Year 0, then year 3 is next year.
Anything less than 6 wins next year and I simply will have no faith that he can be successful here.

The bigger issue right now is the defense, not the offense. The defense hasn't improved anywhere in 3 years under these coaches. Frankly, to my eyes they look worse. You can blame that on the players if you want. But if you are going to say that it is an issue of experience, then you should see improvements - even within a season. We are not seeing that at all.

They are among the worst P5 teams in every single defensive measure. A well coached team may simply lack the talent to make plays, but will at least look coherent in how they play. I don't see that at all with the defense. It really looks like they have no idea what they are doing out there alot of the time. To me that is simply bad coaching.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
A good coach would have taken the kids he had, and constructed a game plan to win with those kids, regardless of whether it was what he wanted to be in the long run. These kids have a small window to perform.....throwing away season because it is not the formula you want is selfish and narcissistic. And no....it never had to be a "tough rebuild". GC chose to make it that way......and no about of excuses change that.

Exactly!! He put players in a position to fail doing things they couldn’t do. Never understood why he didn’t run some sort of run based spread the first couple of years. The logic of “getting more reps for everyone in our system” doesn’t make sense when Graham was gone after a year anyway. Not sure if he was too stubborn or didn’t want to give Johnson’s players any credit for what they were good at or what. Square peg doesn’t fit well in a round hole. Just a really bad call in my opinion.