#GTCamp2016

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
to be fair in his point boomer provided no stats stating the contrary either to his point. So both are simply opinions based on impression and general memory. CL is a better AB than DH and its not a debate. His numbers were ridiculously good on a bad offense compared to DH one good year; and he was a freshman. Breaking tackles is great when you need too. CL is downfield quicker and doesn't need to as often; and is shiftier and doesn't need to as often as a result.

I do agree with Boomer in one area though. Our AB potential is good enough Lynch could see reduced time. That says alot about the skill at that position, because Lynch is a starter on many of Pauls teams.

There is no such thing as a perfect player. Guys who are quicker and shiftier often don't and WILL NEVER break tackles like pounders. But pounders aren't shifty and have lower YPC usually but get tough yards. DH was not as shifty a guy, he was bit a more drudger so his style was a tad more contact. CL is not that type of AB. So for me the stat of TAC for this debate is a bit pointless.

The only stat that matters is does he TRY to get the tough yard. And he does. He may not get it, because its not the player he is or ever will be...but he tries. By the same token DH TRIED to make the move to get into space and have a higher YPC like Lynch. But he didn't, because its not who he was either.

Its a bit of a silly debate. For every time lynch didn't succeed getting the tough yard, DH didn't succeed in making a guy miss and getting 10 more yards, which is another 1st down and equivalent to getting one tough yard on 3 and 1. The whole debate is a wash
This has been a great discussion, but you are certainly right that the "debate" isn't really that important anyway because the season is going to unfold either way regardless. You are correct in that I am not backing up my position with stats. To do so wouldn't carry that much weight anyway. You make the point that CL racked up yards on a bad offense and the fact that it was a bad offense makes his numbers look even better. I would actually counter this argument another way highlighting why I chose not to use stats to start with. I could argue that CL got as many yards as he did precisely because we were a bad offense. He was our best option at the time and received a ton of snaps that he probably wouldn't have in a better year. When you look at who DH had to compete against just to get on the field, you may see my point. It is difficult to forecast how much time CL would have gotten if everybody was healthy or how many snaps/yards DH would have gotten if he was available last year. In any case, I am extremely grateful for CL's contributions and I am rooting for him this season.

One of the things I feel I have done poorly in this discussion overall is allow this thing to turn into a CL vs DH argument. I used DH's name primarily just to make a point. My overall point in all of this is that the AB position last year was not nearly dynamic enough and is highly likely to be a lot more so this season. I feel sure the bar is being raised. Here is to hoping that CL clears the bar with everybody else. CHEERS!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It seems to me that it's important to treat subjective positions as subjective rather than objective. Unless we have data on yards after contact, it's a subjective perspective subject to confirmation bias. Tifwiw.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So, back to the camp.

CPJ's reaction when asked about Mills is pretty striking. It almost looks like he has to stop himself from being overly positive.

Overall, it looks like his opinion of the team is still night and day from last year.

Could part of it it be coach has figured out what caused the 2015 senior ladened ol to look so slow to piint of attack?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Really encouraging quotes about the OL, too. Complimenting FB on line calls and leadership, also getting to the next level. Seemed pleased with three G rotation of WB, SD, and fr.Braun. I think G-C-G could be as strong as it's ever been, which is, of course, the key to establishing the BB.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
So, back to the camp.

CPJ's reaction when asked about Mills is pretty striking. It almost looks like he has to stop himself from being overly positive.

Overall, it looks like his opinion of the team is still night and day from last year.

I thought the guy asking the last question was joking, asking about Mills after coach had already praised him repeatedly him.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
This has been a great discussion, but you are certainly right that the "debate" isn't really that important anyway because the season is going to unfold either way regardless. You are correct in that I am not backing up my position with stats. To do so wouldn't carry that much weight anyway. You make the point that CL racked up yards on a bad offense and the fact that it was a bad offense makes his numbers look even better. I would actually counter this argument another way highlighting why I chose not to use stats to start with. I could argue that CL got as many yards as he did precisely because we were a bad offense. He was our best option at the time and received a ton of snaps that he probably wouldn't have in a better year. When you look at who DH had to compete against just to get on the field, you may see my point. It is difficult to forecast how much time CL would have gotten if everybody was healthy or how many snaps/yards DH would have gotten if he was available last year. In any case, I am extremely grateful for CL's contributions and I am rooting for him this season.

