#GTCamp2016

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Just curious, how long does it take to do all that cornrow stuff? How do they wash it? I was always just a plain old haircut guy, except I kept losing hair. I did have a buzz cut in the USAF.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
lol, he has to go to Georgia State's campus then
But for real its gotten way better it gets a worse rap than it is, dont get me wrong its not as good as what youll find in buckhead or state but theres plenty of damage Brad can do staying on campus.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Ramblinwreck.com's official #GTCamp16 web page: http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/gtcamp16.html
Head coach Paul Johnson wrapped up the short day by addressing his squad for the first time and praising them for their work since spring practice concluded in April. As a reward for arriving at camp in great overall condition, he told the team that he was cancelling the running tests that are traditionally conducted on the first day of practice.

"We don't need to do (the running test)," Johnson said. "I can see by looking at you that you've worked hard and are in great shape."

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
But for real its gotten way better it gets a worse rap than it is, dont get me wrong its not as good as what youll find in buckhead or state but theres plenty of damage Brad can do staying on campus.
I'll take ur word for it, bc I'm only on campus for games. I have met up with a couple cheerleaders tho and I'm not complaining at all :)

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is rewarding their great effort in the off season, and that is terrific. This team appears to beset for an outstanding season.

woulda been nice if that ship went to another OL recruit last year. But if it doesn't I am happy for MM

just again, an all too often discussion about unused ships IMO

not to get sidetracked, but lets all hope for no injuries in camp on the OL

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
woulda been nice if that ship went to another OL recruit last year. But if it doesn't I am happy for MM

Unless the walk on turns out to be a starter I think most coaches will give a scholarship to a guy who Is a senior so they have the scholarship back the next year. You don't want to just give scholarships out because you have them, that can affect you in recruiting the next year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Where did Muns' ship come from? Was it (a) left unfilled during the recruiting cycle or (b) did it open up when somebody left the team post NSD? Also, if the answer is (a), who was still available late in the process? Muns gives us valuable added depth this year, a last second OL offer true freshman does not.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Where did Muns' ship come from? Was it (a) left unfilled during the recruiting cycle or (b) did it open up when somebody left the team post NSD? Also, if the answer is (a), who was still available late in the process? Muns gives us valuable added depth this year, a last second OL offer true freshman does not.

Cheese not one of us can answer any of these questions as we don't know intimately like the staff does as to WHO coulda come on board. We all just guess at available people etc. Hell none of us knew about late commits we got in the past until last minute...so bottom line, I am sure we could have done better than we did.

The fact remains after our committs for this class WE ALL talked about leaving ships on the table. And we do it often...so we can do better. Lets not act like this program is just given constant bad circumstances. Paul has not done well recruiting to numbers IMO

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Cheese not one of us can answer any of these questions as we don't know intimately like the staff does as to WHO coulda come on board. We all just guess at available people etc. Hell none of us knew about late commits we got in the past until last minute...so bottom line, I am sure we could have done better than we did.

The fact remains after our committs for this class WE ALL talked about leaving ships on the table.
That's why you either trust the coaches or you don't. I defer to the coaches' expertise and strategy. They know the numbers (total and per class), the prospects, the balancing act much better than we fans. They must balance the potential value of offering a last minute prospect in recruiting or saving the ship for w/o or for next year. The main thing I don't want is to become one of those schools that oversigns and is forced to cut players.

There are some benefits to leaving a ship on the table. We depend on a healthy walkon program. We have benefited greatly in the past, I could list names, but I think you know them already. How do you entice viable pwo's without the incentive of earning your way to a scholly?

We also typically have much lower attrition than our competition. This means small classes. You have to be very judicious with who you offer when you have more at stake. Sometimes it makes sense to save a ship for the next year when you know you're looking at a smaller number.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
right. So I don't. Because its just a constant issue IMO. Maybe they don't feel that way. Be we CONSTANTLY talk about this EVERY year. And when you look at our depth and lack of; then ships left on the table its yearly probation. We self impose probation every year cuz we don't do a good job managing this.

just as I don't trust Roof as a DC because he has yet to show he can put a competitive product on the field

and I don't trust Sewak for many reasons

And as a result for SOME things, I think Paul does a POOR job. But every coach has his strengths and weakness's.

Pauls' loyalty is his strength, and his weakness.
I agree that CPJ has weakness, just not sure this is one of 'em. I think there are other things that can be done, out of his control, to improve recruiting. A much bigger staff, for one thing.

I don't believe in grey shirt, blue shirt, whatevercolorintherainbow shirting guys or worst of all, cutting a veteran guy loose in the summer when you realize you've got one too many on ship.

We've also had some luck with summer transfers. You can't do that w/o an available ship.

There's lots of reasons to carry a ship over and then there's your one reason not to. One ship on an 85 man roster is not gonna doom the program, especially when it's usually gone before the next fall begins.

I think you want the staff to gamble that somebody unexpected is gonna leave between NSD and fall camp. I don't agree with that strategy. Yes, it typically happens, but the one time it doesn't, it forces you to do something I believe is unethical.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think you want the staff to gamble that somebody unexpected is gonna leave between NSD and fall camp. I don't agree with that strategy.

yes and no. Its way easier than that when you are in the loop as a coach. Leaves surprise us, not them 90% of the time.

Anyway, Looking forward to camp....I want to see pass pro improve as that helps blow up our offense bigtime. ABs need to show their experience. No OL injuries.

On D I am just praying we become more complex and multiple in looks and in packages. Also I hope we have more back end coverages that make down and distance sense and match better what the front 7 is doing. I also hope that the DL gets the opportunity to not be occupiers...but I am not holding my breath on that one.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
yes and no. Its way easier than that when you are in the loop as a coach. Leaves surprise us, not them 90% of the time.
I'm sure they don't get surprised often. They have post season interviews with each kid to feel them out and to even help them weigh choices by being upfront with possible playing time. They know where each kid stands academically, but one bad test could kill a kid's eligibility so there's a wild card there. The biggest wild card, and luckily something we mitigate with recruiting high character kids, is unexpected dismissal for poor conduct/breaking team rules.

Btw, I'm sure Muns' ship came thanks to Leggett's dismissal. The coaches were probably not even that surprised the situation played out as it did, but they had to give the kid the benefit of the doubt and a chance to make good when his issues first surfaced.