#GTCamp2016

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
So the Brad Stewart comment...was CPJ saying that Brad feels like he can't play baseball because he needs to devote time to getting bigger and stronger, or was he saying that he should play baseball so he can spend more time working out, etc.?

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
So the Brad Stewart comment...was CPJ saying that Brad feels like he can't play baseball because he needs to devote time to getting bigger and stronger, or was he saying that he should play baseball so he can spend more time working out, etc.?
I took it as the first. He could've played, but he came to play football, so he'll devote his time to that.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have to admit I am now overly optimistic after hearing CPJ at media days and now today. This team has a chip on their shoulders and I feel strongly this will be a good year. The chemistry is much better and everyone has busted their butts in the off-season and this is the best shape I have seen the team in years. We also have some very key players who have graduated and will not have the stresses of school to deal with. Guys like JT, Burden, Kallon. If we can stay healthy...look-out!

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
I think that last point (re: graduating/stress) is a huge point... I remember well my days in the 80's as a EE undergrad... Gate classes like EE3200/3250... The pressure was unbelievable... The shaft was felt every damn day... Add to this workouts? Not just regular, SAC workouts, but the real thing? Getting your mind around a CPJ playbook? I remember Stefan Scotten, the kid from Cleveland, TN who was there just after me - not just starting fullback, but a EE dean's list student (I managed a paltry 2.7)... I remember thinking to myself, "How the hell does ANYONE mange to do THAT?"

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Kidding aside, it takes time for kids to grow into the college game and learn the speed. There were too high of expectations on him last year; but he had to carry the load since there were so few other players left. CPJ is so right that he can lead but the kids have to do the work and get bigger, stronger, faster and learn their positions. The other teams are full of players who want to win too and have been doing that.
Being "college ready" physically is a lot about where recruiting ratings come from, I feel. Every year you'll see the biggest, strongest players get high ratings even if they don't quite have the technique. Kind of like Francis Kallon being a 4* even though he won't really make an impact until this year. Or that Ben Cleveland kid who went to uga and likely won't play for awhile. Which is also why I think GT thrives by getting players who won't quite physically mature until year 3 (Keshun Freeman), but are still talented.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Now that Brad is bigger and stronger, maybe he can play O and D and ST? (tic) Kidding aside, it takes time for kids to grow into the college game and learn the speed. There were too high of expectations on him last year; but he had to carry the load since there were so few other players left. CPJ is so right that he can lead but the kids have to do the work and get bigger, stronger, faster and learn their positions. The other teams are full of players who want to win too and have been doing that.

I never was into the Carvell overhype or whatever that was. I was impressed that he decided to not do something that he would like to do in order to correct issues that he noticed with his play and prepare for next year.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think that last point (re: graduating/stress) is a huge point... I remember well my days in the 80's as a EE undergrad... Gate classes like EE3200/3250... The pressure was unbelievable... The shaft was felt every damn day... Add to this workouts? Not just regular, SAC workouts, but the real thing? Getting your mind around a CPJ playbook? I remember Stefan Scotten, the kid from Cleveland, TN who was there just after me - not just starting fullback, but a EE dean's list student (I managed a paltry 2.7)... I remember thinking to myself, "How the hell does ANYONE mange to do THAT?"
I'm pretty sure my parents named me after him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm excited to see who makes a jump this year on offense. A lot of guys were drinking water through a fire hose last season playing as freshmen. Will be excited to see guys like Will Bryan/Trey Klock settle into the OL, all of the skill and athleticism at AB, and the WRs. We know what we have in JeT and what he can do with a good supporting cast. I'm REALLY excited about Shamire's dedication and what it could mean for our OL. Dude is going to be a nightmare for DLs if he keeps it up.

I think Jeune and Stewart will be a really nice combo for us at WR. Stewart is sneaky good, and is going to get better. Jeune is coming into his own and was becoming "the man" at WR last year. Our freshmen and r-FR WRs are probably the most physically gifted group we've had under CPJ...they're just young. I want to see Philpott step out of his injuries and claim a spot in the rotation. We need his speed to take the top off the defense. LOTS of potential in this group...we need a few of them to step up this season.

I like our potential starting 5 on the OL, but the second line concerns me. Hopefully we'll have better luck with attrition this year.

As always, there will be a surprise guy or two to steps it up this year. Who's it gonna be?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm excited to see who makes a jump this year on offense. A lot of guys were drinking water through a fire hose last season playing as freshmen. Will be excited to see guys like Will Bryan/Trey Klock settle into the OL, all of the skill and athleticism at AB, and the WRs. We know what we have in JeT and what he can do with a good supporting cast. I'm REALLY excited about Shamire's dedication and what it could mean for our OL. Dude is going to be a nightmare for DLs if he keeps it up.

I think Jeune and Stewart will be a really nice combo for us at WR. Stewart is sneaky good, and is going to get better. Jeune is coming into his own and was becoming "the man" at WR last year. Our freshmen and r-FR WRs are probably the most physically gifted group we've had under CPJ...they're just young. I want to see Philpott step out of his injuries and claim a spot in the rotation. We need his speed to take the top off the defense. LOTS of potential in this group...we need a few of them to step up this season.

I like our potential starting 5 on the OL, but the second line concerns me. Hopefully we'll have better luck with attrition this year.

As always, there will be a surprise guy or two to steps it up this year. Who's it gonna be?
Philpott and Braun. Both will be starters by game 5.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I really like Parker. Will and him have gotten pretty close. I believe he will play this year. I don't believe he will start unless we have injuries. JMO. This is a complicated system and we have 4 tackles( including Andrew) and the guards are Will and Shamire. I believe Parker is working with the guards .Scott and Brad ( both very physical )are guards and have a year under their belt. CPJ normally plays 3 tackles and 3 guards. The center only comes out if nessary. Parker deff has the right attitude and work ethic.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I really like Parker. Will and him have gotten pretty close. I believe he will play this year. I don't believe he will start unless we have injuries. JMO. This is a complicated system and we have 4 tackles( including Andrew) and the guards are Will and Shamire. I believe Parker is working with the guards .Scott and Brad ( both very physical )are guards and have a year under their belt. CPJ normally plays 3 tackles and 3 guards. The center only comes out if nessary. Parker deff has the right attitude and work ethic.

@flea77 speaking of the Morgans, have the gotten as big as they seem to in the photos I've seen?