One of the things I feel I have done poorly in this discussion overall is allow this thing to turn into a CL vs DH argument. I used DH's name primarily just to make a point. My overall point in all of this is that the AB position last year was not nearly dynamic enough and is highly likely to be a lot more so this season. I feel sure the bar is being raised. Here is to hoping that CL clears the bar with everybody else. CHEERS!
One data point we have to enter now in this "just for fun" debate is CPJ's continued praise of Clinton in camp this year. He's been asked at least twice now that I've heard over the last few days if there was anybody standing out at AB and he said both times that nobody really was except for Clinton Lynch and said that he was having a good camp. I've been surprised at that actually. I've been drug by the hype train like everybody else regarding several of our other AB's (especially Cottrell and Green). It's so easy to hear something about a player and then let your mind blow it up into something bigger than it is and next thing you know the guy is superhuman in your mind. So, right now, we have to go with CPJ's comment - of all of these riches we have at AB (Cottrell, Green, Griffin, Ike, Searcy, Jarrett), Clinton Lynch is doing the best in camp right now.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
One data point we have to enter now in this "just for fun" debate is CPJ's continued praise of Clinton in camp this year. He's been asked at least twice now that I've heard over the last few days if there was anybody standing out at AB and he said both times that nobody really was except for Clinton Lynch and said that he was having a good camp. I've been surprised at that actually. I've been drug by the hype train like everybody else regarding several of our other AB's (especially Cottrell and Green). It's so easy to hear something about a player and then let your mind blow it up into something bigger than it is and next thing you know the guy is superhuman in your mind. So, right now, we have to go with CPJ's comment - of all of these riches we have at AB (Cottrell, Green, Griffin, Ike, Searcy, Jarrett), Clinton Lynch is doing the best in camp right now.
Way back in one corner of my mind, I've wondered if all we hear about Clinton was a smokescreen to keep other guys under the radar. Then again, I was out there today. And, Clinton really did stand out. You just look up and CL is advancing the ball. Consistently. Same thing last year. Coach is a pretty straight-shooter, and I am tempted to think he is about CL.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Way back in one corner of my mind, I've wondered if all we hear about Clinton was a smokescreen to keep other guys under the radar. Then again, I was out there today. And, Clinton really did stand out. You just look up and CL is advancing the ball. Consistently. Same thing last year. Coach is a pretty straight-shooter, and I am tempted to think he is about CL.

Did Jordan or Marshall QB the 75 play drive?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Sorry Boomer also- while I agree CL (Freshman) has not yet reached the performance of Deon Hill (Senior), he made several plays where he finished runs strong for extra yards and several where he made moves (two of which he scored) beyond what I suspect most of us expected. Throughout the course of the games in 2015 CL gave us some positive excitement on O where there was otherwise not so much. No doubt Searcy and L Griffin would have generated much excitement had they played in more games.

IMO CL has not been given his due by this forum, starting with his true freshman year when this forum put him in total obscurity. After I asked a certain moderator multiple times (three times ignored) about CL's progress I was finally told that he was on the scout team and was not even playing AB (go away, he is not even a factor). Even CPJ when asked about CL in the 2015 Camp said "oh he is just trying to get on the bus".

For a freshman not even expected to play I thought CL had a very good 2015 season and deserves praise for his accomplishments. If other players are better this season that is best for the team and I will be on board to praise them. For 2015 the praise for AB play should go to CL.

I've got to admit that CL played at a higher level than thought he would in 2 yrs.He was the most dependable Aback to me.Not to say he can't( and needs) to get better.Its was a 3-9 team.

fairweatherhater

Georgia Tech Fan
Really encouraging quotes about the OL, too. Complimenting FB on line calls and leadership, also getting to the next level. Seemed pleased with three G rotation of WB, SD, and fr.Braun. I think G-C-G could be as strong as it's ever been, which is, of course, the key to establishing the BB.

Good point. This is likely having an effect on CPJ's comments about the BBs. I will be keeping my glass half full on the Mills comments either way. :)

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Did Jordan or Marshall QB the 75 play drive?
My initial impression was that it was Justin. I remember him saying Justin looked really sharp early, and I thought I remembered him saying the 20 play drive was the first drive. But, I'm not 100% on that.

Edit: Just saw on RW.com, it says that the long drive took place midway through the scrimmage, so I was probably wrong above.
Also saw where it says that a top individual defensive performance was DB Step Durham with a pair of sacks. That isn't what you'd expect to hear about a defensive back, especially with what I've usually seen with our defense. Corner blitz? Adds a little more intrigue to that report, at least to my mind.

Last edited:

fairweatherhater

Georgia Tech Fan
Could part of it it be coach has figured out what caused the 2015 senior ladened ol to look so slow to piint of attack?

One of the issues last year was an overall reduction of effort. That's where the McKayla Maroney CPJ meme came from last year:

paul-johnson-mckayla-maroney-face-georgia-tech.jpg

Local news just thought it was funny, but he was trying to express that the team had real problems. CPJ has stated repeatedly that effort has not been an issue so far this year.